Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Finally posting some pics....

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

It's been a crazy few weeks. I have had noooo time to get anything done. The irises and early rose blooms are so numerous that I'm taking photos every day, several times a day, and it takes forever to download, tweak and organize the thousands of them. (plus trying to ID many of the irises) Finally I'm getting caught up tho. The irises are winding down, and now I'm gonna have to deadhead and weed and clean up!! It's been a very weird spring. Rain rain rain, cold, freezing temps into the end of May and possibly into June. I hate it. Normally this time of yr it's heading into the high 90's. It's been averaging 46-60 degrees the last few weeks. The blackspot is rampant and the weeds are out of control. But the rose blooms have been larger than ever before. Many are averaging over 5" wide! They love the colder temps, but the B/S is awful, so please ignore it in the photos!

Here's a few of what's been blooming over the last few weeks....

ADRIANA

{{gwi:1228278}}

AMBER QUEEN

{{gwi:1228279}}

APRICOT QUEEN ELIZABETH

{{gwi:1228281}}

BOTTICELLI

{{gwi:1228282}}

CITRUS TEASE

{{gwi:1228284}}

COTTAGE ROSE

{{gwi:1228286}}

ELIZA

{{gwi:1228288}}

FULTON MACKAY - this one was close to 6"!

{{gwi:1228289}}

GYPSY CURIOSA

{{gwi:1228290}}

MANOU MEILLAND

{{gwi:1228291}}

MOM'S ROSE

{{gwi:1228292}}

PAINTED MOON

{{gwi:1228293}}

PERFECTLY RED

{{gwi:1228294}}

SUNNY ABUNDANCE

{{gwi:1228295}}

Comments (17)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

What a coincidence! Beth these past few days I was thinking, Where is Beth???? where are her roses?

This is thrilling to see them again!!

I love Adriana, Manou Meilland, and Fulton Mackay! and Perfectly Red, but then I'd have to backtrack and rename all of the roses to add as well to the "gorgeous list".

Beth, we are also being pelted with unending, nightmarish rains in Kansas City this entire spring season. It is a total living nightmare and the rains are killing my grass too. I've got swashes of dead brown grass from the rains. And I hate walking through all this sopping mud bath. Yeah, anyone who says that unending rains doesn't bring tons of blackspot is crazy. I was about to go nuts when I saw a recent posting saying that rains help wash away the BS. Sheesh! tell that to our local nurseries. They spray fungicides and they've got plenty of polka dots with the rains we keep getting blasted with. So I fully sympathize!!!!

Anyway, it's a beautiful treat to see your beautiful roses again!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I can do without 90 degrees but this warm drizzle has caused Handel to totally defoliate from rust!

The blooms are looking perfectly lovely. Love Manou Meilland. Will have to look up Apricot Queen Elizabeth. She is a beaut.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Nice roses, Beth. If you haven't mentioned blackspot, I probably wouldn't even see it:-). My roses have a lot of blackspot too, especially some baby Pernetianas and early HTs. Oh well, maybe it will warm up soon...

Masha

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses. My favorite is PAINTED MOON with that blending of colors.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I really like Mom's Rose

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses, Beth, every one. But you forgot about the rust and powdery mildew that also love this cool, damp awful excuse for spring. Despite the fungus fantasyland, the roses ARE loving it.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

I love Gypsy Curiosa, Fulton MacKay, Cottage Rose (oh my) and Citrus Tease. Cottage Rose is out of this world gorgeous!!! Does it bloom much?

Thanks for the eye candy!!

Carol

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

BETH. You might have BS in your roses, but I didn't see anything but a bunch of gorgeous, beautiful roses.I would also let you have our 93 degree temps we been having,and it feels like 98 and hasn't started getting hot yet.It usually gets to 100 here in the summer with the high humidity.I can't handle the heat in the summer...

Jean

• dove_song
    13 years ago

We've been having rain, rain, rain with more of the same forecasted for us here in Spokane, Bethie. (although today we are having a brief respite, whew!) so I can empathize with your feelings. Bah, humbug!! But on a happier note, it sure is great to see you posting again. Missed you, girl! :)

Thanks for sharing your awesome variety of roses--of which my favorite today is 'Painted Moon'.

Have a good one despite the rain!

Debbie

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey thanks everybody! Sorry, I've been busy again.... Finally the rains quit (for now).

Kathy I have a minimal amount of powdery mildew, and I never get rust. Oh wait, I take that back.... I do occasionally get some on just one rose.. my FALL FESTIVAL mini. But other than that, no rust on anything else.

My husband and I were out working in the yard all day today. It was great! We took down the metal frame of the old gazebo in the backyard. The fabric ripped and the top frame pieces were broken a couple yrs ago. I left it up and had potted roses all around it, but it looked like crap. So we took it all down and I rearranged the potted roses and added some from another pot ghetto area. It'll be much nicer now.

I was trying to take some more pictures awhile ago, and all of a sudden my camera quit. Well, let's say the lens quit working. It's all black. No view in the viewfinder or the LCD viewer. The camera is about 6yrs old and I can't get replacement batteries for it anymore. Plus the memory disk is obsolete too. So, I guess it's time to buy a new one. I'm not sure what to get tho. This was a Sony Cybershot, and it was a good camera, but I always had a hard time with reds. My husband says he was playing around with it and it came back. I haven't tried it since, but I expect it will go out again anyway. I'll try to get the last batch of pics posted soon. Gotta go see how they came out and then tweak 'em so I can upload them.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

Beth, your roses are gorgeous, as usual. I have been looking for Citrus Tease - cant find it anywhere but GroQuest and have been hesitant to order from them. Where did you get yours - can you suggest a source? If push comes to shove, should I try Groquest? Your garden must be fabulous with so many beauties! Thanks for sharing!
    Judith

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

What wonderful roses, Beth! When are you opening a nursery?:-)

Masha

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Beth so pretty! Love that Amber Queen especially. But your roses are always gorgeous. Not to mention your iris. Have we had an iris thread from you yet?:)

I am definitely with you on the blackspot. It has NEVER been this bad before. I'm going to actually have to do something about it after yet another rainy afternoon yesterday.

My first rose of the season is going to fully open today I think, Molineux. Followed by Benjamin Britten. I can barely believe how far behind my garden is with this years weather.

Have a great weekend and appreciate your wonderful photos. By the way I sent you an email earlier this week but not sure you received it. Take care.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judith, don't order from Growquest!! They are a nightmare! And I doubt if they really have it. I don't know of anyone who actually has CITRUS TEASE anymore, altho, you might contact Pat at Roses Unlimited. I know they carry quite a few older J&P roses, and maybe they might have it.

Mash, I wish I had the time and money to do so, but so far, it ain't gonna happen!! LOL Besides, I'm not very good at rooting cuttings!

Kate, I did get your email, and I apologize for not answering you yet. I'm so busy and so tired by the time I get done in the evenings I barely get to even look at anything online. I'm spending so much time editing the photos. It takes hours. My husband did get the camera to work again, so I've still been taking tons of pics, even in between these infernal rainstorms. I am so absolutely sick and tired of rain and cold temps I could just scream! You're so right, everything is so far behind, and the BS is so out of control, I don't know if I will ever get rid of it this yr. And now the deer have come back too. I knew it was just a matter of time. Now I'm going to have to spray the repellent. If it ever quits raining long enough!!

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Oh Beth don't worry. If that appeals to you just get back with me at your convenience. From the sounds of it you don't need yet another 'to do' item on your list:)

Thanks.

Kate

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Gosh Beth, they are all so pretty. I've always liked the bright colors, so my eyes immediately caught Citrus Tease. And someone else mentioned how nice Eliza was to me. How does the form hold for you? It doesn't look like it has that many petals. Manou Meilland has kind of the same color and I like the nice rounded bloom.....Hope the rain stops for you so you can get lots more pictures.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Stunning as usual. I just love the bloom on PERFECTLY RED.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!