Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organicgardendreams

Some more Spring Roses from my Garden

Here are some more photos from my garden from yesterday:

Iceberg reaching its peak.

Anna Pavlova (older HT). I had to wait one year for this band to bloom, but I was highly rewarded. I love the delicate color of the flower and the fragrance is quite strong.

Pretty Jessica. Mine is still nodding.

New companion plant, white Scabiosa.

My favorite Old Garden Rose right now: Mme. Ernest Calvat.

Eden, Climbing.

Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Devoniensis, Climbing. First flower on a new band. I am smitten with the ivory color of the bloom. Fragrance is also lovely.

Memorial Day, reliable pumping out blooms.

Zephirine Drouhin to the left is beyond her peak, but Eden to the right is coming into her own.

Pope John Paul II, I am still excited about every new bloom of this wonderful white Hybrid Tea rose, which is relatively new to me.

{{gwi:1228323}}

Guest.

Thanks for looking!

Christina

Comments (16)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

More garden shots!
    I love love love your white roses with the silvery foliage.

Ever since I first got interested in roses, I have wanted to plant Zeffy with Eden (my favorite). You did it! Beautiful.
    Renee

• Carrie_AZ
    13 years ago

OH MY!! So pretty!! I just love the Anna Pavlova and the Pretty Jessica. I have to have these 2. The Pretty Jessica's blooms look huge, I would like to see one fully open. Also the Cl.Devoniensis is pretty I have been looking for a climber to put by the front door and I have put this one on the list as a 3rd choice( I have a 1st 2nd and 3rd choice list) for this fall. I have a archway at the entrance to my front door area and I have been looking for a rose to plant there to climb up and over the archway. I have been looking for a light pink but this one is so pretty and I like that it has fragrance.
    Thanks for sharing those.
    Carrie

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Anna Pavlova and Devoniensis look so delicate. Beautiful.

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Your garden is lovely, view too. The Anna Pavlova is beautiful...my favorite color.Please post more garden shots when you have the time. I really enjoyed looking. Lesley

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Renee, glad that you like my white Icebergs with the silvery leaved companion plants. This bed is still in the making, but so far I am pleased how it turned out.
    In my opinion Zephirine Drouhin and Eden are both wonderful climbing Roses, both with their own strengths and weaknesses. ZD has a fragrance that is truly hard to beat, but the flower shapes are not very special if you look at one specific bloom. ZDs repeat is not great for me so far. Eden's flowers on the other hand are just perfection, but she has a light scent. She has repeated reliable with at least a decent flush in Autumn. Follow your heart and plant them in your garden, too, I am sure you will not regret it.

Carrie, Pretty Jessica is a lovely rose with a very strong pleasant fragrance. The flowers are not that huge, maybe three inches, but my rose is still young and growing in a pot. Unfortunately I don't have an open flower shot at hand, but they open from a very globular form into a flat shape. Maybe there are some fully open shots on HMF?
    As I said Anna Pavlova is new to me, but very promising. She is a little hard to get. Just in case you are interesting in buying her, I got mine from Vintage Gardens.
    Climbing Devoniensis gets huge. Just make sure that your archway can accomodate a rose of this size. I myself I am not sure if I can grow her as mature specimen, but just had to try this rose and see her beauty for myself.

iris gal, I am always moved by delicate looking roses and I am happy that you like them, too.

Lesley, my garden is still young and relatively small and we are moving forward slowly in designing and planting areas. So unfortunately there are not too many more garden shots to show :-(, but if I can catch some more nice scenes with the camera I will post them, promised!

Christina

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos--I enjoyed seeing some of your garden, it's wonderful and will only get better and better. 'Devoniensis', I think I need that one!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!

My favs are OLOG, Pretty Jessica, Iceberg!!!, and Memorial Day!!!

I was just stunned at Iceberg - I don't think I've ever seen a bush shot of it - or at least not one as spectacular as yours!!!

Thanks so much!!

Carol

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos Christina!! I see from your profile you are in San Diego? I thought you might be in Northern CA. I didn't know there were scrub jays that far south. I don't ever remember seeing any when we lived in SD. And in fact, I grew up in Oxnard, and never ever saw a jay of any kind! How interesting!

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Lovely roses, Christina. I love your white bed, your Icebergs are fantastic! Zeffy looks great too.

Masha

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Christina, your pics are incredible, you've really captured the wonderful quality of the roses.

I, too, grow Mme Ernst Calvat. I planted mine a year ago, love the fragrance and blooms.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Gorgeous new photos and I love your Guest-in-the-Garden!

Anna Pavlova is EXQUISITE, and so are Mme Ernst Calvat and Climbing Devoniens! Even Lady Guadalupe shows sheer elegance the way you portrayed her.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Fantastic---what a wonderful garden. That picture of Iceberg is gorgeous.
    Florence

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again to everyone for your very nice and encouraging comments. Always makes me want to improve as a gardener!

hoovb. If I have enabled Y O U to a rose, I guess that would make me a Rosarian ;-)! I have to admit you are one of my garden idols!

Carol, for some reasons Iceberg roses simply love Southern California and all the rain that we had this year has just let them explode into the spring flush.

Beth, I am glad that you like my photos. As for the scrub jays, I don't recall seeing them the first two years that we have been here, but this winter suddenly they showed up at the feeder.

Masha, I am always happy if someone likes my "White Bed". I guess there are people, who think it is just plain boring or too monotone, but I like to experiment with the nuances of white and find it very exciting!

Krista, thank you so much for your wonderful compliment, that is rather flattering! I didn't know that your Mme. Ernest Calvat is also so young. It might be interesting to compare how our roses are doing in the very different climates that we are gardening in.

Serena, it is always nice to have bird guests in the garden, isn't it? You have a very eloquent way to use words "Even Lady Guadalupe shows sheer elegance the way you portrayed her", thanks for saying that!

Florence, it gives me joy that you like my garden!

Christina

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Christina, the quality of your photography is really superb and your roses are simply beautiful. I can't believe how many blooms are on your Iceberg; I'm just impressed in every way.

Ingrid

• carla17
    13 years ago

Your photos are so great and it looks like you have beautiful surroundings for them too.

Carla

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Ingrid for your kind words regarding my photos and my roses. For some reason the Icebergs are outdoing themselves this year!

Carla, I am glad that you like my pics!

Christina