Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

May Garden Shots

the_dark_lady
10 years ago

I have thousands close-ups of my roses but way too few garden shots. Please take a look at my attempt to fix the problem:)
Marina

I also would like to ask your opinion on my concrete edgers. I was so proud I started edging my rose beds, but heard from couple of my friends that they don't like them at all. I need to decide whether I keep edging the rest of my beds or get rid of the edgers completely.

Thank you very much in advance,
Marina

Comments (26)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Wow Marina!!! Your garden is even more beautiful when you see the beds from afar! This is exactly what I want my garden to look like when its mature :)

I kind of like the concrete edgers by the way. I have similar ones in my backyard, but mine are grey, and in the frontyard I used river rocks. I think I like the look of the river rocks, but the cement ones control the weeds better...decisions, decisions. The tan concrete ones look much better than my grey ones though...I say keep them!

Cute pup too!

Tammy

• inga007
    10 years ago

What a huge, lovely and neat garden. With so many roses, must be a lovely perfume.
    I like the lovely, concrete hedge, very much, but then, each to his own.

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

Marina, your gardens are amazing. I'm truly jealous. You are very talented in your garden planning! As for the concrete edgings. Why did you want them, to the have a use other than decorative? By asking the question at the end of all your pictures I can honestly say sometimes my eyes went to the concrete instead of the garden. I don't dislike them, but I don't think you need them, as where you don't have them the gardens are equally as nice. Wow, I just wish I had your talent of planning your yard is truely beautiful

• amerique2
    10 years ago

Outstanding! What an eye you have! Thanks for sharing these. I'm sure edging does help with grass control and defining the beds. I'd do whatever pleases you.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

You're gardens look great. Myself, I like the look of the edging. It gives everything a good crisp, clean look.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, guys, for your kind comments and your output on the edging.
    Yes, my edging serves double purpose - both 'decorative' and weed controlling.
    I thought, I might add a little bit color to the edging stones themselves (I have a special dark brown die that can be applied with spray tank).
    This is my first year experience with these stones, but I had my doubts about the appearance of the whole thing. As for the weed control, it helps a lot - mulch stays in place, also I can spray Round-Up on the outside perimeter to keep weeds from crawling in.
    Marina

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Wonderful garden shots, marina--and I like the background landscape also. Your roses look so rich and happy--but how do you possibly find time to weed all those beds?

I like the edgers. Was it the edgers your friend was objecting to, or the type of edger? They come in so many different styles--you might try a couple different styles out and see if that makes a difference.

Possibly you might edge the beds around and close to the house and leave the further off beds in a more "natural" state. Just a thought.

Either way, your gardens are absolutely wonderful.

Kate

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I can't think of anything to say right now. Maybe I'm speechless.

• humble5zone9atx
    10 years ago

Lovely house and a lovely garden

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Marina, your gardens are gorgeous! The roses all look so lush and healthy. And so many blooms!!!

I love the edging! It suits your beautiful home perfectly. I agree that the edging helps a great deal with weed control and for me it keeps the grass from creeping into my garden space. It also keeps his nibbs from mowing into my beds. He gets a little crazy on the tractor sometimes, lol!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Your garden is so well designed, Marina, with such abundant plantings and just enough looseness to the beds which never look too stiff and formal. There is an exuberant cottage feel to the plantings which I love. It's a truly spectacular thing you've done.
    I think Kate's idea of using the edgers up close to the house, while farther away the beds could be a little wilder with no edgers, is a good one.
    Thanks for posting such beautiful photos. Diane

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Okay, on my third time here being swept up in how beautiful it all is, I finally read what you wrote and noticed the edgers. I think brick the same color as the house would look better. The effect of the edgers is a bit stockade-like to my eye.
    Renee

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Unbelievable!! I could never imagine a yard like that ever - and yet you designed and built it. I am in awe!!!!!
    Carol

• leezen4u
    10 years ago

ABSOLUTELY Stunning!

Anyone looking at the edging just does not appreciate your roses!!!! I like it - unique and I bet it will age gracefully.

You've elegantly captured natures beauty.

Lee

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Marina your garden is absolutely gorgeous! You're lucky to have such a beautiful place. As for your edgers, I personally don't like them myself. To me, they take away from the beauty of your plantings. They're too rigid and unnatural for such a beautiful setting. I think you should do something like river rock edging. That's what I have around my beds. The random shapes, sizes and colors of the rocks look more natural, blend in and don't detract from the focal point, which is your wonderful roses! Just my opinion.

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting photos of your very beautiful garden. I wish more people would post photos like these because to tell the truth, I've always found closeup rose photos to be kind of boring. I mean, they are pretty, but they are all basically the same. I love to see how people have their landscaping laid out and how they incorporate their roses into it.

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

Hi, Marina. I've been hoping since last winter while you were doing the alphabet postings for some garden shots this spring. They are even better than I could imagine: simply gorgeous! Because you have such a pretty, smooth lawn I think edging is a nice feature to separate and say, "here is my lawn. and here is my garden." I think what you've chosen coordinates well and soon it will take on a more weathered look. And the maintenance issues you face must be pretty significant; anything that would make your chores easier is a high priority, I'd think.

In the end, do what makes YOU happy!!! We're all going to think you're incredible no matter what you decide.

Happy Spring, Marina, you've created a masterpiece.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my! Been away from the Internet for a while. Sorry for not responding sooner.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, guys! For your kind comments and for your opinion on the 'edger project'!
    As always, your comments are very friendly, helpful and wise.
    Yes, I think I will do the edging just around the house area (which is pretty big!) and leave the 'faraway' beds as they are now - natural:)
    And, yes again, the edgers help quite a lot to define the beds and keep weeds at bay.
    Once again, thank you very much for your time and for all the comments and suggestions!
    GardenWeb rose community rocks, as always! :)
    Marina

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

This garden is worthy of one of the stately homes of England, and just about the most impressive and artistic I've seen here. I think the edging is fine, and some of the companion plants may droop over the edges just a bit to give a softer look. Considering the advantages it gives you, I'd definitely keep it. It's not at all unattractive, and will probably weather into something softer with time. Again, a most beautiful and impressive garden.

Ingrid

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

absolutely stunning!! wow!!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Grand and sweeping! I would like to occasionally see a creeping plant spilling over the edging. It would soften them a bit.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, Ingrid!!! Your words are like music to my ears. I absolutely agree - the edgers just need some time to weather, companions to grow bigger and fuller... It is going to be all right. Eventually :)

Thank you very much, Mantis and Sunflowers!

Marina

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Just in time to cheer us in boring November (at least around my garden) is this marvelous thread showing photos of one of the Forum's most beautiful and impressive gardens. I hope your edging dilemna was solved, Marina. Billowing companion plants spilling over the edgers at random places should do the trick. May we have some updates from your beautiful garden? Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Thank you, nanadoll, for bringing up these photos of Marina's landscapes. Just as beautiful the second time around!

Kate

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Beautiful roses, beautiful garden, especially love GdF, and the dog.
    I agree with Diane about the edgers, I think plants spilling over them would do the trick.

• toolbelt68
    10 years ago

Never too late for another comment.... Wow, what a beautiful garden!!!!!!!!
    Have you tried just laying the edging material down flat instead of standing upright? It would still give you a dividing line between bed and yard.

BTW, would you please let us all in on how you go about keeping your garden looking so great. Do you hire about 50 or so people to come in once a week???? LOL

I like the edging when compared to the non edged beds in your pictures so keep at it. Maybe you should post a before and after picture(s).

This post was edited by Toolbelt68 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:19

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia