Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

First Bloom of season

We planted a "Easy Does It" baby band own-root rose from Heirloom about 4 weeks ago and it's our first to bloom.

Comments (21)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous start for your new rose. Just imagine how it will glow all over the bush in a couple more years!

Kate

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

So that is what a bloom looks like.........very impressive Jim. Easy Does It though, you wouldn't want to trip ;-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Boxofrox I'll take the newly planted roses bloom...lol
    Our other roses are budded, but will be awhile longer before they bloom.
    Cold winter caused winter-kill almost to the ground on alot of our roses, then funky Spring weather put us behind this year. lol

Mister Lincoln got slightly scalped by a rabbit, so I will take a pic of him LATER if he fills back out again... :-(

{{gwi:317201}}

{{gwi:317202}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comment dublinbay!

{{gwi:267946}}

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Beautiful! That was my favorite new rose last year!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

FANTASTIC ORGANICS FOLIAGE JIM! Great bloom! Hey you can't even tell the tent caterpillar damage here, lol! Wonderful to see everything growing so well.

Hurray, our Boxofrox is here! Been missing you like crazy and as Jim can vouch for I've been mentioning you on tons of threads, your bouquets, Abraham D'Arby, Livin' Easy, on and on. Also mentioned about your koi and waterlilies 2 months ago. How are the Pom-Poms? and yes they were mentioned a month ago. We are missing your BEAUTIFUL GARDEN!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Serena,

I think the tent caterpillars were strays from somewhere.
    Since I removed them from our bushes I haven't see anymore.
    Thanks everyone for your comments!

{{gwi:327186}}

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

I can relate to the buds only so far syndrome because last W/E we had our first 70 degree day of the year :-(

A few weeks ago we had a hard frost that killed two long established Star Jasmines. Last winter alone I lost Tamora, Brandy,Falstaff,Sexy Rexy, Dream Come True, and Lady Emma.

Jim, I'm thinking you need some more Easy...........a little yellar to go with that ornge ;-)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful roses, Jim, Easy does it is a lovely color, and those little bands become big bushes pretty quickly.

kay

Original Author
    12 years ago

Great to hear from you Boxofrox, I'm digging that yeller. lol
    Sorry to hear you lost plants due to the weather. :-(
    I think our cold weather is over, today was 87 degrees and humid. 10 day forecast looks good.
    Hopefully things will pick up on your end too!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely blooms! I loved my EDI last year too. Unfortunately it isn't doing anything this year. It has a few leaves on it but otherwise it's just sitting there. Not sure it will make it.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Hurrrray, the STALKER GETS TO STALK!!!! Boxo, I've been dyin' to see your Gorgeous Garden! When I put up my thread you must promise to put Abraham D'Arby on mine! O.K????? I'll be on my Best Behavior, lol!

So beautiful Boxo!!!! Everyone's been Missing You Like Crazy! Oh, so sorry to hear about Tamara, Boxo. I really loved her in your garden too :( :( She was another beautiful rose that was one of my favorites and brings up such wonderful memories. I mentioned your other rose Sunset Celebration about 2 weeks ago to someone else. Yup, Boxo's Sunset Celebration.... Boxo THIS, Boxo THAT, hehe!

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

I don't want to hijack Jim's thread so if, and that's a reallyreallyreally BIG IFFFFFFF, the weather co-operates I will try to get some pics. I am finally painting my house to pull it into the garden. The base color is like a golden creamy tan and the trim is like a muted copper/cedar. I don't have much done yet but I'm liking how it plays off the garden colors and especially the fences. I replaced all the aluminum windows this winter with tan vinyl ones so this is the last little detail.

I have tons of blooms right now just no roses except for my regosas. Rhodies, azaleas, lilacs, horsechestnuts, clematis, etc.

Original Author
    12 years ago

hijack away there Boxofrox... lol... Just glad to hear from you!

Hey Seil,

Sorry to hear about you EDI there Seil. Remember sometimes we get bad plants, so if you really like it, try another one if that one dies.
    Maybe it's just being a slow-poke this year?

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

oh, I can't wait, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STALKER IS SO HAPPY!!!! Boxo's GARDEN PARADISE, Yippeeeeeeeeeee. Eluane would love your garden too. Lots of luscious green space and she is so gentle with plants too. The koi might scare her though, lol! She is ultra shy, haha.

And hey I'm using this copper color to coordinate with your house. I loooove copper, it's my favorite color, and yes, I'm a huge fan of your gorgeous copper garden accents! I also remember your Tin man! He is such a charmer!

Boxo, you've got rugosas???? I've been going crazy over my research on the rugosas. I was trying to find which had the most rebloom etc. That is the only minus about a rugosa. One has to be careful to get the right one which blooms more frequently. I hear that rugosas bees like. I just don't want a carpenter bee magnet, lol! I get tons of those dratted things. Honeybees are a lot harder and much more finicky. Got desperate enough that I had to purchase Dutch white clover and crimson clover to plant under my maple tree as "groundcover" lol! Not sure if you read my comment awhile back that I did get your sedum that you had recommended.

Jim, lol, thank you for letting me Hijack your thread too!

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

My rugosas are all 'Hansa'...I want to say I have 6. This is one of two in front of the Wall of Easy :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW! Very nice Boxofrox! I also like the way you mix different plants/shrubs together.

Thanks as this thread needed some blooms..lol Loaded buds can only take you so far... lol

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

Boy is that ever a truism. Buds are like potential.....just means ain't done nuttin yet ;-)

We have tons of slugs around these parts and when the dahlias and peonies are first coming up you have to keep the slug bait out or they eat them to the ground. "Usually" once they are up and going they leave them alone. Last year my two toned Chinese peony was about 18" tall and loaded with buds and I had long ago stopped the Sluggo when they crawled half way up and ate a circle around the stalk and I lost every bud. So for me, buds are a lot like chicks and I don't count them until they're hatched ;-) This year that peony is 3 years old and is absolutely loaded with buds and I'm making sure I don't lose them all this time !

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Boxo - I love the just opening bud of the peony. That's a gorgeous peony!

Jim - Oh! I hate tent caterpillars. They're the only living thing I have a phobia about. If one is on me - I can't bare it. I just shriek and run around.

It's amazing how your Easy Does It opens from the 2nd picture to the 3rd. Incredible. The leaves on all of your bushes are just an amazing green. They look so healthy!!!

Carol :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

I know what you mean Boxofrox because some insects can sure ruin your day! ;-)

Thanks Carol! I can picture you shrieking and running.
    Those tent caterpillars are creepy looking... lol

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, Drop Dead Gorgeous colors Boxo!!! Whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo! This Whoo-hoo is for your Hansa and I love how the underplantings mix between the yellow foliage and the lower mauves, soooo pretty! Your rugosas are kick-starting me into action!

Hey how often does Hansa bloom for you? Do you have to deadhead and then wait for the last flush for the berries to increase the amount of rebloom? or do you just let nature take its course....Any honeybees on those? Bumblebees? I'm afraid this year will be like last year- the floods wiped out all bumbles :(

Magnificent stunning peony Boxo!!! This Whoo-hoo is for your peony! I love the clustering puff of white and pale pink with the lower shell of the rose pink base. It's like half dahlia/half rose :)

Egads, Boxo don't mention slugs!!!! I hate slugs the most out of all pests in the garden. If I see a slug I do a masculine version of a Carol freakout! Instead of screeching, I start stabbing away like crazy!!!!! I've also smashed bad looking grubs that look suspiciously like beetle grubs. And this year I'm gonna try to get a swatter to kill any yellowjackets or wasps in my garden (I'm afraid of them killing the honeybees). KG converts to Ninja girl when it comes to certain pests! By the way, Carol and Boxo, Jim knows me all too well. He does know my murderous tendencies ;-)

Cheers to our Beloved Boxo RETURNING, Yippppeeeeeeeee!