Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shropshire Lad in here somewhere

Posted by nicholas.delo (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 9:41

Thought I'd share this. My roses are all late blooming this year, but my clematis has done really well (it's the first thing in my garden to bloom this spring).

Hidden in here somewhere is a Shropshire Lad. I am hoping that it does not get too suffocated by the clematis.

I guess time will tell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shropshire Lad in here somewhere

Spectacular clematis! Love em.

For your roses, maybe you need to get in there and see if new growth is starting to emerge from the base. I had a number of roses that had to be cut nearly to the ground, but the new emerging growth was strong and healthy--and is now blooming beautifully.

Kate

o

The rose is in there and put off a lot of new growth this year. In the picture you can see new shoots/buds extending out to the left.

I just wonder if now that most of the growth is completely covered with clematis, if the rose will suffer as the summer continues.

o

I don't think there will be any problem. I grow about 25 different clematis, and none have ever had the ability to suppress a rose cane.

Kate

o

Wow!! Gorgeous clematises!!!!! I mean, WOW!!
Carol

o

Sweet combo! I don't think I've ever seen healthier or prettier clematis vines...which ones are they? Thanks.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 21:12

Has the Lad bloomed yet, Nickolas? I have a Paradise that gets eaten by my Ernest Markham clematis and it doesn't seem to mind and blooms anyway. That clem is fabulous! Is it Nelly Moser?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here