Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksgreenman

More roses this morning

ksgreenman
10 years ago

I got up early to start taking rose pictures today since some start fading almost immediatley.

Here is Duplex, taken at dawn

same shot, almost, a few hours later

{{gwi:287426}}

Sweet Fairy

Hope for Humanity

Soleil d'Or

Ebb Tide

Duftendes Weisskirchen

Persian Yellow

Distant Drums

Rotkappchen

Pompon de Bourgogne

And finally, the band that is blooming today, taken 3 hours apart, Constance Spry:

I have the day off work, so I may find a few more to post later.

Comments (13)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

What a fascinating group of roses. I've never known anyone else who has Rotkaeppchen, a lovely rose that wasn't really meant for a climate as hot as mine. That shot of Duplex at dawn is stunning. Duftendes Weisskirchen and Soleil d'Or are really pretty, and Distant Drums, while a bit too modern in shape for this old rose lover, has a gorgeous combination of colors. I hope you post more of your roses.

Ingrid

• armomto3boys
    10 years ago

So pretty! Dublex is so sweet.

• amerique2
    10 years ago

Please do post more. I'm not familiar with many of the roses you posted. They are so pretty and fresh. Isn't it fun going out in the garden and seeing how things change even over a few hours?

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I did manage to take two more pictures today, of the very same blossoms of Constance Spry and Ebb Tide shown above. The Ebb Tide looks especially different. The Constance Spry, on the other hand, was on a band and the more open it became the further over the band bent. I had to break the bloom off right after this final photo for fear it would break the plant if I didn't.

Constance Spry

Ebb Tide

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

How nice of you to post a picture of Hope and Humanity, as I'm considering that for next year. Overall have you been happy with this plant? Wondering how it would do in my heat. Very pretty. Soleil d'Or has to be my second favorite here, what a beauty!

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope for Humanity is very good, vigourous, healthy, and continiuosly blooming. It does want to get taller than it is, and has absolutely no fragrance. It was completely hardy outside, in a pot, with no shelter or protection all winter--hardy to the tips. I am considering giving it away to a good home, though, because it would really be happier in a larger size, and fragrance is really important to me.

I must warn you not to be seduced by Soleil d'Or's beauty, however. It is very unhealthily susseptible to blackspot and is generally considered a right dog of a rose. For that reason I would never give her away, so I guess I'm stuck with her.. Historical significance is important to me, and she is the ancestor of just about all modern roses with a trace of yellow or orange in them.

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few more photos for this thread before I start another.

Pluto, aka Hurdy Gurdy

Another photo of Distant Drums

and another of Hope for Humanity, esp. as this may be my last week with her.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Lovely blooms! Mmmm... I miss my HURDY GURDY. It died last yr. Nice to see someone else growing it.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow! I love your collection of unique roses!
    I had Distant Drums a long time ago and I got rid of it because I couldn't stand the myrrh smell - and the smell wafted everywhere. What do you think of the smell?

My favs are the Pompon one and Hurdy Gurdy.
    Lovely, lovely.
    Carol

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like most rose odors, but don't find the Distant Drums one so very strong. Even if I did, it is currently displayed in front of the building I work at, so I only would have to put up with it for the few minutes in the afternoon I care for them. The only rose odor I dislike is Anne Marie de Montravel, which supposedly smells like lily of the valley but actually smells rather badly, not like lily of the valley at all.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Beautiful, KSG! I love that Soleil d'Or!

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Love Pompon de Bourgogne. I have never seen it or Duplex before, and both are beautiful. Thank you.
    Renee

• jay456
    10 years ago

Very very beautiful roses ebb tide is may favorites rose. I love your collection of unique roses!

Here is a link that might be useful: best online shopping website for jewellery in hyderabad

This post was edited by jay456 on Fri, May 24, 13 at 3:59