Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Why they are so popular here

Why is Iceberg so popular, even overplanted, in Southern California?

This is why:

{{gwi:317897}}

These are my neighbor's Icebergs. They liked our roses so much they wanted some too, but something easy care because they are very busy and not gardeners. Just a glorious sight on this May morning. That is a red Meidiland groundcover rose below.

Comments (14)

• lacosta_nancy
    16 years ago

You've got it. Great photo too!

My backyard, where I like to spend my gardening time, is full of colorful Austins but my front yard has Iceburgs, burgandy flax and euphorbia. Easy, long, long blooming, elegant curb appeal. Why fight it?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words. The individual blooms of Iceburg might not be awesome, but as you have so artfully demonstrated, planted en masse - WOW.

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

What a wonderful picture. I have a climbing IB and it is the same only bigger. Great rose!
    K

• michaelg
    16 years ago

OK, now I get it!

The one I had looked like a mound of snow too, but that was from the layers of fungicide residue needed to keep leaves on the thing.

• daun
    16 years ago

It is the best white.

This is from the Sacramento Cemetary.
    It is a constant bloomer.
    Daun

• msrose
    16 years ago

I've been afraid to try Iceberg since I live in blackspot heaven, but that sure makes it tempting.

Laurie

• nberg7
    16 years ago

What a spectacular display Hoov! Fluffy clouds abounding. Gives me inspiration.

This is a reliable rose for me, and oddly enough I rarely even think about spraying it. Could be because I just have it in two standards so they're not getting any splash- I dunno. The JBs ignore Iceberg for me too- yet another plus.

Nancy

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

boy,that is so pretty.Mine is full of blooms in early spring,then as the peddles drop from the blooms,the leaves drop off too.It gets BS very bad and the first rose to get it.Right now,mine is bare as can be,but new growth is coming.

Jean

• medusa_
    16 years ago

Beautiful. There's nothing like that around here. I'm afraid the only thing here is Knockout, and it is quickly becoming overused like black eyed susans, autumn joy sedum, liriope, and weeping cherries. Ughhhhhh.

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

WOW. I thought I didn't like either of those roses...

But, it kind of shows that the problem isn't necessarily the plant, but how it's used. My daughter and I have a game since she has been really annoyed with me in the past for not liking certain plants (KO roses, dusty miller, hostas, most modern daylilies, those horrid little bushes in maroon and chartreuse whose names I don't even want to know, etc.) When we see a plant we hate, we try to come up with a way to use it so that even we would like it. This is all just mental so far, but she has been begging me to actually purchase some KOs for her - esp. Rainbow and the original.

Medusa - how could anyone dislike black-eyed susan? No one purposely plants those in my area. To me they are still just a joyous and innocent wildflower. I have been wondering how to use them in my cool palette, OGR dominated garden. Am afraid people will think I'm nuts for using wild daisies I rescued last summer. Some view them as weeds...but they are the happiest flower imaginable.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

That is a gorgeous picture.

Florence

• michaelalreadytaken
    16 years ago

Quite lovely! They certainly do well here. At work, one of the stairways from the parking lot up to the main level is lined with them. They're far too pretty to contend with on any artificial grounds and a great way to start each day.

MichaelAT

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Iceberg has become fairly popular here to, hoovb. Personally, I love the way it looks.

Randy

• medusa_
    16 years ago

Robinia, I don't hate black eyed susans, or ko's, or liriope. I actually like all of them, but object to the massive overuse. As if there were no other plants in the kingdom. Around here it bores the eyes. Blackeyed susans, miscanthus, liriope, sedum, weeping cherry, and cherry laurel. Over and over and over.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida