Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living in the land of minis

Posted by kathy9norcal CA 9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 13:28

Everyone should be able to grow minis. They are so pretty and easy to care for. I have sp'd many in the process of learning which I like the best.
Here are some of my favorites, the ones that last in my garden.

Graduation Day blooms prolifically, next to Fuzzy Wuzzy Red. Both are in pots on the deck.

Gourmet Popcorn as a standard next to climbing Candy Cane

Just a grocery store mini, a pure yellow I love

Little Artist, a mini standard, is dwindling away. I will have to root a cutting this winter.

Life Lines, a climbing mini

Bees Knees blooms prolifically but fades to an ugly white pink too fast. Still, I love it.

Another grocery type mini, Amber Kordana, I think. It stays small and compact and covered with blooms.

Gingerbread Man in spring bloom.

Amy Grant blooms infrequently for me but at Michaels, where I saw it first, it was in a pot and covered with blooms. Mine has never gotten that way. Maybe it needs to be potted again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living in the land of minis

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 10:38

Those pretties should make anyone want to try minis! I love your color combos!

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 10:52

Beautiful! I love Little Artist and Graduation Day! Your Gingerbread Man is doing much better than mine...mine is a blackspotted little monster already! :)

Tammy

o

They are very charming, thanks for sharing.

o

Big OOPS. That is not Fuzzy Wuzzy Red--it is Cherry Hi in the first photo. How did I do that?

o

I'm quite taken with Life Lines--cheerful, attractive. Don't think I have ever seen a real live climbing mini, however. Do you have a picture showing it climbing and in relation to some standard size HTs or something like that? I'd really like to see it.

Kate

o

Kate, here is a full photo of Lifelines, a few years ago when there was a clematis growing with it and Midnight Blue next to it. Now, the clematis has gone and MB has moved to a sunnier spot. Dublin Bay is peeking in on the left side!

Here is Candy Cane, another climbing mini. Right of it is mini Gourmet Popcorn standard. Left is Lavaglut, right is Crimson Bouquet.

o

Kathy - the one you labeled "Just a grocery store mini, a pure yellow I love" - how large is it? I have a thread under Rose Forum - http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg050923145471.html?12268, where I'm trying to identify a yellow I have. The only one I've seen look like it is this yellow mini of yours...

o

Harmonyp, your thread says yours is a non-mini, right? Mine doesn't have a name as far as I remember. It is growing narrow and upright, about 2 feet so far. It is definitely a mini or miniflora.

o

Well - I was thinking mine wasn't a mini, until I saw yours. But I've heard that sometimes mini's can get oversized. I was trying to measure it better yesterday, and it really isn't 3'x3' - it's more 3' high, but barely 2' wide. And the flowers are only a little over an inch in diameter. Thanks for answering. And sorry to sidetrack your wonderful thread - your minis (and photos) are absolutely stunning!

o

Really nice mini's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here