Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

My Roses Unlimited Order came in today

jeffcat
12 years ago

I thought they might show up today and I saw the UPS guy show up today and ran to the door haha. I was concerned at first because there were only 2 boxes......2 boxes yet 7 gallon roses? They were all there though. They just have to squeeze 2 containers in each box. Like I figured I got my 1st blooms of the year...by delivery haha. I'd love to plant them right now, but I will probably wait since we are having severe weather and tornado watches the today and tomorrow, so maybe friday. Shipping was fast. Shipped on Monday and arrived today in 2 days via UPS. Still waiting on my DAR order...not sure how that works...I just got an email confirmation but I'm not really sure if it's left for shipment yet or if they let me know...guess I will find out. Glad I got my RU order at least.

{{gwi:1234084}}From 5-25-2011

{{gwi:1234085}}From 5-25-2011

{{gwi:1234086}}From 5-25-2011

{{gwi:1234087}}From 5-25-2011

Carding Mill

{{gwi:1234088}}From 5-25-2011

Dublin Bay, Huntington Rose, Carding Mill, Charlotte, Spirit of Freedom, Mary Magdalene, Queen of Sweden

{{gwi:1234089}}From 5-25-2011

{{gwi:1234090}}From 5-25-2011

First bloom of 2011 is Dublin Bay haha

{{gwi:1234091}}From 5-25-2011

Comments (10)

• bluederby21
    12 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post photos of how the roses actually arrived. How did their pricing break down? These roses look quite healthy. I'll definitely be adding RU to my bookmarks of legit and worthy mail order companies to purchase from :)

• queenbee_1
    12 years ago

I have been drooling over their site for 2yrs now.. I will be ordering from them.. Thanks for sharing..

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, Right ON, Nick, hurray on your new roses!

I can just feel all the excitement and hoopla over those Babies! CONGRATS!!! They look soooo healthy and soooo big and sooooo good! Thanks so much for sharing the joy, Makes me smile from ear-to-ear! I love receiving babies too!

As for David Austin, they send excellent!! bare roots. My one Austin had a very wonderful root system, great grafting. So I'm positive you'll be happy with yours.

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Serena did you ever get confirmation after you placed your order online when it was being shipped and how long did it take to arrive? They need in the ground ASAP haha.

Pricing came out to $164 including all shipping and handling and processing. 6x$18 for English roses and 1x$16 for Dublin Bay. Add $5/per rose for shipping and then another $5 just for processing and handling. I'm pleased with the end result. It breaks down about the same price as a 2gal potted rose from my local nursery, but the nice thing here is they are own root roses and I can choose from a large selection.....which my nursery in Columbus has no shortage of selection either with hundreds of roses to choose from.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Happy growing there Jeffcat! Nothing beats those mail order blooms... lol
    They look good! Enjoy!

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Nice haul! They're roses are wonderful. I agree with Serena, you'll be happy with them.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Yes, I did get an email confirmation. DA has outstanding customer service. I know the exact dates because my Austin order was actually my third rose order. I started with my 2 Geminis in March 3 2009, then I got my 2 Lincolns the first week of April, then I ordered LEH right after buying my 2 Lincolns. If you ordered LEH by the way DO NOT POT IT, plant it in the ground!!!! and in a place where it can get morning sun, afternoon shade.

Back on track in December 2009 I got the email confirmation from DA that they were charging me for the rose and that they would ship it to me in Spring. However, mine was sent super early, a bit too early, like end of March, lol! and it sat in a tub of water for an entire week. It was very, very fast to bud up and bloom though.

I should have ordered Abraham D'Arby not LEH. I could kick myself. DA Roses are way too expensive for me now and only one I would allow in my garden in the future and that'd be Boxo's D'Arby. Nick by the way I forgot to mention grafted roses do not grow own-root naturally, it can take several, several years before they do, so you have to plant very deep and perhaps in time they will. Many remain grafted and don't convert. I belong to the Peter Beales rose forum. In England own root is virtually unheard of. Everyone does "budded" and always refer to their roses as such, and when they die, they die. They don't come back up.

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Serena. I actually just got an email today that gave me my shipping tracking number. It's scheduled to be here next Wednesday which sounds about right with the holiday. I was going to get Lady Emma Hamilton and really wanted to, but ultimately backed out. I am going back down to Columbus for the fireworks in about a month so I will probably buy a LEH if they still have any in stock...or maybe a Sir John Betjeman, Heritage, Gentle Hermione, Harlow Carr, Jude, Othello, Teasing Georgia, or Windermere. I will be planting all the RU roses in the morning as it looks like the rain will be done.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Lol, to this day LEH still gives me the shudders. She was such a disease magnet, lol! But up in Ohio at least you got indirect sunlight. Bustopher's garden has nice dappled shade/sun so she's not going to have such blotchy yucky colors like mine in the blazing direct Midwest rays. It made her blooms as small as 2.5" across, that is even if they bloomed at all. They were too busy wilting. Would have to keep watering sometimes as much as twice a day. There was a span of 4 weeks that we had merciless heat. You won't ever get as hot as in our locale. But boy do I love looking at Abraham D'Arby! Each time Boxofrox shows his, I start to droooool and my fingers keep twitching each time I look at Crepuscule and wonder what A.D. would look like in its place, lol! Makes it impossible to resist the temptation. But as the Kansas gardener with the 70 roses warned me, do not do the Austins if you are all-organics. And if I killed A.D. I would go as berserk as when I killed my Gemini. Too much heartache! I still also think of the tea I killed, Mrs. B.R. Cant. I loved that tea, a wonderful unique grapefruit fragrance. I had no business growing her. Her canes still had plenty of green until February, then our wildly fluctuating temperatures drove her to her grave (from 80 degrees to 28 degrees within just 5 hours' was the worst for example). Well, this year will be the last year I will grow a rose inappropriate to my climate conditions and to my zone. I have one more poor rose that I'll be torturing but I dare not even mention who she is. When she blooms I'll be called out as the Most Evil Gardener, :-X

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

No Serena that would be me LOL - I've killed more than my fair share. But then, I've had a lot of beautiful blooms. Think of it as being cheaper than buying a bouquet of roses.

Jeffcat - Those roses look heavenly. So healthy and lush. I love the look of Carding Mill. Is that one a myrrh scented rose?

Carol