Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spent hours/days Googling trying to ID my fragrant tree-need help

Posted by serenasyh 5 Kansas (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 16:18

Sorry for this off-topic, but am hoping my rose friends who are experienced with all kinds of cultivars can help me ID this very fragrant tree. I've spent hours, days trying to find what it is. I tried googling flowering trees, fragrant trees, ornamental trees, trees resembling wisteria, trees with honeysuckle fragrance, but couldn't find anything whatsoever. I took this photo on April 13th. It has drooping clusters of white flowers that waft in the breeze. It smells as strong as my Linden tree and the scent is like lilac/honeysuckle combined. It is definitely NOT wisteria in spite of the drooping clusters. The form of the blooms are completely different as you can tell from the closeup.

The tree suckers very badly at the base. I love this tree though and am thrilled to have it. I've not seen any neighborhood tree like mine either so far....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spent hours/days Googling trying to ID my fragrant tree-need

I have tried to id a similar one but it's a shrub. Maybe you'll have luck at the shrubs forum. I hope you do --- it's gorgeous! Please let us know if you find the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/shrubs/msg0500171220272.html

o

European Bird Cherry
(Prunus padus)
Family: Rose family

o

Inga ~ you are good!

o

Oh, wow! Inga! this is like 95% IT! I would have said 100% except I've gotten strangely alas forgetful. I can't remember it having fruit at all. It probably has fruit I might vaguely remember fruit on the sidewalk??-but then I'm super fussy with my car and having fruit drop on top of the car I'd surely remember that. Since I can't remember fruit right away, it's a scary sign of my brain no longer working. Too many late nights and terrible lifestyle living :(. Or maybe I'm too obsessed with maintaining the roses that I have that I no longer remember the fruit, who knows. But Inga, thanks soooo much for helping me with being so spot on with the ID! It was driving me crazy not knowing what it was. It's a real lovely tree and soooo fragrant!

o

OH! Now I want one! Beautiful tree.
Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

o

Your welcome. There are a few of them in Toronto.
I know the tree from Europe, just had to find a dictionary, for translation.
I never noticed it had black fruit either. The flowers are so
showy, that I forget to look at it when it's stopped blooming, but I will make a point of looking later this year, as I drive past it regularly.

o

Look to the tree's common name (European Bird Cherry) to understand why you may never have noticed its clusters of tiny black fruit. As soon as the fruit ripens, birds go into an eating frenzy and soon 'harvest' every one of those bitter little 'cherries'.

I remember those trees being on the property in northern Michigan that my family rented each summer for several years when I was in my teens. My dad would join us on weekends, & there was always a period when he would park as far as he could from those trees because of what was raining down from them. It wasn't fruit (at least not in its original form).

o

Inga, again, so many thanks! It's really too bad that Kansas doesn't plant the European Bird Cherry instead of the terrible Bradford pear which stinks like rotting plastic. The fragrance is wonderful and it's just as "showy" and as fast a grower as a Bradford. Or at least people should plant more beautiful crabapples. Both plants attract beneficial pollinators. Jaxondel, I've had my house since 2007, but gardened for the first time in 2009. I had no interest in gardening whatsoever, so I've always been "blind" to Nature's incredible beauty, too busy pulling all-nighters at work, being a workaholic, etc. We get very little biodiversity in my neighborhood, but last year I saw 3 sightings of a cardinal in my neighborhood. My dad is the direct opposite of me. He has always loved nature, organics and birdlife. His yard is filled with beautiful birds that none of his surrounding neighbors have. Well, yeah, I've not had birds go crazy with that tree yet. Must be my location, lol! But maybe with the combinations of my holly bushes and the tree they'll come. I have a 2010 Toyota Camry hybrid that has an sea greenish/blueish color to it that birds love to target more than any other car, I suppose because it is such a reflective waterlike color, so yes, I would notice if it got "bombed" hehe! But I will look for the berries for sure this year and hope to catch sight of some cool birds!

By the way, Sanrosa, such beautiful, beautiful cacti!!! I was looking admiring your lovely garden with the roses, but wowwwwwwww! The blooming cacti is STUNNING. I've always loved cacti's unique comical shapes- very whimsical and fun but those flowers are a DREAM! Even if it's not roses please post the cacti too whenever you can! We pride the Rose Gallery in being a place for Tea and company! People have their cats, their pets, Boxo has had his fluffy Pom poms and the koi/water lilies, there's been bees here and all kinds of fun stuff. And Renee's lovely boy was here too and Rosemeadow's lovely daughter holding up a flower. Kids and gardens make great photos.

Cheers, everyone! And Happy Mother's Day to all you Mothers out there. Yesterday was my border collie's birthday- Eluane got birthday candles on her pork tenderloin/tomato cake...I got the evening bday cake on video James had to help me with that. But unfortunately this year was so hot, it was impossible to stop her from panting in the daytime shots so this year's photos weren't as nice as last year. Garden shot was at my home church's little side chapel.

Here is the famous Ward Parkway stretch with the classic homes and lots of big flowering trees. No European bird cherries but similar more romantic flowering ones like dogwood, more rare magnolias- style of gardens is classical unlike newer suburbia with generic bloomers like the Bradford pear. Still can't see roses here, maybe too much shade with the very old large trees. Next time I'll take more photos of ward Parkway. My home church is very beautiful and is all stone and is at Ward Parkway.

o

Thank you, serenasyh, for your kind comments. I get to Scottsdale several times each year. It's where many in my family live, and is over 300 miles away! I've got several weeks before roses bloom in my home garden. Perhaps I'll sneak a few other photos in when I begin to post during the rose season.
Love your Eulane. We have 2 very old dogs that are slipping away. That is a real heartbreak for us.
Sandra

o

Eluanes pics are really nice Serena! Cooling off by the water...lol

o

Kind??? No, Sandra, your roses are GORGEOUS from the Peace and Quietness thread, and then the cactus makes my jaws drop! They are breathtaking! with the detailing of the petals. Many hugs to your older dogs. It was a very sad Spring for my friend Redsox/Debbie when her Angel Fenway passed away! Fenway was such a sweetheart! I still have Fenway's photos she sent me, and you can just tell from the pics what a great, gentle dog he was. And so was Jim's dog Sparky too. Dogs are such sweet, loyal companions, like family!

Jim, I actually brought fresh water in a jug for Eluane to drink, but in Kansas we are struggling with very high heat and humidity because it always thunderstorms the night before and then the sun comes out and BAM it's so hot like a summer oven, lol! Eluane was very hot, poor girl and so was I. My shirt was pretty drenched just from 5 minutes of walking out to the avenue island of the fountain. It's going to be one hot, rainy summer again, Jim, lol! but at least we get sun with every rain alternating back and forth. Last year I forgot what sunshine even looked like because it rained so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here