Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

new blooms

C Schaffner
12 years ago

It's been so hot here most of my blooms are crispy. I have a few to share that tolerated the heat.

Work of art

Gemini

Pandemonium

Hot tamale

Wonderful news

Rosy Dawn

Saint Patrick

Comments (10)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Great photos, pelican! Love that Pandemonium!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Very nice, they look great!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Sr. Patrick is one of my favorites- the blooms last and last.
    Renee

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Great other roses too! They are very lively and I enjoy seeing them!

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got my Gemini about 4 years ago at a local nursery, Sunshine gardens. It had a j&p tag on it.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

My Gemini has very strong contrast and I've wondered about the paler pics I've seen. Figured it was climate and soil.

Wonderful clear pictures. Thank you Pelicanhead.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

I'm gonna baawl my eyes out- 4 years ago.... Even within a hybrid, different roses will catch on to a stronger strain of a certain parent and sometimes certain genes fade out. For example my Dad's ancient Queen Elizabeth has a nice scent. But then when I bought my Queen Elizabeth over a decade later, it smelled so nasty. Like the typical plastic scent you find in a supermarket. Same goes for Peace. The old versions have really good scent, whereas some of the newer strains don't. And the ancient Peace colors and petal formation also looked very different than the new versions of Peace I now see at Kansas nurseries. My climate and soil is completely different from Iris Gal's and Pelicanhead's and yet share that exact same deep coral. Yours are ground planted right? Mine was a potted tree rose with Fertilome. For example mine wasn't supposed to have fragrance, but it had a beautifully strong sweet scent. It caught on to its parent's Anne Morrow Lindbergh's fragrance. If anyone sees a blooming one with deep coral in it at a nursery or has bought an own root Gemini with this exact same deep coral please let me know! I am also wondering if this deep coral has any good scent at all in it. Maybe all the deep coral versions do and it's the light pink which doesn't. I will be curious to know if I'm the only one with that strong fragrance. I did consider it a sport because Gemini's aren't supposed to have fragrance.

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went out and sniffed my gemini this morning. It has a slight fragrance.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Thanks Pelicanhead for checking the fragrance for me. But your photo still makes me want to bawl me eyes out, lol, even without the fragrance! Your Gemini is my absolute favorite because I love that intense color yet it blends so smoothly and evenly- like butter! Cream, Golden Yellow and the Deep Coral- breathtaking! I can't wait to see more of it throughout this year. Since I can no longer have this rose, please be sure to post as many photos of it in bloom as possible. I'll just have to relive my Beautiful Gemini through yours from now on. I doubt I'll ever find an own-root nursery that has this original coral strain. So everyone keep your eyes open for me until then...

And here's hugs and a cheers to your GORGEOUS Gemini!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Lovely pictures. I like your St. Patrick the best. I had it one year (yeah, I know way too tender), but it was so productive that I had soooo many roses. Well worth the money just as a one season rose. I really liked it.

Thanks for the pics.

Carol

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES