Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Mayday, Mayday :-)

boxofrox
13 years ago

Tis just the beginning of rose season here and if only the warm weather would have held for another day or two, all kinds of roses would have popped. Buds everywhere are in a mode of suspended animation but here's a few of the beginnings of a great summer. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking........:-)

Hansa

{{gwi:1235174}}

{{gwi:1235175}}

Briotti red horse chestnut

{{gwi:1235176}}

Flutterbye

{{gwi:1235177}}

September Song

{{gwi:1235180}}

This is a contorted cedar, a Gibraltar azalea, with young Royal Gold and Ginger Syllabub climbing on fence with Dream Come True in the foreground......all budded and waiting to bloom.

This is a shot along the walkway with various rhodies, lilacs,Mexican oranges etc in bloom. The arbor has two clematis and a Joseph's Coat climbing up the left and an America climbing the right.

{{gwi:1235183}}

Abraham Darby

{{gwi:1235184}}

White wisteria

Joseph's Coat at the top of the arbor almost out of reach ;-)

{{gwi:1235186}}

Viburnum snowball

Comments (23)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

GLORIOUS AND HALLELUJAH! whoo-hoo, whoo-hoo! I just have to put a G&H to Abraham Darby and all those beautiful May-days!
    Abraham Darby is absolutely exquisite!

The white wisteria, and the Gibraltar azalea, and the Joseph's Coat climber is stunning. I am looking forward to your Climbing America being in bloom.

Hansa, Briotti, and September Song are wonderful.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey thanks KG, it's finally waking up. I had a terrible outbreak of aphids on my Lyda or I would have posted a pic of her. She is loaded with buds, I'm guessing in the hundreds of range :-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Great pics Boxofrox! A lot of eye-catching scenery! I bet you have tons of rose buds just waiting to explode. lol
    Your Viburnum snowball looks different than ours. I noticed our leaves are different. Ours is 3ft x 3ft, it's still young and it only bloomed alittle for the first time this season.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    {{gwi:1235188}}

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

hehe, and I'm always the fan, just revisiting and drooling over Abraham Darby. With very large flowers, they always taking a long time to develop as with my beloved other Abraham, the Lincolns--they are going crazy with buds, and this year, they may turn out into classical spirals unlike last year's ruffly Cheerleader pom-poms, haha. With your special care, Abraham Darby is going to be soooo amazing with those splendid bouquets of yours, Boxo! I am waiting and waiting and hope you will post multiples of A.Darby. I would love to see multiple photos of your A.Darby.

In my beginner days, I just took wild guesses and chose just one Austin out of my entire garden, which was LEH, ordered way back in March 2009. Had I known any better, I would have chosen that one Austin to have been your Abraham Darby, instead! I will get AD as a tree rose if J&P is ever forced to close.

Boxo, I think Lyda is just close to the wooden fence and is by an ant colony. Ant colonies for some reason like to be near wood. My Penny Lane had clusterings of aphids on its new growth because it right next to a swarming colony of ants (whereas none of my other roses have aphids), but Penny Lane didn't even skip a heartbeat. It is surviving the ants, aphids, the full shade, and even the rabbit attack really well. I am triply crossing my fingers that it will be like your gorgeous Lyda. It is supposed to climb to help cover up the unsightly side gutter of my house.

Boxo, we'd still be drooling over Lyda without even noticing the aphids. She must be spectacular, and the scent heavenly! You still should photo her!

Great pic, Jim, of your viburnum!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim :-) That's a viburnum you have but it doesn't look like a snowball. The flower clusters are more lacecap. Mine forms the round snowballs from the beginning and then they just grow in diameter. Yours looks more like a doublefile type.

KG, I shot one picture of the corner of the front yard against the pond fence (where the Lyda is on the right side of the copper gate). It has LtoR yellow climber Scent from Above then the Briotti then Stairway to Heaven climber under the white wisteria and then Lyda Rose. None of the roses were fully open nor was the wisteria in full bloom. I'm going to try and catch the whole thing when it's all open. It should be a pretty unique shot ;-) Oh and not to worry about AD, they are loaded and will be popping within the week, me thinks.

13 years ago

Boxofrox, I bought ours from Greenwood Nursery, it was sold as a Japanese Snowball bush. Hummmm, maybe it's not. lol

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! Your photos are SO clear!!!

I love all of the different shades of green in your first shot. I'm not one for anything that doesn't have a flower (LOL) but you just might have changed my mind!!

Lovely Abe.

Thanks!

Carol

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

All your pictures are eye-candy nice, and these just add to that. Thanks for posting.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Beautiful pics Boxofrox! Your yard is lovely. I really like that viburnum. There are so many different varieties. I have a couple of other ones that get small clusters of white flowers. I like yours with the big snowballs. Looks like a hydrangea! And that white wisteria is just gorgeous!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys :-)

Carol, they all actually bloom it's just that they don't bloom quite like a rose ;-) The dark leafed weigelas with the red tubular flowers are actually quite stunning in full bloom tho and the little hummers love them.

Beth, I know what you mean...... viburnums actually do remind me of hydrangeas when they bloom.

We had a storm blow in last night and the temps drop way down. Here's a couple of shots from before it got here.............

Abe Darby

{{gwi:1235189}}

Homebush deciduous azalea

{{gwi:1235190}}

Rocket rhodo

{{gwi:1235191}}

Scent from Above bud

{{gwi:1235192}}

White clematis in Hot Cocoa

The beginning of a huge Lyda Rose flush

{{gwi:1235194}}

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Your decidious azaleas are spectacular! Hansa looks very pretty too.

There are different varieties of viburnum. The one that has "lacecap" blooms is a doublefile viburnum, the other kind is a Snowball viburnum.

Masha

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Boxo, I wrote a message on how wonderful and thrilled I am with this new addition to your thread, but GW ERASED IT ALL! So frustrating! and my stupid fuzzy brain can't remember my original words:

What I tried to say was that I am so happy to see A.Darby once again, in all its glory, just like watching the prettiest sunset! Scent from Above has the loveliest sweetness in its form, like a promise of ultimate beauty. And the clematis is absolutely Stunnning- even the form of its bud in the foreground is very intriguing as well. Finally I said, that I am so glad you posted photos of Lyda! She is looking magnificent and that the array of her buds make a very beautiful gracious arrangement too!

I am going to copy and save this message, in case GW again erases my post.

13 years ago

More goodies to look at. lol

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Masha, I am very fond of both my decids....Homebush and Gibraltar. I'm still going to add that Buttons and Bows we talked about last year.

KG, Lyda probably has at least 500 buds, I know that sounds like an exaggeration but it's mindboggling. She is going to be stunning :-)

I shot these shots in the drizzle..................

Lyda Rose

{{gwi:1235195}}

Scent through the Chestnut

{{gwi:1235196}}

Jonathan Shaw/September Song/Autumn Charm

{{gwi:1235197}}

Abraham

{{gwi:1235198}}

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Your gardens and flowers are so beautiful!

13 years ago

Cool Boxofrox, I like raindrops or dewdrops on roses.
    Very nice!

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Oh, wow, Lyda and Abraham Darby are the most beautiful Gems ever! They sparkle and sparkle and sparkle! Absolutely captivating! and Scent from Above I see so many gorgeous spiraling blooms there in the distance!

P.S. No, this is no Exaggeration, I can believe it, ABSOLUTELY! It is a rose that keeps on giving! What a gift! If only my baby Ghislaine could be like her someday!

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Is there a garden more colorful than Boxofrox's??? I think not! It was a joy to wake up to your magnificently colorful garden this morning. Who needs coffee, when you can see these photos instead? Thank you, darling!

Juliet

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rr7bJS..... Thank you, that is so sweet :-)

Jim.....I agree, sometimes H20 enhances the shot ;-)

KG......Lyda and Abe remind me of a Swiffer commercial, can't you just hear the Isley's 'Who's that Lady' playing in the background ? I can even if you can't ;-)

Juliet.......It is my extreme pleasure to awaken you with "magnificently colorful joy" but you can still have that cup of java you know :-)

Here's the last addition because this is getting reeeeaaaal pic heavy .................

Janet Triplett rhodo

{{gwi:1235200}}

Sundance

{{gwi:1235202}}

AD

{{gwi:1235203}}

This bed has two yellow trumpets on the fence with a young Westerland in between. There are also 3 Hansa, an Outrageous, and a Double Delight in various stages of bloom.

{{gwi:1235204}}

First Bouquet (with roses in it)

{{gwi:1235205}}

• huttnem
    13 years ago

Love your shots of your beds. They are beautiful!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your gardens are glorious------I know what you mean about Lyda Rose---Mine is almost in full bloom and loaded with buds---it is a great rose

Thanks for sharing your wonderful garden

Florence

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

I bet your Momma would be really thrilled with her Double Delight anniversary rose! Double Delight is very striking and it is very fragrant too. My garden is wafting with the scent of my Lincolns even with the unceasing nightmare rains we've been having. I yearn for the sun, and just seeing the third, glowing face of Abraham Darby, really lights up my day and evening! I can never get enough of your beautiful A.D.!

Darn, does this have to be the last addition?....(wail)! I am as reluctant to let go of this thread as the most tenacious and pugnacious bulldog, lol! Cheers to the G - G - G's :)

13 years ago

Nice bouquet there Boxofrox! And very nice landscape shots!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz