then we had to remove the tree ---here she is now in full sun

{{gwi:292419}}

AND--close-up--------

{{gwi:332674}}

Florence

Comments (13)

• prairie-rose
    14 years ago

Have Lyda on my "Wanted" list for next year, though I have no idea where I'll fit any more roses. Just beautiful! The shade suits her.

• prairie-rose
    14 years ago

did she get much more vigorous in the sun for you? I have some dappled-shade/part sun areas I could fit her, but wouldn't want to if she's scraggly and poorly blooming there.

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

About Lyda Rose and shade ---

Maschamcl----she is now 10 years old---in the the first picture she was just a couple of years old and yes the fragrance does waft----

Praire Rose----she did fine in the shade and I was pleased with her. She is right outside my kitchen sink window and she was delightful in the shade---she never looked scraggly but she REALLY spread out in full sun.

I think Lyda Rose and I both miss the shade of the beautiful old maple tree--LOL

Florence.

• prairie-rose
    14 years ago

Thanks, Florence--she is definitely on my must-have list then, for next year. Sorry about your big old maple--I lost a towering 100+ year old bur oak last year (just fell over, damaged the house and our shed) and my shade patio with hydrangeas, hostas, etc. suddenly became my burning-hot sun patio. Had to move a lot of stuff and start over--have new roses out there now. Silver lining, I guess.

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago

Thank you SO much for posting these wonderful photos. I have two Lyda Rose bushes arriving today, and I have been searching for photos of the actual shrub to help me decide exactly where to plant them. There are many beautiful photos of the blossoms, but not the actual bush. I'm SO excited about this rose!!! My husband is mostly excited that they are thornless!

• boxofrox
    14 years ago

Mine sure isn't thornless ;-) But I absolutely love it. I have it pinned to a cedar and copper fence/trellis in full sun and it is spectacular.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:332673}}

• suzyr
    14 years ago

Wow! Very Pretty
    SuzyQ

• Krista_5NY
    14 years ago

Florence, it's very charming, nice with the birdhouse.

• SharonGMoore_msn_com
    13 years ago

How tall does Lyda grow in the shade?

• peachiekean
    13 years ago

I just purchased this rose and your pictures convince me I did the right thing! Beautiful!
    Mary

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon-----Lyda rose did not get very big while growing in the shade of the large maple tree---I think if I remember correctly about 3X3 feet at the most-------she really took off in the full sun----

Mary---I'm happy you ordered this rose---I feel you will love her. My sink is by the three windows in the picture so we really enjoy this rose all summer---
    Please keep me posted about how she grows in your zone---

Florence

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

I usually don't like singles, but Lyda Rose is such a beauty that I can't help wishing I had room for her. Reminds me somewhat of dogwood flowers. So happy to see this post come back up....Maryl