Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

Evelyn - my total weakness

iris_gal
10 years ago

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Evelyn's beautiful color and silken sheen. She threw out an octopus arm which I pegged down. No extra blooms along it. After 2 years pruned it back. She's so-so resistant to black spot (no spray garden).
Please add your Evelyn's!

Evelyn

Comments (16)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Iris!

• amerique2
    10 years ago

I love Evelyn, too! Unfortunately I lost her several years ago. But not to despair--I ordered another from Chamblees today. So, she'll be on her way shortly. Maybe I'll have some pics of Evelyn to share this fall.

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

I got my first Evelyn this year! She's not in the ground yet, but has already given me two beautiful blooms! She certainly is special!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My weakness is Evelyn, too--I have five of them. Your pics are exquisite, but with Evelyn as the subject, how can they not be? Diane

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow!! Lovely pictures.
    I just found out that Evelyn is pronounced EVElyn. Who knew? Not me. :)

I have Evelyn too as a new plant last year. Didn't notice any smell. Maybe needs more time to mature.

Carol

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Love Evelyn!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

You asked us to post our Evelyn roses, and here is one from last year, competing with a bouquet of big pink peonies--and she wins the competition, I think. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I don't grow Evelyn--she doesn't make the disease-resistance cut--but I sure love viewing other people's Evelyn's. Yours is beautiful!

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here I am back again reading this thread about one of my favorite roses at the end of November, Evelyn. I now have some pics from my five Evelyn roses taken during 2013 to post. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My first pic was Evelyn looking pink. Here she is looking more apricot. Diane

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yum Nana, Do you ever cut a huge bouquet from your 5?
    I think I would transend cloud 9.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I've never made an all Evelyn bouquet, I don't think. I use her in mixed bouquets, and at least once a year in a bouquet with light pink Sarah Bernhardt peonies, which I love. I will have to try an all Evelyn bouquet, and yes, I think it will be gorgeous. It's nice to meet another E fan, Iris Gal. Diane

• rosybunny
    10 years ago

Oh Nana, I love that bouquet, it looks devine!...although I can't tell which is Evelyn and which is the peony : p

But I also love the whole picture: the vase, the lovely decorations around it, and particularly the porcelain bunny in the background lol

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sarah Bernhardt'! I would pass out in rhapsody if she would bloom here. After maybe 10 years of only foliage from 'Festiva Maxima' I concede defeat on herbaceous peonies.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I've just got into peonies, and one of mine is Sarah Benrhardt. STUNNING!!!!!

But my Evelyn is nowhere near as gorgeous as the ones everyone here have posted. Maybe when it matures a bit.
    Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thanks for your nice comments, Rosybunny. One Evelyn is the very large flat bloom, front and center; below it is a smaller, not fully opened Evelyn, with a more apricot color. I love that little porcelain bunny you mentioned. It was my late mother's and she got in Denmark. Very precious to me.
    Iris gal, I think it's just too hot for peonies in your zone--California is great for roses, but peonies need winter chill, so it's not your fault you got no blooms. Sarah is by far my favorite of the peonies I grow. What a classic--must be well over 100 years old. Diane

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz