Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evelyn - my total weakness

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:38

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Evelyn's beautiful color and silken sheen. She threw out an octopus arm which I pegged down. No extra blooms along it. After 2 years pruned it back. She's so-so resistant to black spot (no spray garden).
Please add your Evelyn's!

Evelyn
 photo EvelynnancDSC032391sh85p-87gamma_zps30c427e1.jpg

photo EvelynnancDSC032381sh85p-87gamma_zps4af8a35e.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evelyn - my total weakness

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 18:48

Beautiful, Iris!

o

I love Evelyn, too! Unfortunately I lost her several years ago. But not to despair--I ordered another from Chamblees today. So, she'll be on her way shortly. Maybe I'll have some pics of Evelyn to share this fall.

o

I got my first Evelyn this year! She's not in the ground yet, but has already given me two beautiful blooms! She certainly is special!

o

My weakness is Evelyn, too--I have five of them. Your pics are exquisite, but with Evelyn as the subject, how can they not be? Diane

o

Wow!! Lovely pictures.
I just found out that Evelyn is pronounced EVElyn. Who knew? Not me. :)

I have Evelyn too as a new plant last year. Didn't notice any smell. Maybe needs more time to mature.

Carol

o

Love Evelyn!

o

You asked us to post our Evelyn roses, and here is one from last year, competing with a bouquet of big pink peonies--and she wins the competition, I think. Diane

o

I don't grow Evelyn--she doesn't make the disease-resistance cut--but I sure love viewing other people's Evelyn's. Yours is beautiful!

Kate

o

Here I am back again reading this thread about one of my favorite roses at the end of November, Evelyn. I now have some pics from my five Evelyn roses taken during 2013 to post. Diane

o

My first pic was Evelyn looking pink. Here she is looking more apricot. Diane

o

Yum Nana, Do you ever cut a huge bouquet from your 5?
I think I would transend cloud 9.

o

I've never made an all Evelyn bouquet, I don't think. I use her in mixed bouquets, and at least once a year in a bouquet with light pink Sarah Bernhardt peonies, which I love. I will have to try an all Evelyn bouquet, and yes, I think it will be gorgeous. It's nice to meet another E fan, Iris Gal. Diane

o

Oh Nana, I love that bouquet, it looks devine!...although I can't tell which is Evelyn and which is the peony : p

But I also love the whole picture: the vase, the lovely decorations around it, and particularly the porcelain bunny in the background lol

o

'Sarah Bernhardt'! I would pass out in rhapsody if she would bloom here. After maybe 10 years of only foliage from 'Festiva Maxima' I concede defeat on herbaceous peonies.

o

I've just got into peonies, and one of mine is Sarah Benrhardt. STUNNING!!!!!

But my Evelyn is nowhere near as gorgeous as the ones everyone here have posted. Maybe when it matures a bit.
Carol

o

Thanks for your nice comments, Rosybunny. One Evelyn is the very large flat bloom, front and center; below it is a smaller, not fully opened Evelyn, with a more apricot color. I love that little porcelain bunny you mentioned. It was my late mother's and she got in Denmark. Very precious to me.
Iris gal, I think it's just too hot for peonies in your zone--California is great for roses, but peonies need winter chill, so it's not your fault you got no blooms. Sarah is by far my favorite of the peonies I grow. What a classic--must be well over 100 years old. Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here