Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Peter Mayle, Elina, Mrs. Laing, and Viking Queen

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

Here are some more of the promised photos--though I can't say my camera technique has improved any.

First, the narrow strip between my driveway and my neighbor's ugly garage is finally in bloom. You may have seen an earlier pic with just the blue pansies in bloom. This forum helped me pick out these large, disease-resistant roses: Peter Mayle (bright pink); Elina (cream/pale lemon yellow); Mrs. John D. Laing (lighter pink hybrid perpetual--not the most disease-resistant, however). I love these colors together with the blue neighbors.

{{gwi:220212}}

This is not the best pic of the climber Viking Queen, but it is the only pic I have, so I guess it will have to do. It has good disease-resistance and is a good bloomer.

{{gwi:288158}}

That's it for now. Rain coming--I'm not that far from Joplin, Missouri.

Kate

Comments (8)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Looking good there dublinbay, nice color choices...

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Lovely Kate! My Viking Queen is still in Bud form. Yeah, we too are getting all this rain. Which part of Kansas are you in? I live in Kansas City, Johnson County suburbs, Blue Valley district. I was looking at the houses in your area but the style of houses are not the same as my locale. I don't see much roses growing in K.C. save for tons of Knockouts, lol! I am shocked not to see wire mesh for your roses too. If we don't put up mesh fences in our specific locale, our roses are TOAST! LOL!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

serena--greetings from southeast Kansas (30 miles from Joplin!). I'm one zone warmer than you are, so your Viking Queen is probably coming along fine. My daughter lives in KC, and yes, I do notice lots of Knockouts as we go zooming through your area. But then, Knockouts have taken over the entire country, have they not? Guess its up to you and me to maintain rose "diversity" in Kansas. LOL

Kate

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Lovely pics, Kate. Is that Peter Mayle in the background, on the left, as well as in front?

I added Peter Mayle to my garden this spring, really looking forward to seeing it in bloom.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, krista, that is Peter Mayle in the left background. You are going to be amazed by this fellow--some of the biggest, fattest, fullest blooms I have ever seen--period! Pretty good on disease-resistance and great fragrance.

In fact, I like Peter so well that I just planted a third one a few weeks ago down at the far end of the row. It just popped out a couple inches of new growth this week.

Enjoy your Peter Mayle. Great rose.

Kate

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Ooo, Kate and Krista, I hear wonderful things about Peter Mayle's fragrance. I've always wanted to get a Meilland rose too. Your garden both in the front and the backyard are so awesome, Kate. Very free-flowing and prettily arranged. James says mine is horrid and awkward and I agree with him 100%, lol! But you can't keep an untalented rose addict down, haha! Hey, I'm crossing my fingers where you are at. If you are close by Joplin, that is a much more tornado-devastation prone area.

Today, shocker of shockers we actually had a couple of touchdowns in Kansas City, one just a mile away where I live. That touchdown was at my very favorite shopping place, Costco, which I visit every single week, lol! So man, I better keep my mouth shut and not do any more brags about how we never get struck by tornadoes. Luckily for us it's an F1 tornado with no damage at all.

Whereas for you I'm triply crossing my fingers for a safe 2011 in your region.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love that Elina! I'm going to have to look into that one! Renee

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Peter Mayle is stunning. Reminds me of Big Purple. I would love to have Peter Mayle. I waaaaannnnttt it!!!!! Such a lovely mix of colors in your bed. I am in awe.

Serena - pretty scary. We had one here 20 years ago - and it was very scary. Keep safe.

Carol