Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
priszm

Blue Girl

priszm
12 years ago

I freely admit I wasn't all that impressed by this one with the first blooming. The edges of the petals looked brown from the beginning, almost like they were dying before they opened. This second blooming is much much better. The purple minis to the right are Incognito. The red roses to the left are Fragrant Cloud.

Comments (17)

• C Schaffner
    12 years ago

My blue girl does the same thing. Then they open to these huge blue purple flowers with an amazing fragrance.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

What a beautiful rose! I am drooling about the fragrance!

• bgrose
    12 years ago

Lavender color is always unusual. This is a rose is not ordinary, is it natural???? Very beautiful indeed!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Both are lovely roses and pictures!

• priszm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I might have to get more :)

• bgrose
    12 years ago

The raindrops look like pearls on the petals of the rose. The pictures are very beautiful. Dew or rain enhance the color and the beauty of the roses.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Oh man, oh man!!! The first picture blew me away, but the second even more so!!!

Such a delicate pretty color.

Blue Girl is supposed to be very fragrant, isn't it?

Just lovely!

Carol

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

A lilac colored confection. Nice one.

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

Mine is very, very fragrant. It's in the bed at the front of the house, in front of the lower level windows. After Madame Hardy & her 300 blooms are done for the year, all we can smell indoors is Blue Girl. She has a distinct aroma that's quite different from our other roses; less rosy, more like a sugary-lemony confection or aromatherapy product. I picture a light, fluffy, lemon dessert when I smell it.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Oh wow!! That would be heavenly.

CArol

• C Schaffner
    12 years ago

This is what it looks like in my garden.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Oh!! I adore the color in the 2nd photo!!! The just opening bloom looks spectacular too. Arggh - all we get here is rain!!!! At least I get to enjoy roses vicariously through this forum.

Thanks!
    Carol

• QuestioningSerenity
    10 years ago

Blue Girl was my first Rose too! Absolutely gorgeous! And beautiful photos!

Thank you!

• Annie
    10 years ago

The first year I had my Blue Girl, the bloom edges turned brown and I thought this rose is not going to do well here in Oklahoma. She struggled along. By mid-summer a vole chewed off her roots...completely! Not one to give up...I stuck the rose bush top in a two-gallon container of soil and set it in the filtered shade. Watered it and added compost once in awhile, but left it alone otherwise. Three years later, I have a robust, healthy rose bush that grew all new roots. Last summer she bloomed in the container. This time, however, her blooms were not burnt looking and the fragrance was yummy. This spring I planted her out into the garden in a new location. She is putting on a lot of new growth and looking very happy and healthy.
    I don't know if this is an indication of what a tough and vigorous little rose she is, but I'm very happy with her.

• tammypie
    10 years ago

• parker25mv
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Blue Girl

I still think the scent of Sterling Silver is more pleasant. Here's an early bloom of Sterling Silver:

I think the color of Sterling Silver is slightly better, in a way that's hard to put my finger on.

The fragrance of Blue Girl has ever so slightly more the scent of alcohol wipes, and anise (like many yellow roses), at least compared to Sterling Silver. While Sterling Silver's fragrance is perfection, the smell of Blue Girl just doesn't smell all that amazing. Blue Girl also doesn't seem any more blue in hue than Sterling Silver.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms