Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Julia Child, at her peak

Ain't she faaaaaabulous? "Bon apetit!"

{{gwi:296179}}

Comments (24)

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

This rose looks totally amazing. How tall and wide is it for you? Simply beautiful.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

I am glad you are posting on the gallery, hoovb. I still remember the picture of your Renae standard. The Julia Child looks really gorgeous. Is this two bushes together? Wonderful picture, I hope you post more.

Masha

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm willing to bet it's one bush. Hoovb secretly feeds her roses steroids. The garden police just haven't caught up with her yet......

Ingrid

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Faaaaaabulous? Yes, yes, yes -- a thousand times yes! Awesome photo of her, Hoovb!! :)

Debbie

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Oh, dear. What a show! Those blue flowers in the left front serve to set off the golden yellow of the rose quite well. I'm just curious as to what those are. It is hard to tell from the picture. Julia sure is making her presence known in no uncertain and glorious terms. Very nice.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

It is TREMENDOUS! I love yellow roses. Post photos of all your roses, hoovb. You are a terrific gardener. And as Oliver would say, "more please".

Juliet

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS. That is totally gorgeous.I have never seen one that pretty before.You sure must be giving it everything it wants to thrive.Just Beautiful.

Jean

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Julia Child does look faaaaaabulous HoovB!

• jeffcat
    13 years ago

How is it that your roses are so floriferous Hoov? I mean I see some great roses in Cali, but all of yours seem to be super big and super floriferous....fertilizer?.....soil?...night time UV lights over the roses?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for your kind comments!!

That is one plant, about 5' tall and 5' wide. Sorry I haven't been around the gallery much. I spend too much time on the computer as it is, messing with my silly blog and reading all kinds of internet plant stuff--not healthy to sit in front of a machine so long. I need to be out in the garden where I belong.

Here's two other 'Julia Child's who are either one or two years younger than the first one. Here they are in February:

Here they are in May: Julia seems to get along fine with very minimal pruning.

There's also a little tiny Julia Child barely visible on the RHS in the last picture. That is the "bargain" bareroot from the last HomeDepot sale that was $5 with free shipping. It is finally getting going this year but there has been a huge difference between a "bargain" bareroot bought at the end of the season and a fresh bareroot bought at the beginning of the season from a quality local garden center.

Here's a better shot of the "bargain" Julia Child, before the blooming started. It is in the black box. Look at the size difference! To the left is the two Julias in the picture above.
    {{gwi:252839}}

Roses become much more floriferous when they are a.) well established and b.) well watered/fertilized. I faithfully mulch with high-quality compost. It really makes a difference! The first 'Julia' has been in the ground 5 years now at least. Well established!

Here is a link that might be useful: my silly garden blog

• sanju
    13 years ago

Hoovb, as usual I am completely awestruck by your roses. Julia Child is just beautiful. I don't think it is available here, I've never heard of it, unless it is sold by a different name here. I love your blog. Thought the pruning instructions were very useful. Cant imagine why i've been pruning my roses really short all this time, no wonder they haven't been growing properly. Thanks for the link and for posting your wonderful pictures.
    Sanju

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

hoovb, your Julia Child looks absolutely amazing! But so do all of your roses that I have ever seen a photo of :-)!

What makes the compost that you are mulching with a high-quality compost? I am mulching with" E.B. Stone Organics" organic planting compost, but have no idea if that is a good one (I get in bags from the nursery). It has improved the quality of the soil were I am doing it for a longer time, though, but my roses are not nearly as spectacular as yours, of course. So I am still wondering what is your secret?

Just want to let you know that I am reading your blog regularly and love it. I also learned a lot from doing so. Please, keep up the good work :-)!

Christina

• huttnem
    13 years ago

Your Julia Child is a masterpiece! The color variation is fantastic. I had one place for a rose and It was between Julia and Golden Zest. I chose GZ but now I wonder...
    That's a lovely tribute to your Mom on your blog.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What makes the compost that you are mulching with a high-quality compost? I am mulching with" E.B. Stone Organics" organic planting compost

By "high-quality" I mean compost certified as having been composted to xxx degrees for xxx number of days, the state standard--also no biosolids (human waste) and no curbside waste (plastic, rocks, & other contaminants). E.B. Stone is very high quality compost. It takes a few years to really transform the soil but it happens.

Thank you Christina. Thank you Sanju. Thank you, Renee. Thanks huttnem, I miss her every day. I took that photo of her right before she died, it was as though she was saying goodbye to me in more ways than one. But she's always in my heart.

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness!! Well, my first thought was Holy frickin cow!!!

That is amazing!!!

How many rose bushes do you have in your yard? I'm just thinking that a whole yard of roses that bloom like that must be unbelievable!!

Carol

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

SO AWESOME.

*goes to read your blog for the rest of the day*

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Just brilliant, elles sont tres beaux! Julia Child herself would be pleased with your rose as an homage! Brilliant, HoovB, absolutely brilliant.

I hope my Ghislaine de Feligonde will have the same apricot, yellow and white variations as your gorgeous Julia Child. Incredible and magnificent!

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

hoovb, thanks for your informative answer regarding my compost question. I am glad to know now that the organic E. B. Stone compost that I am using is of high-quality. So I will just keep mulching away with it ...

Christina

• carla17
    13 years ago

Wow, but I'm not surprised. Your garden has been and is always amazing. Thanks for the link to your blog.

Carla

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

This rose is gorgeous----I love the variations of color.

Florence

• cltroses
    13 years ago

Gorgeous..makes my Julia Child look like yours little sister!

Scott

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Wow I missed this one, that is one gorgeous rose!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

That is such a stunning rose. You obviously have the knack for growing roses. Just beautiful.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES