Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Outrageous & Others

boxofrox
13 years ago

Inspite of a return to a colder/wetter pattern, some things are still managing to pop. Had a brief respite w/sun so went out and shot a few. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking ;-)

First for Outrageous

{{gwi:1236951}}

Lyda Rose

{{gwi:1236952}}

Pond Entrance

Joseph's Coat

{{gwi:1236954}}

{{gwi:1236955}}

Black Beauty

{{gwi:1236956}}

Hansa

Viburnum

Abraham Darby

{{gwi:1236959}}

Purple Iris (a slug ate the stalk and it fell over :-( )

{{gwi:1236960}}

Comments (9)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Your wisteria steals the show. What a specimen. I have always loved the white varieties best.

Your beds are beautifully layered, and the colors are just eye-popping. What is that chartreuse plant in the bed with your Hansa? It makes the green leaves of the rose look emerald. The whole composition is really unique and beautiful.

The foliage on Lyda rose is really striking too.
    I'll bet you have a hard time coming into the house when it gets dark...
    Renee

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Boxofrox,

Your garden is really starting to brighten up and looks like its getting ready for the big spring dance. lol
    Everythings looking really great!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Renee, there's actually a funny story about that wisteria. Years ago when I first started, I had little idea what a wisteria was let alone that it came in different colors. I built my pond and a deck and pergola next to it and planted the wisteria I picked up at Home Depot on one of the posts. It was a little gallon plant and didn't do much for probably 3 years and we were so excited when we finally got a couple of buds. When it bloomed white, of course we initially thought what the &^$%&^$(% until we smelled it. Now it's like so many other things in the garden that somehow end up becoming mistakes of good fortune ;-)

The bed with the Hansa has Livin Easy, Easy Goin, Eureka, and Rose of Sharons on the wall with alternating Magic Carpet and Limemound spiraea behind the Midnight Wine weigelas. As the season progresses the Magic Carpets get darker with multiple hues while the Limemound stays that bright chartreuse that contrasts real well with both green and purple.

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

Wonderful photos. I love Outrageous. I finally found an in ground spot for it and it is being hidden by daylilies, which really love our long, cool, wet spring. Hopefully, the rose will catch up and overtake those dayliles.
    Lyda Rose reminds me of Ballerina. Are the flowers small?
    Your Darby is fantastic. Mine was a rust magnet and had to go. I love to see photos of it looking so good.

• huttnem
    13 years ago

Your pond entrance! Wow!!!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathy, I'm fond of Outrageous too. It's not the easiest to grow but there's just something about both the color and the fragrance that I just love. I think Lyda and Ballerina are very similar. I'd say the single flowers average 1-1/2 to 2". Very fragrant, it's truly nose candy now with Lyda and the wisteria both blooming near each other. I'm very fond of Abe. I have three planted on a cyclone fence and since I don't spray any more than I have to, the foliage is sometimes a bit less than pristeen but the sheer volume of incredible blooms really overcompensates ;-)

huttnem, Thanks I think ;-)

• huttnem
    13 years ago

What do you mean "I think"?!!! :~0 I meant it sincerely! It's totally lush. I want to be there.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Gorgeous Lyda and Abraham Darby are like the sweetest melodies of Spring! And I love how the Wisteria and Black Beauty really en-trance the eye! Outrageous put out a very lovely, special bloom for you too! What a haven of beauty!

• bgrose
    13 years ago

all your flowers are so lvely and charming, i love your roses and especially the plants with beautiful and colorful foliage. Thank you for posting such beautiful pictures.