Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Francis Meilland

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

Here is my one and only bloom of Francis Meilland, my one cane wonder. I hope I get more than this one bloom this season, it's a pretty rose.

Comments (32)

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

She is truly a beauty. Good luck

• inga007
    9 years ago

Looks beautiful. A very clear photo.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Here it is this morning.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, May 21, 14 at 9:09

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I just planted it this year. Got it from Edmunds. Can't wait for her to bloom. Did yours get a lot of winter damage?

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

The color is indescribable! Well, I guess it is describable - but it has that extra something that bumps it into romantic!

Gorgeously soft and romantic. I love it!!
    Carol

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

I'm glad to see yours bloom. Mine doesn't have any yet and growing slowly, it's new this year. Have you found it to be disease resistant?

• inga007
    9 years ago

That is a very beautiful rose.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Carol, Frenchcuffs and Inga. Frenchcuffs, so far it does seem to be disease resistant.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

What a lovely soft color!

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

My big spring flush for this plant was two flowers. I got it from Reagan's March of last year. It better start doing something, because it's getting the stink eye for sure.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

This is a very fragrant and beautiful rose. Thanks for sharing.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Here is my Francis Meiland

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kousa, that is so gorgeous! Looks like a Champion of Show to me!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Thank you Sara-Ann! It is very nice and encouraging of you to say so to a two year beginner. Along the journey, I have some hits and many misses. But it is getting better. :)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are welcome, Kousa. I'm sure you are doing fine. To me roses are a fun adventure. I make more than my share of mistakes, but roses give back so much, that is why I enjoy them so much. Of course I know nothing about rose shows and judging roses, but that bloom is very appealing to the eye, it is beautiful!

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Very lovely rose... for you! I got one last yr and it did absolutely nothing the entire season. This yr it did give me ONE bloom that promptly blew within a day or so. Not much signs of doing anything else yet. Very little new growth. If it doesn't improve by next yr, it's gone!

• User
    9 years ago

I have about the same experience as Beth, only that I did not get any bloom. My second year FM is a one cane wonder, and will be gone if it does not improve by next year this time. I keep thinking with that name, it ought to be a killer rose....

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I am not sure how it would perform in CA but it does very well on the east coast as I am in eastern PA. Farmerduck, if you are on the east coast, please give it a chance. It does a lot better after getting established and the blooms are so worth it.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    6 years ago

HE is a gorgeous rose! (Francis was a man).

I have him ordered for this spring!

Steven

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

MiGreenThumb, I think you’ll like Francis, the blooms are gorgeous and fragrant.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

I love this rose too. I am looking to add another one to the garden. But I must warn you that he is rather tender and will die back to the ground in your winter. Please make sure that you bury his graft a couple of inches below soil level. I will do the same for my new one if I get another this year. I am not sure if my current one will make it as his canes have all died to the graft which is at soil level.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Is this rose prone to getting thrips markings if left unsprayed?

Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

I don't remember, Carol. I will watch for it this year and let you know.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Thanks! I've always wanted this rose. :)

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

Mine has never had thrips. I don’t spray.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Sarah-Ann - and do some of your roses get thrips or do none of them? :)

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

Carol, I don’t have much of a problem with thrips, but I have noticed my Memorial Day is bothered the most with them.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

That's funny, Sara-Ann - my light colored roses get thrips...but my Memorial Day doesn't get them. Strange, huh? :)
    Carol

• steve_gw
    6 years ago

This rose is an annual here in zone 5.5 extremely winter tender....

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

That's too bad, Steve. I've overwintered mine for 7 years in my garage. If you really want the rose, you could try that. But there are so many wonderful roses you can grow in your zone...why bother. :)

Carol

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor