Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Midsummer Nights Dream Garden (a month early)

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

I'm not big on statuary littering up the entire garden (like one of my neighbors does), but I do have a few fantasy figures tucked here and there--a few garden fairies and dwarves and such. Right now, with the vivid blue-purple larkspur growing wild all over the place and the occasional fairy lurking here and there, the garden seems to have picked up a Shakespearian feel-- my version of Midsummer Night's Dream fantasy. Perhaps a bit short on roses, but I thought you might enjoy this short journey into fairy gardenland.

My "welcoming" dwarf and jewelled-toned blue lobelia

The fairy statue seemed an appropriate place to plant "The Fairy" (polyantha), don't you think?

{{gwi:283015}}

Doesn't the wild larkspur have a mysterious, magical quality that helps make this a midsummer night setting for the fairies to dance in (even if it is a month early)!

Here's some more mood-setting larkspur for our fantasy scene.

{{gwi:322322}}

I think this is the spot where the fairies will dance at midnight. I better get it mowed here real quick!

Guess we should get a tribute in here to Shakespeare since we are borrowing his setting. I picked the most mysterious William Shakespeare 2000 in my file.

{{gwi:218929}}

Could this be the fairy queen Titania caring for some violets?

Yes, I do believe that is Queen Titania.

I think Queen Titania would approve of this backdrop for the fairy dances at midnight.

In fact, here are the fairyland bells (Rose Etiole Clematis) calling everyone to the dancing green.

{{gwi:1237239}}

The midnight frolics are taking place just on the other side of the gracefully bobbing columbine.

And there is the guardian gargoyle lurking underneath Buff Beauty to make sure everyone is safe.

{{gwi:207539}}

Here are a couple (hopefully) suitably mysterious roses to add to the festivities decor.

Well-Being

{{gwi:248648}}

Gypsy Carnival should add to the mood.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, in her earlier incarnation as the Native American corn goddess Tonantzin, is always a welcome guest at the festivities.

I wonder if Shakespeare would approve of our version of Midsummer Night's Dream? Well, we'll say "good night, sweet prince" with William Shakespeare 2000 again.

Hope you had fun at the fairyland midnight frolics. : )

Kate

Comments (10)