Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Buds before rain

jeffcat
13 years ago

Well, I was hoping for blooms by the 1st and I'm right on the cusp of them. Abe probably would have bloomed if I left him in his old spot. This morning I wanted to get some more work in with my camera mostly for editing purposes before the rain arrived. Hopefully, the rain and humidity don't cause any balling or spoiling of the blooms. It took me 3 hours to figure out how to resize pictures as an entire album. XD I suppose at least I know how to do it now...I didn't feel like waiting 5 hours for multiple 11.8 megapixel pics in their original format to upload to photobucket and I managed to get them resized to 1024 size beforehand which is a relief. Now, I just have to wait for all the blooms to pop.

Pat is actually covered in buds and is still forming them too even though this picture doesn't really indicate it. Note the flawless glossy leaves Pat always has.

WS2000 is a mess as far as growth. He really took off this year and with his goofy lateral canes from last year is growing in a really weird manner. He is definately getting lop backed hard after the 1st flush is over.

White Eden only gave me 2 blooms last year...it has about 2 dozen buds so far. Another rose I am going to be removing entire canes from as there are 3 new basals coming up that need some room.

Red Eden...just waiting on the blooms as they are some of my best...have 1 new basal coming up...then I will remove some of the laterals. Red Eden has ENORMOUS leaves...they remind me of solar panels.

Golden Celebration is in the same situation as Pat Austin...close to blooming while still developing new buds on arching canes too. Oh yea...you can see my "enormous" back yard that I currently have, hence why I have many of the roses potted.

Pretty Jessica was a band last year and is pulling through nicely with some new growth and about 7-8 buds starting out this year.

Another "kick myself" moment with Abe. I should have pruned him back hard since he was new to me last year. Now he is 6+ feet wide. I have a new basal cane coming up.

My momey is on Abe to be the 1st bloomer.

Wind doesn't help shooting New Dawn. New Dawn is about 8ft tall in it's 2nd year.

Evelyn was REALLY slow to get going this year, hence why I moved Evelyn's pot to a new spot where she gets about another hour of sun. She seems to be doing slightly better in terms of growth.

Bishop's Castle is kind of dwarfed by Graham Thomas and the tree it sits beneath so it probably gets less sun than it should. The canes however are still quite thin for the clusters of blooms they support at the top of the long, branching stems.

Graham Thomas=vigorous growth...He is just now putting his energy into blooms. I haven't decided if I am going to prune him down after the flush or if I am going to stretch him across the fence and just have him break laterals. His canes are about 7ft even though they don't appear to be since he is hanging down from the fence.

While the roses are staying in for the rain, some other ones decided to come out and play in it.

1st bloom for what I believe to be Nelly Moser...might have been tagged wrong though.

Zephy, like New Dawn, is about 8ft and has more buds now than it had all last year x about 10...it should be an interesting flush.

Comments (13)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bet you can't wait until all those buds open. LOL

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know right? I feel like I'm the only one that hasn't had their 1st flush yet.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Nick, I hope they all bloom soon. I get a bit impatient myself at the start of the season and check them everyday. But most of mine have been blooming like mad for about a month now.

I have a question for you. I see that with your potted roses, the soil level is high in the container. Have you had them in pots for a year already? If so, how did you keep the soil from compressing to the halfway point of your container? That is a problem I run into often. I have many roses in pots, but the soil level drops to the halfway point on many of my roses over time and I'd rather keep the soil level near the top of the pot. Thanks!

Juliet

• lesmc
    13 years ago

WOW!! I`d love to visit your back yard in about a week! It`s going to be spectacular! I don`t have any open blooms yet but lots of buds . I just love this time of year.Please post pictures when they burst open. Lesley

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Juliet, it's always sunny in California...that's why haha. For almost all of my potted roses, I used Scott's Moisture Control potting mix. It's a fairly dense soil that retains moisture well(almost like throwing in peat), so it packs down fairly well and doesn't "splatter out" as much when it rains and when I water. I typically would bury the grafts/bud unions for all my roses, but all of the roses that I potted last year, I just buried the band or store-bought rose with the graft/bud union slightly above the soil INITIALLY. I say initially because I amend the soil with Rosetone and fill it to the top of the pot as best as I can. After I top the pot off, I tend to push the soil down to compress it a bit, then water to have the soil settle down, and refill the pot with soil accordingly. I typically wait a few days or until the next rain and let gravity just pull the soil down, and then top the pot off again. By this point, the pot is pretty much full of soil and since I refilled multiple times, the new soil level is then ABOVE the graft/bud union. I tend to want to pot the rose as high as possible so the roots have a couple extra inches to utilize and slow the rate of the rose becoming pot bound. Since I have potted them, I really haven't lost much soil other than the millions of squirrels in Columbus digging through the pots, which caused me to add about an inch more this spring. I kind of know what you are referring to with the soil dropping though as it can kind of have a quicksand effect with the roses being sucked down the container while throwing on more soil and essentially "burying" them. Luckily, I haven't had any of those issues though. I just add, pack, wet, and kind of mentally plan ahead to guesstimate how far the rose will sink in the pot during the 1st week or so and plant the rose slightly higher because of that. If you have a fine soil and large drain holes, you might be losing soil through there though too.

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

I'm with you Jeff, I have lots and lots of buds but none are opening, we have had a few warm days so maybe I'll see some color sometime this week....I HOPE! Be sure and post pics when your roses do bloom.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information, Nick baby. Don't forget to post photos when your roses go into the blooming stage. And post at the Antique Roses gallery as well.

Juliet

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Looks great - jealous jealous!! :)

Your Abe Darby looks like the perfect bud!

You're (and I hope we) are in for quite a show!!

Carol

• phatboyrose
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see all those blooms such healthy plants just waiting to bust forth. Please post more soon.
    Harold

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Anticipation...

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody.........and don't worry......I'll post MANY pictures of my roses and other's roses as they come. I just got my 4GB memory card for my camera in the mail, so I have more photo freedom.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Everything looks beautiful. Looking forward to the open flowers, but the buds & foliage are just as pretty.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Your roses look as clean as a whistle and just so healthy. Your method of planting must really be working since all your roses look gorgeous. I too am in anticipation of the blooms.

Ingrid