Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

Falstaff

wanttogarden
11 years ago

Like many, I always had problem with Falstaff. As a matter of fact, I SPed one already. This one was waiting for a replacement before it left. However, it seems it got its act togather, at least for the spring flush. Lets see how it does with rebloom.

{{gwi:224750}}

FJ

Comments (21)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

wanttogarden--I love your photos, but you do know that failing to name the roses is grounds for getting banned from this forum, don't you? : )

Especially the big overgrown blue flowering plant--what is it? I don't think we grow anything like that here in Kansas.

Kate

• wanttogarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate:
    I did not know that. But all the roses are Falstaff. I tried to show both bush and blooms in varies stages.

The rose in the background which is full of bud is Jubilee Celebration.

I have forgotten which Iris it is, but I thought it was a great color combo with burgundy red.

The purple/blue bush is referred to as potato plant; forgot the scientific name. It grows like a weed here. I cannot kill it even if I tried. Trust me, I have tried. Short of digging the roots out, it will come back. It is kind of frost sensitive, but only looses the leaves and flowers. My gardener hate them. He has to shape them every month. Look good in the pictures though. \

FJ

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms and pics, your garden looks delightful.

• MaryDanielle
    11 years ago

I love your pictures!! Your garden looks divine! I also enjoyed the iris thrown into the mix, my other obsession. ^.^

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Falstaff is looking good. I've got the same Iris out in my front Iris bed.

• msjam2
    11 years ago

What is that yellow rose? What a magnificent garden!!

• wanttogarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

MsJam:

The yellow rose is actually tree yellow roses: Golden Celebration on the right, the tall one in the middle, with red fringe is Strike it Rich, and Julia Childe on the left.

FJ

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I too was struck by the tree roses.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your garden is really lovely, wantto! The pics of Falstaff are gorgeous!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Ahhhh, so lovely! Your shrubs are so compact, green, and beautifully shaped. You do a great job pruning.
    Renee

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    7 years ago

These are some of my favorite whole-garden photos. I love seeing the roses integrated into the other plants.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

I love this overgrown jumble of beauties also, spectro. I hope Falstaff continued to do well, but what interests me most is the idea of planting three different yellows close enough together that they start to look like one large fulsome bush with a richer variety of yellow shades. I don't have a spot where I can do that at the moment, but I'm going to keep that idea in mind for future reference.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Beautiful roses! I lost my FALSTAFF a few yrs ago. Never did get it replaced. Yours is really lovely. And I like that trellis.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    7 years ago

Falstaff is a rose that has such exquisite blooms that you forgive its many faults. I really like the way it's rambling for you.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Amazing roses!!! Just gorgeous!!! Whatever you're doing, you're doing very, very well!!

I love irises too!!! I grow a lot of them and tend to buy blue/purple irises.

The three yellow roses together look stunning!! What a great idea!! Just beautiful!!

Carol

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

I'm in 9b in Northern California too and my local Armstrong garden center has 3 Falstaff that are already about 5-6 feet tall. They look ok (not fantastic, but ok). I don't usually plant roses that others have so many problems with... But those really tempted me since they were so tall. Wanttogarden... Your photos are tempting me enough to make me go back and buy them! It's a great time of year to plant them... I might have to just take a chance and get them.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

FJ - This was great to see again!!! I have a baby Falstaff now. No fragrance...how is the fragrance on yours?

Carol

• Ashley Zone6b
    7 years ago

Your garden is so lush and beautiful wow!! I hope mine looks that good someday. Your Falstaff blooms are gorgeous and I love how you did the large bush of yellows. Nice work.

• katalea12
    7 years ago

What a beautiful garden and roses in it! I love love ur Golden Celebration it looks fabulous!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Wanttogarden, I think we would all love to see some updates photos of your lovely garden if you have the time. Even though it's just barely turning into fall weather.

I ended up taking a chance and buying the Falstaff roses at my local nursery. Hope mine looks like yours in time! :)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer