Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosa 'Laguna'

Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 21:33

First year sleep, second year creep, third year...

Rosa 'Laguna'

Rosa 'Laguna'

Rosa 'Laguna'

With Clematis 'Perle d'Azur':
Rosa 'Laguna'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosa 'Laguna'

All I can say is WOW! That rose should be more well known. I never heard of it.

o

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 22:51

Just gorgeous! So glad you posted this, because I have been looking for a whole bush picture of Laguna! We just planted ours last summer (own root) and it is about to open its first bloom in about a week (never bloomed last year). It won't get as tall as it does in California, but I can't wait to see it! :0)

o

Wonderful! What a bounty of blooms. It looks really really gorgeous with the clematis.

Masha

o

That looks AMAZING!
I'm really glad that I still have Laguna of my list. Previously I was having trouble to decide whether or not to change my order, but your photos had convinced me to stick with it.

Hoovb, do you mind telling me whether your Tea Clipper had improved from previous year?

Thanks in advance.

o

That plant is just amazing. We need to have more full bush shots. I love the clematis with your rose.

o

Is that the rose you posted a few weeks ago without blooms? And now...WOW it is so gorgeous! And the clematis looks great with it, good color combination.

o

Very impressive. I have one of those gigantic roses that like to eat houses. Always pretty, Hoov.

Carla

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 24, 10 at 16:15

Yes this is the rose I posted a few weeks ago without blooms. Looks better with the flowers! :)

harryshoe it is hard to get a good picture. The plant faces southeast, and it shadows itself meaning I end up with a bright blue sky and a shadowed band of flowers--high contrast, so it's hard to get the exposure even.

North side of plant:
Rosa 'Laguna'

The south side:
Rosa 'Laguna'

jumbojimmy, 'Tea Clipper' did have a spring flush this year, not that impressive, but--something. I'm going to give it a couple more years. My 'Jude The Obscure' took 5 full years to become a good bloomer, and I'm willing to give this one the same amount of time. TC apparently has a lot of Noisette in it, which takes time to get established.

Rosa 'Tea Clipper'

o

First year sleep, second year creep, third year... REAP the bounty! Awesome, Hoov!! :)

Debbie

o
Tea Clipper

Oooh that Tea Clipper looks scrumptious!! Probably will be worth the wait, Hoov. Hope so anyway. :)

Debbie

o

WOW``1111 WOW111That is the prettiest rose I have ever seen.I have never heard of it, but, its gorgeous.Thanks for sharing it,.WOW

Jean

o

Ohh!!!! Talk about gorgeous!! So BIG!! So MANY huge flowers. How can you stand it!!

Carol :)

o

Such a healthy and happy rose, very beautiful color and amazing number of blossoms, the aroma must be overwhelming!
Thanks for posting this beautiful rose.

o

Perle d'Azur & Laguna look well together. I'm beginning to think Perle is the most complimentary clematis for roses.

o

What a wonderful thing.
Renee

o

Supreb!!!

Hoov, and when you think that the first flush is over the next is coming!!!!

You are so smart with espalier-ing it ! Mine is so crowded, I don't know what to do with that gorgeous monster!

o

wow,... amazingly gorgeous! it's Kordes' Laguna climbing?

o

Thu, May 27, 10 at 15:49

Thanks! Yes, Kordes 'Laguna' aka 'KORadigel', Kordes 1995 though not introduced in the US until 2008.

There is also an older (1974) Kordes non-climbing rose and a French florist rose from the mid 90s also both called 'Laguna'.

o

Spectacular, HoovB! I am impressed!

o

Absolutely breathtaking! I am soooooooooo glad I have it coming mid to late June. Can hardly wait to see it blooming. I suppose I will have to wait 3 years :-( But its good to know that it will do this in its third year, I'm not known to be very patient, but this one is definitely worth waiting for. Thanks for the lovely pix, hoovb.
Sanju

o

I am speechless......almost (Anyone who knows me recognizes that is an impossibility ;-) But if that isn't one of the most awesome climbing specimens ever, I don't know what is !!!!!! If that puppy is even half as fragrant as it is beautiful, it would be a 99 on a scale of 1-10 :-) Truly a stunning specimen !!!!

o

Sanju, you will have sporadic blooms in the first and more in the second year, too. As matter of fact my Laguna was blooming top to bottom by the second year just wasn't so enormous. This is a truly rewarding rose.

o

hoovb, you definitely have me tempted since we have somewhat similar zones. D: SO GORGEOUS.

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 0:56

Wow -- just WOW!!! Makes me want to grow more roses.

o

I wonder how Laguna would do over here in the soggy PNW

o

Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 13:27

It did get rust and anthracnose in the winter. Zero mildew. Flowers are petal-packed so may not open well in soggy conditions. So far essentially a once-bloomer here--though apparently it repeats well in colder climates. For that reason, I wonder if 'New Dawn' is in the ancestry. Cane flexibility, vigor, and thorns remind me of 'New Dawn', which is not so happy in Southern California as it is in colder zones.

o

Beautiful pictures! I am new to roses and have an arbor in the entry to my garden and a pergola we sit under...and I am looking for climbing rses for both. I am in zone 6, and would like a fragrant (atleast semi) rose that is a repeat bloomer that isn't overly thorny. Would Laguna make it through a New England winter? I was thinking of getting it for my arbor. I have also been eying Eden (for YEARS, actually...lol), Reine de Violette, Yves Piaget and Zephrine Drouhin. Any advice on which is better? They will both get sun, but the one I plant on the pergola will get more.

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 17:22

dani33, 'Laguna' is fairly thorny. It is listed hardy to zone 5b.

the member I would ask for a rose suggestion is mad_gallica who is somewhere in NE I think, and knows A LOT about cold hardy roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here