Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Rosa 'Laguna'

First year sleep, second year creep, third year...

{{gwi:223757}}

With Clematis 'Perle d'Azur':

{{gwi:521709}}

Comments (28)

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

All I can say is WOW! That rose should be more well known. I never heard of it.

• phylrae
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous! So glad you posted this, because I have been looking for a whole bush picture of Laguna! We just planted ours last summer (own root) and it is about to open its first bloom in about a week (never bloomed last year). It won't get as tall as it does in California, but I can't wait to see it! :0)

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Wonderful! What a bounty of blooms. It looks really really gorgeous with the clematis.

Masha

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

That looks AMAZING!
    I'm really glad that I still have Laguna of my list. Previously I was having trouble to decide whether or not to change my order, but your photos had convinced me to stick with it.

Hoovb, do you mind telling me whether your Tea Clipper had improved from previous year?

Thanks in advance.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

That plant is just amazing. We need to have more full bush shots. I love the clematis with your rose.

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Is that the rose you posted a few weeks ago without blooms? And now...WOW it is so gorgeous! And the clematis looks great with it, good color combination.

• carla17
    13 years ago

Very impressive. I have one of those gigantic roses that like to eat houses. Always pretty, Hoov.

Carla

• dove_song
    13 years ago

First year sleep, second year creep, third year... REAP the bounty! Awesome, Hoov!! :)

Debbie

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Oooh that Tea Clipper looks scrumptious!! Probably will be worth the wait, Hoov. Hope so anyway. :)

Debbie

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

WOW``1111 WOW111That is the prettiest rose I have ever seen.I have never heard of it, but, its gorgeous.Thanks for sharing it,.WOW

Jean

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Ohh!!!! Talk about gorgeous!! So BIG!! So MANY huge flowers. How can you stand it!!

Carol :)

• bgrose
    13 years ago

Such a healthy and happy rose, very beautiful color and amazing number of blossoms, the aroma must be overwhelming!
    Thanks for posting this beautiful rose.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Perle d'Azur & Laguna look well together. I'm beginning to think Perle is the most complimentary clematis for roses.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What a wonderful thing.
    Renee

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Supreb!!!

Hoov, and when you think that the first flush is over the next is coming!!!!

You are so smart with espalier-ing it ! Mine is so crowded, I don't know what to do with that gorgeous monster!

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

wow,... amazingly gorgeous! it's Kordes' Laguna climbing?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Yes, Kordes 'Laguna' aka 'KORadigel', Kordes 1995 though not introduced in the US until 2008.

There is also an older (1974) Kordes non-climbing rose and a French florist rose from the mid 90s also both called 'Laguna'.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Spectacular, HoovB! I am impressed!

• sanju
    13 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking! I am soooooooooo glad I have it coming mid to late June. Can hardly wait to see it blooming. I suppose I will have to wait 3 years :-( But its good to know that it will do this in its third year, I'm not known to be very patient, but this one is definitely worth waiting for. Thanks for the lovely pix, hoovb.
    Sanju

• boxofrox
    13 years ago

I am speechless......almost (Anyone who knows me recognizes that is an impossibility ;-) But if that isn't one of the most awesome climbing specimens ever, I don't know what is !!!!!! If that puppy is even half as fragrant as it is beautiful, it would be a 99 on a scale of 1-10 :-) Truly a stunning specimen !!!!

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Sanju, you will have sporadic blooms in the first and more in the second year, too. As matter of fact my Laguna was blooming top to bottom by the second year just wasn't so enormous. This is a truly rewarding rose.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

hoovb, you definitely have me tempted since we have somewhat similar zones. D: SO GORGEOUS.

• jenn
    13 years ago

Wow -- just WOW!!! Makes me want to grow more roses.

• Zyperiris
    13 years ago

I wonder how Laguna would do over here in the soggy PNW

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It did get rust and anthracnose in the winter. Zero mildew. Flowers are petal-packed so may not open well in soggy conditions. So far essentially a once-bloomer here--though apparently it repeats well in colder climates. For that reason, I wonder if 'New Dawn' is in the ancestry. Cane flexibility, vigor, and thorns remind me of 'New Dawn', which is not so happy in Southern California as it is in colder zones.

• dani33
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I am new to roses and have an arbor in the entry to my garden and a pergola we sit under...and I am looking for climbing rses for both. I am in zone 6, and would like a fragrant (atleast semi) rose that is a repeat bloomer that isn't overly thorny. Would Laguna make it through a New England winter? I was thinking of getting it for my arbor. I have also been eying Eden (for YEARS, actually...lol), Reine de Violette, Yves Piaget and Zephrine Drouhin. Any advice on which is better? They will both get sun, but the one I plant on the pergola will get more.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dani33, 'Laguna' is fairly thorny. It is listed hardy to zone 5b.

the member I would ask for a rose suggestion is mad_gallica who is somewhere in NE I think, and knows A LOT about cold hardy roses.