Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a few more early blooms.

Posted by KSGreenman 6a (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 21:48

Spring blossoms are still a bit late this year. I usually take blooming plants to the graves of my ancestors on Memorial Day, but at this rate I'm not sure enough roses will be blooming to do that for all of them this time. Anyway, here are a few that started this week, plus a few more new bands that I allowed to have a bloom on.

First, towering above me, 7 feet tall from a 16" pot, Duplex.

photo Duplex_zps903e6e4e.jpg

The same blossom a couple of days later

photo Duplex2_zpsf544fa2a.jpg

Then, the blossom from the first bud to form this spring, but not the first to open. The blossom is kind of stunted, I guess a bud that takes 6 weeks to open isn't going to have the best show. You can barely tell its Paradise.

photo Paradise_zps953cbb06.jpg

Next, the also very tall Hope for Humanity, though I photographed some of the lower branches.

photo Hopehumanity_zps818fe915.jpg

The other established rose to bloom already is the venerable and somewhat despised Soleil d'Or. Okay, so it is also the only rose to already have a bad case of blackspot. But, here it is blooming while most others are still green buds. Take that you young whipersnappers!

photo Soleildor_zps6c824e7a.jpg

And now a few of the bands that are blooming. First, one of the Vintage candidates for the rambler Flora--they have 2 possible candidates, I chose the one with the higher fragrance rating.

photo Flora_zpsc48bfe1b.jpg

same blossom a day later--looks quite different doesn't it?

photo Flora2013_zps400e9775.jpg

Hippolyte--lovely, not as fragrant as I'd hoped.

photo Hippolyte_zps7a39d46e.jpg

Rosa Sancta Richards not Andrews

photo Stjohns_zps2b93477a.jpg

Sappho, the petals fell off before the end of the day it opened.

photo Sapho_zps26feb634.jpg

Well, thats all for now. Photobucket is harder to use than it first appeared--they keep changing the way it seems to work, or else I don't know how to keep the same settings. Half the time it isn't able to load the page I want or get the link I want. Anyway, hope to have some more--maybe even a lot more--in a few days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a few more early blooms.

Your roses are blooming early.
We don't have any buds, as yet.
Nice

o

They are looking pretty! Love the coloring of Soleil d'Or. Happy Spring! My buds are just beginning to open here too. (Those that the deer haven't eaten, that is.)

o

Here's a few more that were open this morning:

another blossom of Soleil d'Or

photo soldor_zpsdb734e8c.jpg

Its parent Persian Yellow, which was rather hard to photograph--the petals kept reflecting too much light.

photo persianyellow_zps70b38779.jpg

another of Persian Yellow's decendents, Harrison's Yellow. Looks quite similar doesn't it? Actually Persian Yellow's blooms are a bit larger.

photo harisons_zpsaeee80c1.jpg

Stanwell Perpetual is very chlorotic this year, so much so that its blooms are white instead of pink. Its actually going to a new home later today, hopefully it will be happier there.

photo stan_zps688d6c00.jpg

photo stanwell_zps84802811.jpg

Reine des violettes is not looking so violet--I guess is got too hot too quickly to see the really purple blooms it had last autumn.

photo reinedesviolettes_zpse7d63540.jpg

and one more blossom from the Rosa santa Richards not Andrews band befoe I remove it and the rest of the buds and give it a chance to grow. This blossom shows off a bit more of its pink tint than the last post did.

photo rosasancta_zps55bf75ec.jpg

I had a few more blooms, but the one of my very favorite rose, Geranium Red, was looking rather battered and I refuse to photograph him looking less than his best. But oh, the fragrance!! Speaking of which, I've always heard Persian Yellow and Harison's Yellow had very bad fragrances, but I found them mild and pleasant.

o

Lovely! Thank you for sharing!

o

oops, here's one more blooming band, Rose d'Amour. Its was a very tiny blossom.

photo rosedamour_zps35ed0cf6.jpg

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 15:01

Love Duplux! I would live to see a whole 7ft shot of it :) I almost ordered Flora #1 from Vintage, you'll have to tell me how it does for you. Maybe another vendor will pick ii up. I've noticed RVR has started to carry some of the roses that only Vintage was carrying...so there's still hope!

Tammy

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 19:28

They're all really beautiful, KS! You are way ahead of me for blooms. I've had a couple of the minis that were in the greenhouse for winter bloom and my Mutabilis but the rest are just green buds yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here