Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Lets See Some OGRs!

TNY78
11 years ago

I made another post that was getting too long, so I decided to post my OGRs seperate (although a few snuck in on the other post). I really love my old roses, they just always seem to perform well for me, where many of the moderns do not (HT's in particular...sickly little things in my garden that rarely live more than a couple seasons) So...here are some of my OGRs that have bloomed already this season :)

Tammy

Rosa Mundi: Prob my favorite of all OGRs

Robert le Diable

Nuits de Young (poor RMV infected thing...I keep it because I feel bad for it)

Mme Isaac Pierre (new from Hartwood this year)

Leda: maybe this is my favorite?)

Indigo

Boule de Neige

Duc de Guiche

Belle of Jardins (first bloom in three years, and now I'm wondering if its mislabeled..any thoughts?)

Souv de Brod: my token Hybrid Setigera and a wonderful rose!!

Sombreiul

Mme Dore: another new addition doing well

Souv de Dr Jarmaine: slow slow slow grower, but I think will be well wort it

Dr Huey: an "accidental" addition..lol..but I really like him! Although, not really an OGR, but I forgot him on the other post...

Double Plum

The Bishop

Armide: maybe my third favorite??

Comments (11)

• inga007
    11 years ago

Love the Sombreiul, makes me think of an owls face.
    Mme Dore, seems to have a bit of "fur" grow out of it. :>)
    Seriously, nice blooms.

• queenbee_1
    11 years ago

They are all beautiful.. I too have a Dr. Huey. I dug him up from my bed and planted him out in the area next to my daylily bed.. He was so dark and almost purple, I thought he was too pretty to throw in the burn pile..

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

You have some lovely OGR's. I particularly like the Souv de Brod, is it fragrant?

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ladyrose, I just went out and took a sniff and Souv de Brod is strongly scented. I couldn't tell you what scent though... I got mine from Burlington this spring :)

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

I just looooove your Armide, Tammy! That is my personal top of the list, but right next to it as favorites are your Souv de Brod and Leda!!!!

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Tammy, your rose IMHO was not mislabeled. Sorry folks for my multi-threads. Unfortunately, one cannot edit one's original GardenWeb posts unlike other forums :(

Anyway, your photo is consistent with this rose. Perhaps what led to the mixup is that your rose is not "Belle of Jardins" but "Belle des Jardins" and these are the photos of it on HMF. On HMF the written description is gallica with white and pink stripes.

Belle des Jardins

Belle des Jardins is a once bloomer, so you must be careful the way you prune it. Just snip off the spent bloom and wait until winter to cut any deadwood but be SURE! to preserve as much of the wood as possible since it needs that old wood to bloom for next year.

Vintage Garden tips on Gallica roses

At Peter Beales and in Europe this rose is commonly known as Centifolia Variegata...It's flush will be very big once it establishes itself from what my friends in Europe have told me about their rose.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Serenasyh, I agree tha we should be able to edit our posts...I end up posting multiple follow ups too sometimes!

My Belle des Jardins was actually purchased as La Rubanee, and then I accidentally ordered a duplicate roses from a different seller under the name Belle des Jardins, not realizing it was the same rose...oops! I like the name Belle des Jardins, so I refer that it that way :) Maybe because its still young, but I was picturing the blooms to be fuller; more like Variegata di Bologna, but with softer colors.

I very much agree with you that the OGRs need to be promoted...so many people write them off because many are once bloomers, but when you think about it, there are tons of popular perranials that only bloom once (peonies, most lilac, azaleas,flowing trees). In my experience, my OGRs are much healthier and less picky than many moderns.

Beautiful picture of Anna de Diesbach. I haven't purchased from Long Ago Roses, but I know Linda posts on here. I'll have to look at her site again. Hartwood is another good small nursary from a fellow poster who mainly has OGRs.
    Tammy

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous----hard to tell which one I like best---Your garden must be wonderfully fragrant.

Florence

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lots of beautiful OGRs, Tammy! I think I like Leda best though.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Leda is a star. What an unusual color.
    Renee