Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksgreenman

Still more late May roses

ksgreenman
10 years ago

I can now sign onto the gardenweb at home, so this should go much more quickly. I have a few more pics I took today. I'm not sure if I should add them onto my previous post or start another, what is the usual protocol for those who post a lot?

the mini-flora Moonlight Scentsation

the miniature Innocence

Judy Garland--she was a favorite last year of those I had displayed in front of my workplace, everyone enjoyed the colorchange her blossoms go thru.

Oshun--wonderful fragrance!

Fragrant Masterpiece--even yet more wonderful fragrance, though some might find it a bit overwhelming. The rain really caused these blossoms to bend all the way down though.

the Buck rose Country Dancer

Katherina Zeimet. I really do have a lot of white polyanthas.

the mini-flora Sleeping Beauty, which had a very nice fragrance last year in the heat.

Aunt Margy's Rose

another miniature, Gourmet Popcorn

Spanish Rhapsody

Quietness, another of my favorites

Brown Velvet--doesn't that look orange to you?

Madame Hardy. Someone said that if all the works of man were to be judged by this one rose they would rest content. (I think it might have been someone who hangs out on this very forum). This is the first time she has bloomed for me though, so I'll see how she does.
{{gwi:287429}}

Pompon de Bourgogne still blooming along a few blossoms at a time.

Gruss an Teplitz was the first rose to bloom in my garden this year, but its only just now getting round to the second blossom. I had repotted it earlier this spring so I guess it was growing some infrastructure first.

Ebb Tide, looking much more purple than she did earlier--she seems to like the cool and the rain.

Lauren

Zeus

And finally, a near rose fail, as after a day of rain and a day of clouds poor Clotilde Soupert struggles to open. This is surprising since I didn't expect any struggle, I expected complete balling with no attempt at opening.

Comments (8)

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For some reason this last photo absolutely refused to upload to photobucket, so I'll post it singly. Konigin von Danemark was one of the first old roses I grew, years ago, and it was my search to replace her after I lost her in a move that led me back to roses in general. If she had been more easily available I may never have found Vintage or RVR or any of the other wonderful mail order nurseries in the rose community.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

More lovelies! How many roses do you grow? That pic of Oshun is superb! But some of the others are great also.

Probably it is best to post several threads so they don't get so long. I don't know if we still have some posters who have trouble calling up long threads, but we used to--and they used to complain a lot.

Like your Gourmet Popcorn--I grow that one also, but I don't know why I never take pics of it. Yours is quite charming.

Kate

• amerique2
    10 years ago

Even more lovely roses! You have some wonderful OGRs to see and experience. You'll have to let us know how you find Madame Hardy. She sure is a stunner. Also, I love Konigin von Danemark. Just went to the Vintage website the other day and learned of its closing. Sad...
    What is the nursery RVR?

On another note, when I tried to use Webshots to post photos I learned it was no longer. Did post some pics from Photobucket but mine seemed muted, less true when I used them. Did some searching around yesterday and came across Smugmug with a free 2-week trial. The pics I posted from their links were far superb and colors were true to the original pics. Wonder what other photo hosting sites others are using.

• inga007
    10 years ago

Konigin von Danemark looks lovely, but my fave is Brown velvet in it's orange stage. Madame Hardy is delightful, but so are most of the blooms.
    Wish we had "smell-a-vision"

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms! My fave would have to be SPANISH RHAPSODY. Mine hasn't done well for several yrs. I just uncovered it in it's bed that was overrun with lamb's ears. I wish I hadn't planted so many perennials and other crap under my roses. It's often a nightmare to clean the beds out, and sometimes I find roses that just don't thrive under them. I hope mine recovers to bloom again and be healthy like yours, because you really can't find that one anywhere anymore.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oh my, Oshun, what a petal packed beauty with the subtle bicolor look. I love the soft shading on Country Dancer, too. Gourmet Popcorn looks crisp and fluffy just like the real thing. Brown Velvet may not be brown, but it's a stunning color anyway. Thanks for posting these beautiful pics. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Love the colors on Judy! Oshun is gorgeous! And I'm so glad you didn't leave Konigin von Danemark out! What a stunner!

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Your roses look really beautiful! I especially love Oshun, Zeus, and of course the white polys :) There's just something so cute and innocent about white polyanthas!

Tammy

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner