Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

Eureka, the best of my standards

kathy9norcal
12 years ago

This rose is almost 5 feet across and the best ever for a tree rose, IMHO. I strongly recommend this rose as it is without fault here in my very warm climate.

Here are some photos of its blooms and what it looks like right now.

That is Ebb Tide in the background and a neighbor's rose (which blooms just for us now--hah!) Blue columbine self-seeded from the side yard, where this color never actually appeared.

Comments (17)

• bluederby21
    12 years ago

Wow! Eureka is indeed gorgeous - Does it start out as an apricot golden yellow and then age to yellow or vice versa? Another that I shall have to add to my wish list :)

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Are all those Eureka blooms from one standard? That's pretty impressive. Wow - I agree with you - that's just perfect for a standard.

YOur whole yard looks great - and I like how you get to see all the blooms from your neighbors yard. Wow!

Thanks!
    Carol

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Very nice, vivacious Eureka tree rose, Kathy, very sunshiny! I've always loooved Boxofrox's Eureka and his gorgeous Eureka bouquets, and your roses remind me so how MUCH he's MISSED! Hope he will come back soon...

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blue, it starts out much brighter and ages to medium yellow as you see in the full tree photo.
    It is just one standard. We had to support it with metal fence stakes as it kept tearing out its supports. You sometimes see less orange edges according to weather conditions.
    Yes, the neighbor put some ugly hedge type bush in front of the rose and it hides it from them. They know nothing about gardening and their plantings are invading and leaning on the fence, destroying it. The put in a pool in their tiny yard, that they use twice a year. They tore out tons of trees to do the pool, leaving only one in the corner. It is an eyesore from our upstairs bedroom window--ghetto-like ugly pool furniture, ugh. It used to be such a pretty backdrop. She gets pms regularly and shrieks at her teenage son in the ugliest voice possible. Aaah, tiny California yards . . . and these are considered big for this area.

• inga007
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting another one of your many fab. blooms.

...ahhh! neighbors......

May be you should record her and play back?

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous rose----I'm always amazed at your wonderful collection of roses---

Sorry to hear about your neighbor----we are very fortunate to have great neighbors-

Florence

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Oh inga - that's a great idea - if one has the nerve. LOL

Carol

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Awesome flowers! 'Eureka' is very good here and seems to get better every year. Your garden looks wonderful.

Block walls are so worth the money...

• KhaVi
    12 years ago

Your garden looks so beautiful. Would you mind to let me know where did you get your standard tree roses, Eureka and Our Lady of Guadalupe? Again, thank you for sharing your wonderful roses.

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

KhaVi, sure, I got them at my local Home Depot! When I saw, OLG, I was leaving the store. It was in the garden doorway in full bloom. I got to the car and turned around and went back. It scented the whole car. Back then, I could smell things with no problem.
    There is also a well-known Sacramento nursery that has many standards, but they are not cheap there.

• ramblinrosez7b
    12 years ago

That Eureka is so beautiful! And so is the rest of your garden. You always have the most gorgeous roses. Thanks for sharing them with us.

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Kathy--Those pics are amazing!!--Ron

• le_jardin_of_roses
    12 years ago

Gorgeous tree rose! Love photo #4 the best. It really sparkles in your garden.

Juliet

• CapeHeart
    12 years ago

Eureka has to be one the best blooming strongest roses. I gave one to my Mom many many many years ago. It survived with almost no care and would put on a beautiful show - flush after flush. Love Eureka! My Mom passed in January so I now have Eureka in our yard. Love your pics Kathy - so beautiful and I especially love the rose, flower combo! So Pretty!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

That's a beautiful rose! Lovely Garden as well.

• dove_song
    12 years ago

Wow, Kathy, your Eureka is gorgeous!!! Love it in your lovely garden! Awsome photos! :0)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh it's gorgeous, Kathy!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville