Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrose_gw

Sweet Kazanlik, my favourite rose

bgrose
12 years ago

This is the queen of all roses in my garden, Kazanlik, all neighborhood smells of its rose attar, the aroma is so sweet...

{{gwi:1240041}}

{{gwi:1240042}}

{{gwi:1240043}}

{{gwi:1240044}}

{{gwi:1240045}}

{{gwi:1240046}}

Comments (13)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

This is an absolutely gorgeous rose, and your pictures are beautiful. I wish it weren't a once-bloomer, but you just can't have everything. For how many weeks does it bloom for you?

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

so gorgeous, bgrose! I love the romance of this rose. It is one of the most ancient of roses, one of the first to be introduced to Europe. I love seeing photos of Kazanlik! what a treat! I've only seen this rose once, at the Peter Beales forum... It is a very rare rose to see and what a treat this is Bgrose!

• bgrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much. I think this rose is rarely used for decoration because it is not the traditional perfect shape rose and is blooming once per year. However it is charming to me. It is a free style plant with free style blooms. It is more precious for me because it is oncebloomer and I wait so long for the blooms. I do not remember how long it bloomed for me last year, maybe 2 weeks or maybe more, depends on how hot the weather is I suppose.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!! I just love the pink and the yellow. Is it really as big as it looks - 4" diameter flower??? I wish I could smell it right now.

Wow!! I can sure see why you love that rose!!

Carol

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting this. This rose doesn't get seen very often in posted pictures. It is delicately beautiful in its own way.

• bgrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much all. I posted more in the antique forum gallery.

@Canadian rose - this year the blooms are really big. It is in in its third year and finally begins to bloom as I like.

@the bustopher
    Thank you, it is vigourous and charming, it is a pity it does not bloom in autumn, then it won't be overlooked.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Third year's the charm!!

I wrote in your other post that I had never heard of this rose before. I just looked at it here yesterday. Getting old...my mind is barely hanging on!! LOL

Carol

• sanrosa
    12 years ago

Oh! Dreamy. Sigh!
    Sandra

• bgrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you thank you. If Kazanlik could hear your words and sighs, it would be delighted and melt... Soon it will be time for Ispahan and Mme Hardy to show what they can.

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Very poetic rose... I think I should get it :)

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Thanks for introducing me to this gorgeous rose-----Your pictures are wonderful

Florence

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

bgrose: Your pics. of Kazanlik enabled me - I like frilly petals with stamens for the bees. Can you cut it for the vase? Someone in Dave's Garden gave it a bad review: not even fragrant, super-thorny, etc. I wonder if that person gets the right rose? Palatine has Kazanlik, but with a wrong picture. Antique Rose Emporium's is sold out. I would like to know where you get your Kazanlik from. Many thanks.

• bgrose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, I think this rose is not so good as a cut flower. It blooms in a cluster but the blooms do not have strong and long stems. It is beautiful as a bush in the garden. For me it is very fragrant. I am really sorry I do not know where you can buy it from because I do not live in the USA but maybe other people could give advice aboutit.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures