Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemyroses

Smooth Touch thornless hybrid roses

lovemyroses
16 years ago

After trying to prune my thick thorny Fairy rose (among others) early this Spring, I decided to look into thornless roses. I found some pictures on the internet of a line of roses called "Smooth Touch" roses, but I haven't found any distributors or stores that carry them in the US. Does anyone know if these can be purchased in US anywhere? Thanks.

Comments (14)

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

I have a Smooth Touch rose called Smooth Ballerina...and it thornless which is a good thing.

Select your varities carefully because most Smooth Touch roses don't have any fragrance. The catalogue says that Smooth Ballerina has a mild fragrance - but I can't smell a thing. If I was to choose between a thornless rose or a fragrant rose - I would go for a fragrant rose. That's just my opinion.

I got my plant 2 months ago, and now it has this virus causing the bottom leaves to turn yellow with spots.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

'Secret' is a fragrant hybrid Tea with very few thorns. It does has some thorns, but they are mostly down low on the plant, away from cutting stems. I don't know if it would be hardy in your zone.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

Of all the "smooth touch" series one of the best is Smooth Prince. A crimson red rose that is highly rated by the American Rose Society. I've seen it locally and it just glows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smooth Prince

• michaelalreadytaken
    16 years ago

Smooth Angel is in some of the nurseries up here--and very appealing at first glance. The Smooth Series is from Monrovia so you might want to send them an email and ask about distributors near you.

MichaelAT

• lovemyroses
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I do have Heritage, which I love. And Reine des Violettes from the Antique Rose Emporium is on my "to get" list for next year. I will also check on Monrovia dealers around here to see if I can find the Smooth Series hybrid tea roses. I will also check into Secret. I've seen that one before but can't remember how thorny it was. Thanks for the advice!

Oh, I did find "Helen Hayes" a near thornless hybrid tea, locally. I bought 9 of them. She has a multi-colored flower and sometimes it's a yellow, at least so far.

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Something to think about for later on down the road, if you develop a taste for single petaled roses ... 'Basye's Blueberry'. 100% thornless and a strong fruity scent. Blooms shatter very quickly, but reblooms well and is a great plant.

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayse's Blueberry shrub rose

• pocajun
    16 years ago

21st Century is a beautiful H.T. rose with wonderful fragrance and a yellow which holds its color as good or better than any other yellow and it is thornless. good luck

Patrick

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I love my Zephirine Drouhin. I have several---very easy to propagate.

Her canes are smooth and her fragrance is divine !!

Florence

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I found a Smooth Prince today at Home Depot. I can't say what color the blooms are as it looked a little worse for wear.

• stan20881_msn_com
    12 years ago

Found them at Lowe's in the Denver Metro area.

• themimmy
    10 years ago

Found a beautiful yellow I think called Buttercup grandiflora style at Lowe's in Reading PA last Spring. Planted it and by end of July to Dec it was pushing out bouquets of bright yellow roses. Not much smell but lovely and long lasting in the vase. Want to buy at least 3 more this year (2014) in different colors. According to literature I have read they have about 18 different bushes and colors. Very happy with the first one. So tired of trimming and getting all cut up and a mess to discard. Especially the climbers I've had.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

'Smooth Buttercup' at HMF looks gorgeous. I hope you will post pictures of yours Mimmy.

• Harton
    9 years ago

Easy to Grow Bulbs seems to have all the Smooth Touch roses. Can't recommend them, since I have none. My first concern is always disease resistance.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists