Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smooth Touch thornless hybrid roses

Posted by lovemyroses 6a (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 23:56

After trying to prune my thick thorny Fairy rose (among others) early this Spring, I decided to look into thornless roses. I found some pictures on the internet of a line of roses called "Smooth Touch" roses, but I haven't found any distributors or stores that carry them in the US. Does anyone know if these can be purchased in US anywhere? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smooth Touch thornless hybrid roses

I have a Smooth Touch rose called Smooth Ballerina...and it thornless which is a good thing.

Select your varities carefully because most Smooth Touch roses don't have any fragrance. The catalogue says that Smooth Ballerina has a mild fragrance - but I can't smell a thing. If I was to choose between a thornless rose or a fragrant rose - I would go for a fragrant rose. That's just my opinion.

I got my plant 2 months ago, and now it has this virus causing the bottom leaves to turn yellow with spots.

o

Here's three roses that I recommend to you.

My 'Reine des Violettes' from The Antique Rose Emporium is thornless, and it is a fragrant beauty.

My David Austin rose, 'Heritage', does not have very many thorns at all (although it is not totally thornless). It has a nice, fresh, light fragrance.

'Pink Gruss an Aachen' also has very few thorns (fewer thorns than the original Gruss). It's fragrant, floriferous, & a compact, tidy shrub.

These three could handle the cold of your winters, and their blooms are very shapely. They would not be good for a cutting/vase rose however. My other "thornless" roses are for warmer climes, but no problem, because the above three are my favorite low-thorn roses.

Randy

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 10:25

'Secret' is a fragrant hybrid Tea with very few thorns. It does has some thorns, but they are mostly down low on the plant, away from cutting stems. I don't know if it would be hardy in your zone.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 12:45

Of all the "smooth touch" series one of the best is Smooth Prince. A crimson red rose that is highly rated by the American Rose Society. I've seen it locally and it just glows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smooth Prince

o

Smooth Angel is in some of the nurseries up here--and very appealing at first glance. The Smooth Series is from Monrovia so you might want to send them an email and ask about distributors near you.

MichaelAT

o

Thank you for the replies. I do have Heritage, which I love. And Reine des Violettes from the Antique Rose Emporium is on my "to get" list for next year. I will also check on Monrovia dealers around here to see if I can find the Smooth Series hybrid tea roses. I will also check into Secret. I've seen that one before but can't remember how thorny it was. Thanks for the advice!

Oh, I did find "Helen Hayes" a near thornless hybrid tea, locally. I bought 9 of them. She has a multi-colored flower and sometimes it's a yellow, at least so far.

o

Something to think about for later on down the road, if you develop a taste for single petaled roses ... 'Basye's Blueberry'. 100% thornless and a strong fruity scent. Blooms shatter very quickly, but reblooms well and is a great plant.

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayse's Blueberry shrub rose

o

21st Century is a beautiful H.T. rose with wonderful fragrance and a yellow which holds its color as good or better than any other yellow and it is thornless. good luck

Patrick

o

I love my Zephirine Drouhin. I have several---very easy to propagate.

Her canes are smooth and her fragrance is divine !!

Florence

o

I found a Smooth Prince today at Home Depot. I can't say what color the blooms are as it looked a little worse for wear.

o

Found them at Lowe's in the Denver Metro area.

o

Found a beautiful yellow I think called Buttercup grandiflora style at Lowe's in Reading PA last Spring. Planted it and by end of July to Dec it was pushing out bouquets of bright yellow roses. Not much smell but lovely and long lasting in the vase. Want to buy at least 3 more this year (2014) in different colors. According to literature I have read they have about 18 different bushes and colors. Very happy with the first one. So tired of trimming and getting all cut up and a mess to discard. Especially the climbers I've had.

o

'Smooth Buttercup' at HMF looks gorgeous. I hope you will post pictures of yours Mimmy.

o

Easy to Grow Bulbs seems to have all the Smooth Touch roses. Can't recommend them, since I have none. My first concern is always disease resistance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here