Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Ramblin' Red over an arbor, finally! (large files)

pappu
16 years ago

This is it's third year and finally, it is over the arbor. The April cold snap severly reduced the bud count and reduced the quality of the blooms, but nonetheless a stunner!

Comments (25)

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Good Grief;Don't look like no reduced bud count to me.That is gorgeous.The Clematis growing up in it is really stunning, too.wow, I been trying to get two roses to grow up over a arbor for 3 years and they won't grow,and I have fertilized and watered and done every thing to get these fools to grow.Even dug one out and replaced it with a different rose and it quickly grew up to about 5 ft and stopped and just sits doing nothing.It DID have maybe a dozen blooms on it,and the other bush had maybe 2 dozen blooms,but the darn things won't grow.Yours is really beautiful.

Jean

• cypressmom
    16 years ago

OOOOOHHHH!

That is crazy beautiful.Will it stay in bloom for July 4th~ Red White and Blue!

Thank you
    Julie

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

Welcome back! You have been missed!!

Loving your RR, it is simply gorgeous! My RR is not doing as good as yours. That cold snap in April did a number on it too. Thought about SPing it, but just couldn't do it. Has come back pretty well, but not like yours! I guess I am just not the "rose whisperer" that you are.

{{gwi:1240630}}

Also love your Livin' Easy. I responded recently to a thread of yours from last year about LE. (thank you for enabling me) We planted 3 last year and now I wish we had planted more!

I always enjoy your photos so much. :-) Your mass planting are to die for!
    Marylu

• welltraveled
    16 years ago

WOWZERS!

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

That's an amazing sight. I planted 2 red fountains on similar arbor, hopefully they will look as good as yours. The clematis really complements all that red. What are those oranges in the front? Do they look like that all season?

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

That's spectacular! My gosh, there's so much growth it appears you could barely squeeze thru the arbor! Beautiful!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

I want to move next door to you so I can sit and look at your yard. It's inexpressibly gorgeous. What clemmie is that? It's a perfect companion to the rose.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

WOW---what a sight----Very impressive-----Your roses sure are traffic-stoppers.

Florence

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, can't tell from here that you're missing any buds! I'll bet you've got cars stopping to look and see:)
    Leslie

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Thats just insane!! wow!

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

My god, just WHAT was in that tea anyway!?! It is huge
    and beautiful!!
    alida

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

Spectacular!

• carla17
    16 years ago

Pappu, what beautiful pictures and I'm so glad to see you posting. I missed you here!
    I still remember your alfalfa tea recipe fondly!!

Carla

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Pappu, so glad to see you posting again. Your photos from last year have been around forever, and this just adds to the drool factor. Thanks for posting
    Kathy

• violet312s
    16 years ago

That is unbelievably beautiful! If that were my arbor I would sit in a lawn chair for hours just looking at it.

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

OK, I've got the white arbor, I've got the soil, now all I need are your green thumbs!

Simply breathtaking roses! Those photos should be gracing the cover of "House Beautiful".

Betty:)

• nberg7
    16 years ago

I will think of a word to describe it as soon as my jaw returns to it's normal position.

Great to see your roses again Pappu!! Can we have more pictures pretty please???

Nancy

• pappu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all!
    I couldnt post for a long time but I am glad to be back and see familiar names and posts here..
    I just could not afford anytime for the roses much of last year and did not winter protect at all. Almost everything died to the ground except for a few mordens and some climbers. I fertilized early and whatever growth came up was zapped again to the ground by the late frost and the climbers took a big hit. But everything came up for a spectacular spring show, just late. I am amazed at the resilience of roses.
    The clematis is Ramona, a super vigourous one. It is battle between equals between Ramona and Ramblin red and I had to severly prune them back this spring and I have to keep both in bounds thru out the year.
    The orange is Livin easy. Amazing rose. Died to the ground and looked totally DEAD. Not a single inch of viable cane was left. All the growth is from below the ground (I plant my bud unions 4-5 inches deep)and now it looks totally leafed out and blooming its head off. All nine made it and are going gangbusters. I planted a hedge of wintergem boxwoods in front of them and the combo(green and orange) looks just swell.
    Again, thanks all. I have new respect for roses after this winter. Many supposedly zone 3 perinneals did not make it, many lilacs died and here are the roses with a 'wow' show with out any protection at all. Ofcouse all HTs apart from Love and Peace(all six survived and are going great guns) died. I will try to post more pictures...

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

How gorgeous, I love Ramblin' Rose. I wish I could find it on fortuniana, I'd own it in a minute. I love the clematis with it. So beautiful.
    Nancy

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Very nice view. Your garden is immaculate.

• ditaroy
    16 years ago

I have been looking for a pictures like that for weeks!! that is just beautiful....Now here is the question...how many clematis plants and how many roses have you planted on that arbor to get such a full flush of blooms? Would love to know your secret....it is absolutely gorgeous and luckily for me I am in the same zone as you so there is hope!! I have been looking for a climbing rose got a don juan which just is about ready to say bye to this world being attacked by black spot....

So your tip on planting and care on these beautiful roses will be appreciated by a lot of people I am sure!!

Thanks!!!

• sam0738
    16 years ago

Its great looking. I don't know how you get them to grow so good, but keep doing it. Looks like you are suffering with the low bud count , I can't imagine having that many blooms.

• ditaroy
    16 years ago

Oh Hey Pappu, I just looked online and found gorgeous pictures of your livin easy hedge....it is a stunner...you really need to post more pictures and I was wondering what exposure do all these roses have...is it south?

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

WOW! A touch of PARADISE. That rose looks floriferous.

• Christy Spradling
    5 years ago

Pappu, I realize this is a very old thread, but if you read this, I would love and very much appreciate your help! I planted 2 RR's at the base of my arbor (zone 7) 3 years ago, and it's just not performing well. Please, please tell me how you've gotten yours so beautiful----I've always dreamed of having a red rose-covered arbor like that, and I'm just not getting it. I mulched, fertilize with Miracle Grow for roses, spray with neem oil, and they get full sun. It's barely growing and missing most of its' leaves. Please help me!