Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebug4u

Best disease resistant everblooming roses

rosebug4u
16 years ago

I am looking for black spot resistant roses that will bloom all summer. An added bonus would be some fragrance, but I would forgo that for ease of care. I have 3 roses that become totally bare by June with BS and I don't have the time to take proper care of them nor do I want to spray them. I was thinking of Homerun...but I'm not sure if it would go well being next to my Purple Pavement rugosa. I would appreciate your experiences with this.

Thank you.

Comments (26)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what size you are looking for, but if the Home Run size is acceptable (4 ft), then there are several I grow that you might consider.

David Austin disease-resistant roses: Mayflower (Pink), Blythe Spirit (light yellow), William Shakespeare 2000 (red with purplish hue).

John Clements disease-resistant roses: Morning Has Broken (yellow).

Others: Earth Song (pink)--can't remember the breeder. Buck rose maybe?

And, of course, there are the Knock Out roses--red, several shades of pink, one yellowish-white one.

Home Run is a good rose--if the color would work with your garden. Bright red that stays bright red instead of purpling like too many red roses do.

Most of these will have a heavier spring bloom, but they all rebloom also.

Good luck in your search.

Kate

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I wonder if a china rose would freeze to death during your winters? The antique china rose "Spice" is my healthiest rose down here.

Randy

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A 4 foot rose would be fine in my area. As far as freezing is concerned, our winters have become warmer and warmer. It's rare that we get below 18 degrees these days and that temperature doesn't last very long.

I have a pink rose bush...then Purple Pavement next to it. I would love to have Home Run because of the deep red color. I only have one place to put it...and that is right next to PP. I'm not sure the colors would go well together...Yellow would look good but I really want that red...decisions..decision...

Kate, do any of the roses you mentioned have a fragrance?

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Buck roses Earth Song, Prairie Harvest, Winter Sunset, and Quietness. All have some fragrance; Quietness and Winter Sunset have the most. All would look good next to PP. You probably know about HelpMeFind.com for pictures and vendors.

Most tea and china roses are not as disease resistant in eastern zone 6 as they are in the Deep South.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

I don't remember Home Run and Morning Has Broken having fragrance. The others do, with Shakespeare 2000 having perhaps the strongest.

I have never seen PP, so can't really judge, but going by its name, WS2000 may be a good choice since it is a gorgeous red with purple overtones, especially as it ages. WS2000 is a wonderful rose--blooms a lot, very disease-resistant.

Kate

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, I looked up WS2000 and it has a very similar color to PP. I like the fact that it has a fragrance so it's one that I'll consider. Yellow would look good with PP too. I'll have to find some pictures and put them together to see how they would look.

Michael, thank you for the HelpMeFind site. That is so helpful. This is great. I have time to decide and want to hopefully make the right decision as this is the only spot I have left to put in a new rose. I ordered 2 red knockouts and got pink. It's a great color...but I wanted red! I ordered Austin Thomas ? not sure of the name...which was supposed to be light red..and that was pink too. It has a great fragrance. I guess I am still leaning toward red!!

• paulieinct
    16 years ago

Highly recommend 'Savoy Hotel' and 'Frederic Mistral', both exceptionally disease resistant HT's and the latter having powerful fragance. 'Quietness' is new for me this year and so far I am very impressed with it. 'Earth Song' I've grown for almost 20 years in the same spot - disease-free. -Paul

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Prairie Harvest is light yellow with hybrid tea form, if you want that. Carefree Sunshine is a beautiful landscape rose with nearly single flowers, soft medium yellow, spreading wide enough to make an impact, tremendous bloomer. Both are very resistant to blackspot and cane hardy in zone 6.

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. Now I have to decide what color I would like to have. This changes my mindset from red to perhaps yellow. I have a lot of pink, so I may not go with that color. Can you suggest any disease resistant red roses besides Knockout and Home Run...while I'm still thinking "red"?

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I don't grow any of them, but there are four red climbers that people are finding easy to grow, Fields of the Wood, Quadra, Ramblin Red, and Illusion. They are all hardy to zone 6 or better. There are shots of these on the galleries. Fields otW is fragrant.

My most resistant red bush rose is Traviata, dark true red, oversized HT plant, no fragrance.

• ghdr
    16 years ago

Try The Fairy and Playboy......I am new in gardening and am guilty of the death of dozens of roses in the last three years. These two survived!

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Traviata is a beautiful red. Fairy has tons of flowers...It's incredible. I love that!! Is Playboy really as orange as it looks in the pictures? Now I am going to really have to rethink what I'll put in there. I'm copying some of the pictures and pasting them together with Purple Pavement. That way I can get a much better idea of how well they would go together. All of your suggestions are so helpful. Thank you.

• ghdr
    16 years ago

Playboy is VERY orange....lots of folks think it doesn't match anything in their gardens. But I love it because it reblooms sooooooo fast! No other roses can beat it for that part.But it requires some shade....otherwise the petals get burnt pretty easily in hot summer days. I ordered a shed to provide it shade. Just got an email this morning that they shipped it yesterday. I can't wait! It will provide shade to my hydrangea and the other rose named Frantasia.

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can see why that orange color would be hard to match in certain gardens. It would clash in mine too, unfortunately... Some of the pinks I looked at are really beautiful...but I have a number of pink roses...and that's the problem. I'm thinking of a contrasting color. What is so great is that I am getting to know roses I had never heard of before.

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

Chinas will perish in zone 6. I second Michaelg's suggestion of Quietness and Winter Sunset. I have both and they are lovely and fragrant.

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just saw Hot Cocoa on the forum. Has anyone had experience with it as far disease resistance? It has a terrific color and fragrance, they say....I am really looking for a more dramatic color.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

We had been out of town for six weeks and I didn't have time to pamper my roses before we left. Thus those roses that are spotless or nearly so in this humid coastal climate after such a long neglect, I would say are disease resistant. Caveat: zone 6 may have different strain of blackspot.

Let me add that I still didn't have enough time to examine all my roses, so the list hopefully will get larger. And, so far no Austin could be named as "almost or entirely spotless".

Buff Beauty
    Caramel Antike
    Cindarella Fairy Tale
    Colette
    Field of Woods
    Floral Fairy Tale
    Folklore
    Irish Hope
    Laguna
    Leonardo da Vinci
    Papi Delbard
    Prosperity

Of the red HTs:
    Barkarole (almost spotless)
    Royal William (almost spotless)

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ceterum...I will look those up too. I can't believe how many choices there are. This is terrific!!

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Ceterum- Barkarole is gorgeous! Is it really that dark? At HMF it states that this rose is susceptible to mildew- have you had that problem?
    Laguna is an interesting color. How would you describe it?
    Floral Fairy Tale is rather an orange color in the pics at HMF- what color is it for you?
    I would like to have Fields of the Woods but have been unable to find it anywhere so far. I am looking for a really resistant red also, so I really appreciate this thread, rosebug. Brandy

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Yes, Barkarole is that dark. It is the "blackest' red after Black Baccara but Barkarole has fragrance, is a very vigorous grower and much healthier than Black baccara. Another perfect red is Papa Meilland - it didn't start out as very disease resistant but from year 4 it has become so. His fragrance is to die for.
    I had mildew problem with a few roses like Baron Giraud de l'Ain or Clotilde Soupert but not with Barkarole.

Floral Fairytale is not orange (I am not fond the color of orange) but soft apricot with pinkish hue in cool weather and cream- colored in very hot weather.
    Laguna, based on what I saw is strong pink like Pink peace (but I missed the big first flush since we weren't here)

You can get Field of the Woods from Lisa of Countryside Garden.

Let me close with saying that none of the Austins would make the "best disease resistant list" in my garden though some newer Austins are somewhat better than the old ones.

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Thank you, ceterum. I think I might try Barkarole and Fields of the Woods. Brandy

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm now considering Barkarole and Floral Fairytale along with Hot Cocoa which I just discovered. What a great way to learn about roses!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

I went a month late last fall not spraying my roses and only two that I can think of right now came up disease free:

Lady Mitchell (a short growing cherry red, glossy foliaged, fragrant, HT that I've had now for 4 years)

Pat Austin (I know it's an Austin, but for me it has been virtually disease free even when I didn't spray for a month. I don't know if Ceterum has her or not.)

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Thank you, Mary. Pat Austin is one rose I really like- at least seeing it in the catalog, I've never seen it in real life. I wonder if anyone else has found it to be very healthy? I love orange! I thought about Vavoom but some who have it didn't seem to like it very well. And I was told that Voodoo was likely to get black spot, so, I haven't found an orange I really like yet. I've looked at many that were suggested, but most often they are not bright enough and orange enough for me. The backdrop will be the climber Ginger Syllabub. So, I'd like something bright to go w/ it or a dramatic red. Brandy

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of Home Run and Double Knock Out to share? I don't really trust the catalogs to show how the shrubs really look when it is full grown.

Thanks.

• rosebug4u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoops, did it again...wrong thread.