Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

2012 Lopsided Garden Part III and Little E's Memorial Day

serenasyh
11 years ago

Dear Forumers for sure this time the blooms are not as nice as previously and the Lumpy Roses are back with a vengeance. Many of my roses are resting, and the baby roses are just not strong enough to get the best shape or! they still are only at the baby bud stage. So this is the best I can manage. I put the decent ones ahead of the Lumpy Lumps. But the great news is that I am finally seeing a few honeybees. I had truly thought something bad had happened to them, but so far I am seeing a handful of visitors and hope there will eventually be a swarm of striped fuzzies like last year :) Another wonderful news is that Eluane had a 1st Place win her Excellent/Advanced Level JWW run on Memorial's Day! What a Lord-Blessed Miracle that was; I am soooo happy! So here goes the photos!

Lincoln Hybrid Tea

Distant Drums

Astilbe

The Honeybee photos

Just a nice dusk photo of the Russian sage thrown into the mix ;)

Clementina Carbonieri

Penny Lane - poor Penny Lane is a rabbit magnet and always has to start from scratch. I'm so glad I did not! SP it, because of the "white" factor. What saved it from the shovel was the unique gardenia scent which reminded me so much of my Dad's love for his gardenias.

Troika Baby Rose. Blooms are huge for such a young age. Nice fragrance! Sadly I missed the spiral form of its 2nd bloom because I was away at agility trials

Here is Troika's first bloom in my garden. Yup the Lumpy Roses are back, lol!

Don Juan: the Final Stumpy Lump, haha! But at least he's got good fragrance.

And here is the Little E, what a Sweet Girlie she is! She tries so hard to do well. Bless her and many thanks to the Good Lord and the nice folks in England giving us advice and trying to help us with our training.....

{{gwi:1241034}}

Comments (17)

• inga007
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Clever girl, little E. Hope she chases the rabbits away.

Love your roses.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Serena, your rose pics are wonderful. The honeybee pics are great as well, and the sage at dusk is a lovely shot.

I need to look up Penny Lane, the gardenia fragrance sounds very interesting.

The color blends on Clementina are spectacualar.

• lovemysheltie
    11 years ago

Wonderful roses Serena, & E is pretty, pretty, pretty :)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

Serena, you posted some great looking lumps...lol
    Congrats to Eluane!

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Serena, I'm so sorry...meant to say how sweet and intelligent Eluane looks, it's been kind of an exhausting week, I'm sorry I forgot to mention about Eluane.

• lesmc
    11 years ago

The smile and the bright eyes of your dog has made my day!! She is just outstanding. Thank you for sharing her photos....and your Mr. Lincoln rose is a true beauty. Lesley

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I still haven't figured out what is lumpy and lopsided about your roses. I like them!

And I like you E. also. : )

Kate

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inga, Leslie, Krista, LoveMySheltie, Kate, and Jim, Eluane sends her puppy kisses and she is so happy and proud of everyone's hugs and support! Her Mama is a bit of a Nimwit ; the Advanced Excellent Level we had a very challenging good judge (often Advanced Courses are not up-to-par with the extremely difficult courses at the UK) and only 1/3rd of the Advanced Dogs qualified this time so yes, this definitely was the Good Lord's Miracle for us! because it was one of the "hard" and more challenging courses.

Krista, many hugs! I can understand exhaustion and long days! Hope you get some TLC this weekend so that you can feel re-energized!

Well, Lesley I have two more Lincoln shots but sadly I could not get the proper lighting today so everything is a bit "wacked". Kate, with fancy cameras I have no excuse for Lumps. People may not have the fancy camera but I can already sense the Green Horns of Jealousy arise, because I'm not fooled by those who are stuck with unfancy cameras; I can sense all the gorgeous Beauty in their garden regardless of cameras. Jim doesn't have a fancy camera and I got plenty jealous detecting faraway "spirals" on his Lincoln haha! These I lost the Spiral again (sigh)

Oh, Krista I looove Clementina C. Her colors are so gorgeous and she is planted in the perfect spot so that the sun doesn't scorch them. Unfortunately thrips love her too but many times her blooms manage to emerge unscathed...

Dear forumers one of my baby roses Stephen's Big Purple is starting to open and so is Frederic Mistral. If all goes well I will continue with this thread. Depends on how it works out! Crossing my fingers!

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Beautiful (not lumpy) roses Serena! And Little E is a champion for sure! Good job!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Beth! We are missing your GORGEOUS roses TO THE MAX, Beth! Hoping to see your Alphabet roses soon, soon soon! Little E-Bear sends you her puppy kisses too!

• boxofrox
    11 years ago

KG,

You're still in Kansas anymore ;-)

So where to start with the superlatives. I suppose we should start with the animate rather than the inanimate. What a fine, fine canine you have gotten yourself there! There seems little doubt that she realizes she is too. You can always tell when it's special because one can never decipher which is the luckiest of you two.......what would we ever do without them ?

Your roses are quite enchanting. Red is red and Lincoln and Ok are that and we both love them. I'm going to have to appreciate from afar for now and you make it very easy to do that :-) But those tweeners are very, very lovely and intriguing. DD and CC and Troika have colors and hues that almost seem to defy a stationary spot on the color wheel. They are almost abalone-ish in that they change color with the direction of the light. Very lovely indeed my dear, as is your knack for capturing them properly.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Congrats, E!!! The roses and garden look beautiful, Serena!

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awwww, thank you so much Boxo for all your sweet Words and yes, the Little E is indeed the most Sweeeet of Eeee's and the most animated! I wish you all could see her expressions and the very famous Border Collie constant tilting of the head and ears as if she is trying to understand every tiny thing you are trying to say. Little Eluane sends her love to Starina as well.

Well, Boxo, I am still lurking at your thread for updates too! I am drooling just thinking about your July festivities. I know for sure the Dahlias are gonna be popping like Fireworks! With your garden,I'm always plotting like a greedy Landlocked Pirate (being stuck in Kansas) months ahead of time on where to stake out for the Ultimate Treasure, yo-ho-ho! ;)

Thank you Seil for all the congratulations and kind words!

OK, folks sadly the Frederic Mistral bud I was so looking forward to balled up from those evil thrips. Gaaaaaah!!!

But to make up for the heartburn of those nasty creatures, 3 of Anna de Diesbach buds survived (3 didn't)so again- like I've always said, every organics garden has its own headaches...

Troika: Finally caught its spiral

Penny Lane: This rose continues to take my breath away. Half of its bloom life it is a gorgeous spiraling HT, the other half of its bloom life my favorite OGR form. And the blooms last a good while, now that its been transplanted to a full sun location.

Anna de Diesbach under two different camera settings both are color accurate, it just depends of time of day you look at the bloom (couldn't decide which one I liked better, lol):

Folklore:

Lincoln: Still no luck with the camera or the bloom quality. I'm just not able to get up early enough to take the photo I need to take.

Folks I'm still waiting for Stephen's Big Purple. It really seems a gorgeous purple so far, but after what happened to the once-promising Freddie, I dare not hope too much.

If it's not the thrips, it'll be the dang cucumber beetle munching...

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Great pics of Anna de Diesbach, Serena. That is an interesting bloom form on Penny Lane, very elegant.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Lovely rose photos...especially like the honey bees in motion :)

Congrats to Little E on her trials! We have a whippet/cattle dog mix that I'd like to get invovled in agility training. I'm just afraid that it will teach him to jump the fence :(

Tammy

• serenasyh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Krista! Yes, I just love Anna de Diesbach! It's so strange that here I am dreading white in my Garden and here is Penny Lane teaching me to sit down and Shut Up, lol! It is fast becoming one of my favorite roses.

Tammy, once you've been involved in Agility, you will be probably like the rest of the Agility folks, ADDICTED, haha! And the dogs have sooo much fun. Life will never be the same, and no, agility dogs will not be jumping over the fence. They will always love their "Puppy School" and can immediately distinguish Puppy School from the plain and boring fence which they'll just ignore, lol! I Promise You This, lol! I'm a bit jealous that you are in Tennessee. Much more opportunities to go to several trials. Kansans have to travel very, very far to get enough trials to compete, but we've got some totally Awesome World Class competitors here. One Kansan even won 1st place in one of the International European Competitions this year. And there are others who regularly make it to World International Team competitions. Must be in the water that Kansans drink, hahaha! Eluane and I can only win through Lord-Blessed Miracles. We only compete 4-5x a year; it's all we can afford. Almost all dog agility folks in Kansas compete in other venues, not just AKC, and they will travel several hundreds of miles as well so they average about 24 trials at the very minimum per year. They also attend classes, seminars from famous handlers. I've been a freelancer/unemployed for over 2 years so we've only taken one class total, lol! So we do the best that we can and count on the Good Lord to carry us the rest of the way, haha! We do have a club membership so we can still practice on our own once a week, so that is good! But not having an instructor is a huge!!!!! problem. You really need classes to do well in agility. I have to depend on my friends in England for advice and we've already made many critical mistakes in trying to do training on our own.... Our training has been experiment after experiment... The rosette is from our Hardest Level, Excellent AKC Jumpers and the course was challenging. We're still stuck in Open though for Standard. We need 2 more wins to get to Excellent :) We also got a very late start in agility. Eluane began at 4.5 years and now she just turned 6 which is "ancient" compared to the fast younger dogs. That's like running a 42 year old compared to a dog in its prime 20 year old range so not much time left for us. But it's still so fun and rewarding and we take the Moments of Grace in our time and stride!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

As you know I'm not a fan of white roses but your Penney Lane has great form! Nice! Anna de Diesbach,Troika,Folklore, and Lincoln all look great!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting