Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Roses and Clematis combinations

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

I didn't realize how many rose-clematis combinations I had until I looked at the pics my daughter took of my gardens on Memorial Day. Here's a selection from her pics.

Well-Being (Harkness shrub) and clematis Durandii (scrambler).

Here's a close-up of Well-Being. I love how the color of the buds contrasts with the actual flower. It blooms in clusters.

This pic shows the red-and-white portion of my garden, starring Dublin Bay Climber and clematis Alba Luxurians. That's Eutin (floribunda) in the bottom right-hand corner.

Here are some old favorites: Buff Beauty (hybrid musk) backed by clematis Jackmani (they are out back by the alley--about 5 Jackmani out there).

Clematis Venosa Violacea is also on the back alley fence, mixed in with the Jackmani. I really like Venosa Violacea.

I had trouble placing clematis Prince Charles--had to move him three times before he found a home he liked with the climber Golden Showers.

In the background behind Prince Charles and Golden Showers is one of my favorites--oh, oh, it's clematis Princess Diana. (I'll leave the jokes to you!)

Too bad the hybrid musk Jeri Jennings wasn't blooming more fulsomely while my daughter was visiting, but you can see how charmingly the clematis Rooguchi (scrambler) grows up through Jeri's sprays.

This is supposed to be the combo of climber Sombreuil and clematis Rhapsody (I think), but Sombreuil is still young and wasn't blooming yet. She's white--should be quite dramatic next to Rhapsody's rich purple, don't you think?

Just to make sure I didn't get too carried away with the clematis pics, let me add one more rose--my newest one: the polyantha Mother's Day. This is her very first bloom--she is so small and cute.

{{gwi:215444}}

Hope you enjoyed my rose-clematis combos. I have a few others, but they were not in bloom. I'll post them later.

Kate

Comments (18)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

These are lovely, Kate!

• boxofrox
    12 years ago

Very nice Kate. I love it when they contrast, especially blue/purple clems with white/buff/yellow or orange-ish roses.

• sanrosa
    12 years ago

I adore clematis and roses together. Thank you for sharing your lovely combinations!
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color and Light

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

I absolutely love your red climbers, Kate. Very splendid show!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Gorgeous clematis!!! Jackamani can be grown here against the side of a house. I don't have one, but I've seen them. Just a fantastic clematis!!! Yours is gangbusters strong!!!

Your clematis Princess Diana is so different and gorgeous!!! How big are the flowers?? They look huge!! I just love this one!!!!

Love your garden!!! Can you post another picture of Rhapsody when Sombriel is blooming. That sounds like a beautiful combination. I know Sombriel is young, but the potential is there!!!

Carol

• lovemysheltie
    12 years ago

Amazing combinations, you have such an eye for color. That Venosa is really beautiful. I think I want one too!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love your red and white garden. What beautiful color combinations you have in your garden!
    Renee

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the nice words. I do like having somewhat of a "theme" for each bed--like the red and white bed, for instance. I enjoy playing with color, as well as size, shape, etc. It is especially fun when the color combinations actually work well. Poor Prince Charles looked awful in the first two combinations I tried to work out for him. Third try worked fine!

Canadian rose--I hope my pics didn't mislead you. The close-up of Princess Diana makes her look much larger than she actually is. Those bright pink tulip-shaped bells are actually rather petite--quite charming little things. The color is vivid, however.

When Sombreuil finally blooms, I'll post that combo, but so far, I'm not seeing any buds on Sombreuil. Hope nothing is wrong.

Kate

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

I was thinking that might be the case - probably of the Vitecelli (or whatever it's called - LOL) class.

Lovely, lovely coloring.

Carol

• CapeHeart
    12 years ago

I love all of your combos and also colors! Sooooo pretty!!!! Well Being is very nice -wonderful colors!!! I only had one Buff Beauty left I wish mine was as beautiful as yours! Your yard is beautiful!!!!! :)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Nice pics Kate!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I need to make a correction. My second to last pic above--the combo of climber Sombreuil and clematis Rhapsody--I don't think that clematis is Rhapsody. I seem to remember Rhapsody as having more of a blue stripe down the center of each petal--which means I probably planted it on the other side of my yard climbing up the Austin rose Queen of Sweden. When that blooms, I'll post a picture.

Anyway, combing through my memory (which plays tricks on me), I'm going to say the purple clematis paired with the white rose Sombreuil is probably called "Viola." I think--maybe perhaps. : (

Strange how I can name every one of my 65 roses, but names blur together for everything else.

Kate

• flora2b
    12 years ago

Dublin bay with clem which is not Haku Ookan, but likely Crystal Fountain.
    {{gwi:217188}}

Or pink and yellow anyone.

Flora

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Wow, your clematis are really lovely, I like the shapes to their blooms. Lovely roses as well, thanks for sharing.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Flora, I like your combos! Tried to grow a yellow clem some years ago, but it never took off for some reason.
    Yours looks fine. And your Dublin Bay--healthy and beautiful. Looks great with the multi blue clem.

Thanks for sharing.

Kate

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

I really like your last photo!! I love pink and yellow together. And the spent clematis flowers add whimsy to the picture.

So sweet!!
    Carol

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I too like venosa violacea. Is this one readily available and a good grower?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, venosa violacea should be readily available at any nursery that specializes in vines/clematis. Probably can be found at any place that carries a large selection of clematis. You can get the names of some of those places if you go over to the clematis forum here at Garden Web.

Kate