Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Mass planting of Carefree wonder: amazing spring flush!

pappu
17 years ago

Planted two rows of carefree wonders last year after much debate on the forum about carefree wonder vs carefree beauty. Finally decided on Carefree wonder and boy was it a good choice! An extraordinary flush, blooms so dense that you cannot see the leaves. The pictures do not do justice to the luminous pink blooms. A mild scent but with so many of the blooms, the scent actually wafts! Great, great landscape rose.

Comments (59)

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

I love this rose too. I was telling my neighbor the other day, I'd own more than 1 bush if I had room. With close to 200 roses, saying I'd own more than 1 of any rose is very high praise.

Enjoy your show. Bet everyone does a double look when they drive by.

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Wow! Thats all I can say.....Wow!
    K

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

MAGNIFICENT !!!!!!

Florence

• aswhad
    17 years ago

I hope for you that someone else must do the deadheading.
    ;-)

• paulieinct
    17 years ago

Absolutely spectacular. You have not only grown them to perfection, but have captured the moment, to the very minute, when they are most perfect. I grow a few CW and I agree the Sprig flush can be breathtaking. For some reason, however, I cannot get them to put out basal shoots, and they decline after a few years.

• kasiec
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness, that is awesome!

Kasie

• Vivian Kaufman
    17 years ago

Wow. Well, I guess THAT made up my mind! LOL

• jo_in_tx
    17 years ago

Oh, my goodness! That is just spectacular! I would give anything to find a rose in a pretty coral/soft orange that bloomed like that!

Well done!

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!
    They are all own root plants. They seem to be very vigorous on own root and they were mere twigs when planted last spring and grew very quick into mounded dense bushes. Very very floriferous and the fall flush is almost as good as the spring one. The only 'problem' is deadheading. for good repeat, they need to be deadheaded, unlike knockouts. Very disease resistant for me. I really love this rose! They look spectacular now and people cannot believe they are for real!

• rosebud
    17 years ago

Beautiful pic. I have a dozen in Atlanta and they get 8 feet tall. Good choice.

• ron_and_susan
    17 years ago

Pappu--Great shots of a great rose. P.S. We know how much work goes into a garden like this and wish you and us were neightor's.--Ron and Susan

• dian2
    17 years ago

Breath taking

• carla17
    17 years ago

Pappu, they look great! You made the right decision.

Carla

• caribqn
    17 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! So many blooms and such neat little mounds! I have a Carefree Wonder, and it's over five feet right now, and very narrow. Although its blooms are beautiful, it's nowhere near as totally covered like yours.

• ehann
    17 years ago

Those are amazing! Seriously, they almost DO look like azaleas. Very beautiful! I consider myself enabled.

• tmac96
    17 years ago

Just curious -- which do you like better -- your Carefree Wonder or Morden Blush? I would like to get 2 or 4 roses to go at the end of my driveway and was thinking of either of these. (Your pics are truly inspiring!) Your thoughts?

• silvergold
    17 years ago

Amazing - I have a small grouping of them but they never look like that together. I think I need to add a few more so they are closer together. Thanks for the post!

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!
    Tmac, I would pick CW over MB. CW is more compact, rounded with better looking foliage than MB. MB bush is a little lanky compared to CW. Both are equally hardy for me and CW is much bigger bush than MB. CW blooms are bigger, more 'interesting' and not as easily ruined(bugs,weather, sun) as the white MB blooms. Both are great roses though, and you need them both! Plant them own root, they are very vigorous on own root and form shapely symmetric rounded bushes on own root.

• msrose
    17 years ago

Okay, so what made you pick Carefree Wonder over Carefree Beauty? You obviously made the right choice, but I've often wondered which is better and was wondering what you heard about Carefree Wonder that made you choose it?

Laurie

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have both CB and CW. I would choose CW over CB. Carefree Beauty is a great rose, can be grown totally no spray. But it is a sprawling bush and throws long canes. It is not compact and likes to kinda hug the ground. A good hard rain and it totally flops around. The blooms are big, but blow fast. Repeat is good but nowhere as good as carefree wonder.

Carefree wonder is compact and branches at the ends like knockout and forms a dense, mounded, upright, strong bush that holds its shape in rain and wind. Blooms are two toned(pink with white reverse) and last much longer than CB. They are also fully double unlike CB. It is an absolute blooming machine and looks incredble right up to fall. It needs to be deadheaded and that can be a chore. It is disease resistant for me, but not totally no spray. I spray it once a month and have never seen BS or PM on it. Get it own root, it really is very vigorous on own root. And lastly, it is much more hardier than Carefree beauty.

• roseperson
    17 years ago

That is a fabulous show with CW. Takes a great deal of works indeed. Must be an avid rosarian. Thanks for sharing.

• violetsareblue
    17 years ago

Can I trade my Carefree Beauty for one of your Carefree Wonder?...lol. I preffer CW now that i've seen yours. I was disappointed when my CB bloomed to find out that it's single petalled.":( Not too crazy about single petalled roses.

• barb_r
    17 years ago

That display is so awesome! It definitely deserves to be bumped back up to the top for those of us who missed it.

• swarmina
    17 years ago

I just want to come lie down there next to them! Absolutely heavenly!!! Good job!

• aegis1000
    17 years ago

pappu,

Your plants are beautiful ... job well done.

Do you know of anything I should be doing that keep my CW's from balling ... like they did this spring ?

• jess2132000
    17 years ago

I really want to buy this rose and put Julia Child mixed in with it. Where I am going to plant them in some shade till noon. How does CW this rose do in some shade?

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    17 years ago

That is really quite a show. It looks good, to say the least. The individual flowers looked to be fairly good sized. Was that typical of the variety, or were you having cooler temperatures that allowed better and larger flower development?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

Holy Cow! How did I miss this thread last year? That is just amazing. If the pictures don't do them justice as you say, I don't think my eyes could handle the sight in person. Just gorgeous.

• jess2132000
    17 years ago

Does carefree wonder bloom most of the summer or mostly in spring?

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I remember this picture from last year-----
    GLORIOUS !!!!!

Florence

• jont1
    17 years ago

Just simply stunning is all I can say.
    How many plants are there planted here???
    John

• Beth Willett
    17 years ago

Yes I remember that pic! Gorgeous! When you trim them, how far do you cut them down, and do you just trim them like a shrub????? Mine don't look like yours!

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

Do you remember what the rose is in the rose tree on the porch? It is so sweet looking...

• pappu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Decobug,the tree rose is electric blanket,from JP. Very hardy and I left it outside this winter and the canes are all viable. I dont think JP is offering it any more. It is a miniature version of Rosarium uterson, same salmon colored, multi petelled blooms in tresses, just smaller. It is a Kordes.
    There are 14 plants in that bed, planted 2 1/2 feet apart. I now realise that I planted way too many and I should have planted them atleast 3 1/2 feet apart. In its fourth year now, the bushes are huge and reach 5 feet tall. Still a blooming machine and the spring flush is unbelievable. Very healthy and hardy.
    It is in the perfect location, south exposure, full sun all day, good drainage and it doesnt dissapoint..flushes all thru the year repeatedly. When in full flush, it is a traffic stopper! But in spring, the thrips almost do it in. I have to spray a insecticide to keeps the blooms looking like in the pictures. After the spring flush, they dont seem to bother the roses.

16 years ago

I remember seeing electric blanket in the stores a ways back... Being a kordes explains the hardiness...

Thrips are a spring bug, they probably don't like the heat of the summer...

Do you have to spray before the thrips get inside the blooms?

• manya
    16 years ago

Pappu-
    Could you please re post your pic of Rambin Red? I have looked for it on here all winter and it is no longer available. Also, where did you buy it? Thanks in advance.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

Manya if you will put rambling red in the search box then click on pappus post it will probably show up the "oops" message, but if you will go up to the address bar when it shows "oops" and remove the #2 on there and then hit the search arrows it will show the post. Does that make sense??? Try it cuz it works. Judy

• manya
    16 years ago

Thank you, just as beautiful as I remember. Prettypetals, will try to access old memories of other pix that way, been getting the "oops" all the time. TY!

• manya
    16 years ago

Pappu- Your pictures have always taken my breath away and are what we all aspire to.

Prettypetals - it works! Thanks very much for the info.

Now if I could eradicate the midge that has plagued my roses for the past 3 years I could dream about my garden.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

Manya you are very welcome. My sis in law (aka - crzy4flowers) enlightened me to take out the 2. Whatever works. Glad to help out and can't wait to see pictures of your new gardens.
    Pappu gorgeous flowers as always. Thanks to your pictures of carefree wonder i pulled up my gardenia ( which looked horrible) and planted three carefree wonders. Can't wait to see them bloom. How big do they eventually get? Thanks, Judy

• manya
    16 years ago

Spring Valley no longer has Ramblin Red on their web site- does anyone know of another source? TY

16 years ago

There are only 3 left at High Country Roses

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Roses

• manya
    16 years ago

Not any more- I ordered them! Thanks.

• mary_rockland
    5 years ago

Those photos are still inspiring. Not just CW, but all of them. You sure know what you are doing with roses. I'm very pleased with my one CW, but naturally it's nothing like yours. What zone are you in? What sort of fertilizer do you use on your CW's? How often do you water them?

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Wow - I just came upon this thread. Wow. And ... wow!

These pictures definitely look like marketing photos. Perfection!

• Tique Lo
    5 years ago

how stunning is this!!! how many flushes of blooms do you get in a year, Pappu? Also, how many rose plants are there in that hedge of bushes? I am very inspired to follow your trend

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

I haven’t seen Pappu for long now.. is he here on the forum anymore? There has been a separate thread too discussing these too

• Dani
    4 years ago

I just bought a Carefree Wonder shrub rose & it seems to be very thorny. I have never owned a CW rose before so I was wondering if this was normal or symptom of a problem like rosette disease. Thanks in advance

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I have been seeking pink bushy rosrs for rose beds near my house with a soray of color, hardy and good in humidity. I am so excited to find Carefree Wonder & Pappu’s gorgeous hedge-best ever!

I will purchase a Carefree Wonder bush from Heirloom Roses today and use my points for a discount! Woohoo! I am purchasing Morden’s Blush, too & a few other pinks for variety. Thank you Pappu & all of you for your praises of Carefree Wonder!

Heirloom Rose’s Photos

I wouod love to hear comments & recent photos from Houzz rose members today, this year 2021?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH