• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Wowwwwza, Cactus Joe!!! Very splendid!

• inga007
    11 years ago

It befits it's name, for sure. Lovely.

• ron_and_susan
    11 years ago

Cactus Joe--Now that's a pic! Should be on the cover of Better Homes and Garden's magazine.--Ron

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, and not often seen outside of England. Your picture is perfection; it would also be lovely to see the whole plant.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow!!! Is it a polyantha?? That's incredible.
    Carol

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Speechless......this is amazing. Thank you for this beautiful picture...Lesley

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

OMG. Rose perfection. I love it more than I love my Bouquet Parfait, which I did not believe was possible.
    Renee

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Amazing!

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosa filipe "Kiftsgate" x unknown hybrid found in the garden of one Mr. James Treasure. It is a massive rose - it killed my pear tree.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Beautiful, abundant blooms, that's delightful.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Now that looks like a healthy plant!!!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It's worth a dead pear tree. It can have both of my avocados if it wants to live here.
    Renee

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Renee, you are just hilarious! oh you are soooo keen! I wish I could think of such perfect lines such as what you said. The perfect and oh so accurate compliment in so few words. Just brilliant! I'd even think you were a writer by profession, lol!

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Hmm I got a pear, a plum and a peach I could loose for that rose

Or better yet...the neighbors oak tree :)

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I'm curious - how large is the bush, and how old? It is mesmerizing...

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The original plant, raised from a cutting given to me by a member of our rose society, was rooted 10 years ago. At year 7, it had completely engulfed the 15 foot pear tree. I had to cut it down completely to the original trunk. At the time of drastic pruning, some of the canes were 20+ feet long. I just went out to visualise the are it used to occupy and measured it - it's about 20 foot wide by 15 feet deep. The estimated height was 15-20 feet. So, it was a complete monster.

In the 3 years since I cut it back, the remaining trunk threw out enormous canes, and the result are trusses of blooms the sizes of which I have never seen before.

Basically, the description is that of the growth habit of Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate" - i.e., not for the faint of heart. And do keep those nitrogen rich fertiser well away from its roots!

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

I had to save you post :) it is so pretty!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource