Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcus_85

Columbus Rose Club Exhibition photos

arcus_85
10 years ago

Hey everyone! I got the pleasure to go to the annual rose exhibition for the Columbus Rose Club here in Ohio yesterday. Met some absolutely fantastic people. Including the former President of the ARS, and Dr. John Dickman (who was a complete gentleman). No entries myself (though I should have) this time. But I figured I'd share the results and photos with you all. Hope you enjoy! I sure did!!
{{gwi:1242582}} Moonstone, Queen of Show

{{gwi:1242584}} Uncle Joe

Marilyn Wellan

Gold Medal

Gemini

{{gwi:1242592}} Dina Gee

{{gwi:1242593}} Peace

Randy Scott, King of Show

Hot Princess

{{gwi:1242596}} Louise Estes, Best of Show

{{gwi:1242597}} St. Patrick, English Box

{{gwi:1242598}} Marilyn Monroe

{{gwi:1242599}} Mohana

{{gwi:1242600}} Big Red

{{gwi:1242601}} Parole

Top row- Eddie Edwards, middle- Diane's Delight, bottom-Raspberry Swirl. Best English Box

Dublin

Brigadoon

Comments (13)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, arcus. Many beauties there, but I must admit to a partiality for Peace--when she is there, she always wins "first place" for me. Great pic.

Kate

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing. There are some high quality flowers there. I am wondering where people are getting some of these plants. I am wondering what rootstock is being used if they are grafted plants because some of them I have only seen as available from southern sources which use fortuniana rootstock that won't survive northern winters. So, I am curious.

• JuanaJennifer
    10 years ago

Your roses is so beautiful!! I love the pictures!

• inga007
    10 years ago

Some lovely presentations.
    Thanks for your photos.

• arcus_85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are very welcome!! the_bustopher: I had the same question. So I started asking around at the show. I myself ordered a few fortunianas this year from James and Daisy (b/c as you said, so many are only available on fort.) and I'm here in Ohio. I know. I know. I couldn't help myself. But a few of the members of the Columbus Rose Club promised me that if I bury the graft I shouldn't have problems. Even in Ohio. They swore they didn't go own root for them either. (Not sure how, but he swears he's dug some up and they were NOT own root) I talked to one guy who has over a hundred on fort. On the flip side, some of the other members won't touch fort here in ohio. So I guess it depends who you ask. But, most of what you see are on multiflora rootstock. And some are even own root! Many of the members graft themselves, so that's how they get all of those on multiflora. Have you tried Wisconsin Roses? Steve is fantastic and buds ONLY on Multiflora. He has some great show roses too.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting your pics from the show. Louise Estes and Moonstone are my favorite pinks today.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I am so jealous of those pristine roses! That Moonstone bloom has absolutely no browning around the edges of the petals like mine always gets...woohoo!

Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Wonderful photos! Thank you so much for sharing the show with us. My show was last weekend too.

I have heard from several sources now that fort. will indeed survive our winters if buried and protected. I intend to try it out myself with a few purchases next spring.

• arcus_85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll let you know how it goes over the winter Seil. I get mixed reactions. But the answer I seem to get most is that if you plant them near the house, rather than in the middle of your yard, they might just make it. With the correct winterizing of course. I'm going to try a few different things and see which works best. Hopefully I'll have some good news to follow up with! When is someone going to open a rose nursery like the one down in Mississippi except on multiflora?? I bet that'd make a lot of people happy! Hmmm, it's a thought...

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Everything looks great. Now, as far as fort. rootstock goes, make sure you plant it fairly deep on the east/southeast side of you're house and during the winter bury everything under a deep layer of leafs or pine needles. It's probably a hit and miss situation. Do not feed after the first of Sept. OR, if you have the ways and means to do this. 25 gal nursery pot. Good potting soil. Plant you're rose at ground level. Keep in the garden until the first hard frost. Then move them into a garage. If the temptatures get outside get below 20, put a SMALL heater in the garage to help keep the pots from freezing. On nice days (over 34 ) pull them out, give then a good watering down and drink. Or every 10 days at the least. Don't just put them in the garage and ignore them. They will die. Seems like a lot of work but you will be happy with the results in the spring.

• arcus_85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to make a correction. I incorrectly labeled Moonstone as queen and Randy Scott as king. My mistake. It was the other way around. :0)

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Beautiful roses! I hadn't heard if some of those until now. Good job with the exhibit.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

they are all so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz