Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

Pics from the last 2 weeks

flaurabunda
11 years ago

I've been out snapping photos from Memorial Day until a couple of days ago. Here are my favorites from the photos that turned out well; still learning the tricks of this camera.

About Face:

Ann Henderson:

Bride's Dream:

This is a must-have--Cupcake blooms continuously and requires no care. Blooms are about an inch & a half across:

Denver's Dream:

A brand new orange dianthus I picked up about a month ago--I lurrrrve this one:

Double Delight:

Garden Party:

Gemini:

Harlekin to the left, About Face in the middle, and Night Owl behind and to the right:

Kanegem in front with Perfect Moment behind it:

Koko Loco. Very photogenic, hard to take a bad picture of her. Here's 3:

Martina Mondadori/Carole Bouquet:

Osiria:

Paradise Found--has a bajillion petals:

Paradise:

Tropical Sunset/Marvelle--what a show off! Here's 3 photos of her:

Voodoo--I love the transitions in this one. The new blooms are such a lovely, relaxing and creamy orange and then--POW! Screaming orange/scarlet after days in the sun:

Comments (19)

• lesmc
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just outstanding! Thanks for the tour. I miss Brides Dream....just too cold here for her, tried twice! I agree on Vodoo....that rose is bold. Looks like you have a great collection. Lesley

• Longfei Yu
    11 years ago

Cupcake looks like Cherish?

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to look up Cherish; I'm not familiar with it. I can see how they may resemble each other, but to me the bloom color & form looks a little bit different. Cherish looks like it has lighter petal bases, fewer petals, and opens to a much looser form. Cupcake, when fully open, has more of a zinnia-type form. And of course it's much smaller, with tiny blooms and delicate foliage.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I'm really enjoying your lovely pics--I'd love to see your Kanegem backed by Perfect Moment in real life. Almost can't imagine that much color!

Your Topical Sunset pics are so luscious. If I ever have an opening in my garden, I may seriously check that one out.

Kate

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate,
    The front walkway with Kanegem looks like it's on fire when they are all in bloom. Here's the lineup, from the street up to the front door:

Daddy Frank
    Cinnamon Girl
    Love
    Denver's Dream
    Rainbow's End
    Kanegem
    Perfect Moment
    Veterans' Honor

It's like a rosy-smelling wall of fire.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

How does Osiria perform? Is it a good producer? How appealing are the fully open flowers?

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

They're beautiful, Flaura! I'm loving my Koko Loco too!

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mantis,
    Osiria was just put in the ground a couple of months ago, so it's really too soon to make a concrete opinion. I like what I see so far; pretty blooms at all stages, nice scent. However, blooms are tiny and the rose is still very immature. It's right on par with the other new roses, though; same amount of growth, same number of blooms.

• lovemysheltie
    11 years ago

Wow. That Tropical Sunset is amazing! Beautiful swirls of colors.

• inga007
    11 years ago

Loved all your blooms.
    Thanks for sharing

• nummykitchen
    11 years ago

Wow, what gorgeous blooms! I'm new to roses so love seeing all of these new-to-me roses and adding some to my want list.

The Tropical Sunset is so unique, I love it! I was looking at Cupcake at an online retailer and after seeing yours really want one, so many blooms and so pretty!

Thanks for sharing :)

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Wow, I looove your Ann Henderson, Koko Loco, Paradise Found! Your Gemini makes me want to cry! I'm very picky about Gemini too. I do not like the pale Gemini's or if they get "blotchy" instead of smooth like yours and the one I used to have was PERFECTION with the deep corals. It makes me sooo sad when I see a your type of Gemini, lol! and one with the deep corals-- Beautiful!!!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

Great pics! Very nice flaurabunda!

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Serena-
    Gemini isn't always such a prom queen. It's all about snapping the pictures after just the right amount of sun exposure. Mine is pale on day 1, beautiful on days 2 and 3, and then goes splotchy, or what I call 'angry orange' after too much sun. For every pretty picture of her that I post, I guarantee I have 35 that are just BLEH.

Nummy,
    Cupcake was a bargain. I bought it for $3 at Lowe's last summer. It's really starting to pump out blooms and it's growing quite vigorously for being such a petite little princess.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all! :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Love your front walkway all "on fire" with hot-colored roses. No one will miss your house, will they!

Kate

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Flaurabunda, it's so funny you mentioned cameras. I was reloading some ancient photos into Facebook last night and it's quite startling to see how much my photo-taking has changed. Back in 2009 (the year of Gemini), I did not know how to handle my camera with the right sun exposures but even so Gemini was always beautiful; to this day save for Folklore and with Penny Lane (growing in sunlight) I've never seen a more perfectly formed rose. Kansas heat ruins rose shapes save for those 2 roses. Gemini always looked good no matter what the lighting; constantly spiraling, and your photo just reminded me so much of what she once was before she died. I loved that rose so much and she was a sport-fragranced one too. Double the Agony of losing her.... I'm afraid to get any other Gemini save from J&P because so few Gemini's have the deep coral, and I still hope to find one just like it.... I also check my local nursery but no dark coral Gemini yet...I bet you are probably being "too modest" or not breaking the hard truth for fear it'd make me "insane with grief" lol. Anyway, your photo of her was very "Haunting" and beautiful-- I felt like it was seeing her all over again....

I also forgot to say, I love your "Wall of Fire". Just brilliant! :D

• TNY78
    11 years ago

ooooh so many beauties! Your About Face looks so different than mine...it must be our climates. I kinda like yours better LOL!

I bought Ann Henderson last fall bareroot and she never broke dormency this spring (my only loss of 12 that I planted in the fall). Denver's Dream didn't make it out of its tiny little 1/2 band from Heirloom fast enough and I lost it too :(

Really Really like both Paradises! Do they do ok for you in the winter, or are they potted?

Tammy

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, both Paradises are grafted and I did nothing to them over the winter. The grafts are buried about 2 inches below the soil; I don't sink them very deep. They are both planted in the backyard, out in the open, where they are less protected than the roses up against the house. I am very impressed with both!

About Face is very unique; I've never seen another rose that has short and stout petals with little points on each. I swear it closes up more in the evening and opens back up the next morning as solar heat reaches it. The key to taking those odd, haunting photos of her is to place the sun at your back so that the petals are backlit, and angle the shot so that you're capturing a majority of the outside of the petals instead of looking at the stamens. It brings out the pink shading, the veining, and the contrast between the petal's tops and reverses.

Serena,
    Get thee to a nursery & replace your Gemini. I agree about it & Folklore nearing perfection in form. We were just outside last night swooning over the sprials on Folklore. And the scent! Oh my! For me, Gemini has always had scent. Not overpowering, but it's certainly there.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I may have to try one of the Paradises next spring. I was just afraid of how they do in the cold, but you're in a colder zone than me, so they may do fine :)