Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some companions

Posted by veilchen 5b southern Maine (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 9:54

As you can see I'm a sucker for the color blue. I have collected some special Siberian irises that begin blooming just a bit earlier than the roses, but often share part of the interlude with roses that open early:

Harpswell Haze

Photobucket
'Harpswell Haze'

Photobucket
'Circle Round' and tall bearded iris

Fantin Latour
'Harpswell Haze' with Fantin Latour

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some companions

Your irises are beautiful!!

o

I want to paint my bedroom the color of your irises. So dreamy and gentle. They are captivating to be sure.

o

I found that I didn't like Siberian irises - too short, small blooms, etc. But yours ARE different - I would get those in a heartbeat!!! What are they called?

Carol

o

I love irises! Yours are so pretty and sooo blue.

o

Carol, these are really different. I have some "common" S. iris in my garden as well, the usual purple or white ones, and the flowers on my Maine iris are about 3x as big as the others. These also get quite tall as well, they still make quite a statement in the garden after they're done blooming, sort of like an ornamental grass. Foliage holds up beautifully til fall.

My favorites are the ones bred by Dr. Currier McEwan who had a nursery in Harpswell, Maine. He passed away a few years ago at 101, still crossing Siberian and Japanese irises. His cultivars are sold up in Harpswell and at Fieldstone Gardens in ME. Google Fieldstone Gardens, they have a good collection and do mail order. The ones pictured are Harpswell Haze and Circle Round. There are many other nice ones.

o

Your Siberian Iris are just stunning. I just bought some Sibs myself this spring and one of the places I ordered from was Fieldstone Gardens. They send great plants.

o

Wow, spectacular iris pics.

o

Wo ho ho! My eyeballs went out and back like some cartoon character when I saw that first picture! I'm not sure I saw the rest after that!

Seriously - bee-yoo-tiful. Nuff said.

Lynn

o

I don't think Siberian Iris will grow too well here. At least I've never seen any grown around this area.
Your are very impressive!

Randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here