Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

OT 4KG.........the BBQ and Other Garden Misc.

boxofrox
12 years ago

When I BBQ Copper River Sockeye Salmon, I always have a lot of time on my hands so last night I spent it with my trusty little digital :-) Be forewarned, there's lots of Off Topic non rosie pics but I'll start with a Scent from Above I found hidden behind the chestnut tree where only the neighbor could see thus the unpruned winter damage ;-)

{{gwi:1243433}}

Copper River Sockeye filet with my secret recipe marinade

{{gwi:1243434}}

{{gwi:1243435}}

BBQ with swivel tractor seat grill master chair :-)

{{gwi:1243436}}

Dinner Bell....number of gongs tells momma how many minutes she has to get her inside stuff ready.

{{gwi:1243437}}

Hansa

{{gwi:1243438}}

{{gwi:1243439}}

{{gwi:1243440}}

MirrorMirror

{{gwi:1243441}}

Gibraltar

{{gwi:1243442}}

Sambucus Black Beauty

{{gwi:1243443}}

Rinnie the Pooh

{{gwi:1243444}}

Fish On

{{gwi:1243445}}

White Rain

{{gwi:1243447}}

Honeysuckle

{{gwi:1243449}}

Flaming Silver

PussPuss flirting

Lyda Rose

Clematis

Comments (19)

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

Great photos! I love Puss Puss and Rinnie! Cuties! Ya know, I got one of those Black Beauty Sambucas a few yrs ago. I don't know where the heck I planted it. It must've died. I got it cuz my mom and dad used to love elderberries when they lived in PA. When we first moved here in the mid 70s, I went out with some friends and picked wild elderberries in Bidwell Park. Mom made elderberry pies. I got BB more for onamental purposes tho because I love the way the blossoms look. I wonder what the heck happened to it?!!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

So much beauty!!

I love getting a wee look at your life by how you BBQ.

That White RAin looks spectacular!!! I imagine it smells heavenly.

Love the shots of your pets - especially the close up of Rinnie. How cute!!

I'm confused - is the last pink rose Mirror Mirror (or is that the photo below) or is it Hansa? It can't be Hansa can it. Looks too hybrid tea like. I really like that last pink rose - gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing!!

Carol

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

A lovely garden setting for a barbecue, very nice pics. I like the bell.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Awww, thanks Boxo, 4 KG! But yikes, I just was 2 hours late???? I can't see the photos....I checked the time-stamp and my time! I'm gonna kick my own as* or get Eluane to chomp on my butt and fling me like a frisbee across the lawn for not arriving soon enough!!!! Stalker is goin' crazy because she is getting old...and ain't the whirlin' dervish that she used to be! I'm losin' my edge already!!! Gaaaaah!!!!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry girl, I loaded them to photobucket, posted them here and then moved them all into their own subgroups within my PB. I will go and repost them in their proper order w/o the commentary. You know it wasn't intentional ;-)

Scent from Above

Hansa

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

And is expressing her utmost disappointment. She did want to see Rinnie, and she would have ran to the salmon grill too! She is very much a princess and won't ever touch food uninvited. I can leave a plate on the floor and at eye-level on the couch, and she won't snarf it unlike many dogs. But she always recognizes the special smell of something ultra delectable and ultra gourmet. Even while I'm chopping herbs she'll know that something special is brewing even before I bring out the meat, and she would have honed in on even that secret recipe sauce of yours!!!! Boxo if you ever get a wonderful pork filet going too, the terrible secret is that I would have to hide behind one of your gorgeous fat Austin bushes, so that no one can see me gnawing away at the bone like a Mama Wolf to get the cartilage out to feed to the little E...I've done that to chicken as well, gnawing and twisting out cartilege like a Viking Barbarian, lol! Man, I better shut up before I scare away all the folks here, lol! Eluane always gets freshly baked free-range, organic chicken too for her agility competitions and puppy school training but for your barbecue, she'd only get the smoked drippings, lol! Poor girly would get none of that salmon because it'd be in my tummy every last scrap, and the bones picked clean off! But I can promise that even those drippings, Eluane would be in puppy heaven with that, lol!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

lol, hurrray!!! I was so busy whining and howling about my tardy lateness in seeing your post, I didn't get to see the pics because I was rolling on the floor like the Kitty except I wasn't having a fun roll, but being a Drama Queen when I am too late at catching your threads.

What a fun surprise to have Scent From Above hiding behind the grill...Hansa and the Clematis are looking so beautiful with all that light and shade. Oh, the Grill, the Dinner bell!!! I'm ready to FEAST!!!! So delicious, the salmon's got the perfect Smoke and grill marks to it. And yes, always the Perpetual Designer, Boxo. You even have a fish motif in the grill holder! I had to smile at all the thought behind it- Gourmet cooking to a tee! The View from the alcove is breathtaking. You also have the most astounding honeysuckles too. Their coloration is always so lovely. I am truly enjoying the image of the stone fish swimming amongst the "waves" of fern and the cascading drapery of White Rain!

Magnificent garden and DDG to the MAX, Boxo!!!! Stalker is ultra happy and STOKED!!!!

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Great garden shots! I love them all. But, I don't think I ever got hungry looking at the rose gallery before. Mmmm--wish I ws invited to dinner!
    K

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, the MirrorMirror is the shot from my sunroom into the mirror and out toward the pond :-)

kathy, if you come, I will cook it ;-)

beth, I chose it for that dark foliage. I love to site dark purplish foliage with lime green. The BB is underplanted with Kaleidoscope abelia.

krista, the bell was a gift from my wife and she smiles every time I ding it ;-)

KG, You don't have to be having a bad day for me to post to you...... all you have to do is appreciate. Afterall, a garden is a terrible thing to waste by not sharing ;-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

YUM YUMMERS... lol
    Great garden pics Boxofrox!
    Love the dog & cat pics too...

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

hehe, Boxo, everyone just Loooves your Bounty of Joy you bring Each and Every Time- Joy, Joy, Joy!!!!! All cloudy, baaad days turn to SHEER SUNSHINE whenever you post!!! Hip, hip hooooray! Hip, hip Hoooooooray!

Eluane is also doing a happy Dance Finally! now that she gets to see Rinnie! Rinnie also has the most thoughtful, peace-filled expression. She reminds me of a Zen master, Zen Master of the Garden, lol!

Boxo what is that absolutely enchanting flowered cluster the plum-pink purples "crowning" Rinnie (right above her)? It reminds me of your Sedum (I did tell you that I bought one for my garden a few threads back). That cluster looks so gorgeous with the orange azaleas...Are they planted alongside each other? If so, they look fabulous together!

• ramblinrosez7b
    12 years ago

I love love love Salmon! But it is very hard to get wild salmon here only farm raised. Every once in a while you get lucky and our local seafood market gets it in.
    Your pics are great, especially the one of your cat....adorable pose....hehehe they make us melt when they do that.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We love the Copper River salmon both King and Sockeye although the latter is much better. It comes once a year from Alaska and we try and buy enough to last the summer. The cat is a stray who came for the garden and then stayed. She has been here for 3 years now. She only comes in at night to stretch out on my wife's lap and watch TV for a couple of hours. She's the best kind of cat who doesn't deposit that wretched almond rocha inside in a box that you have to pretend doesn't have a disgusting aroma ;-)

KG, the blooms were elderberry and it's over by the swing. I think I only have one pic of it left after the crash.....

Which of my sedums did you buy ? I have quite a few ;-)

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Boxo, what crash??? The elderberry still looks magnificent even though it's over the so-called "peak bloom period"... I love the shape of the foliage too!!!!

Boxo, lol, if Kitty makes the perfect guest, you should see what a great dog Eluane is...Eluane is way too polite, too modest-shy to go to the bathroom in someone else's yard, and extremely well mannered, unlike the clueless labrador. But at least labradors are sweet and loyal, hehe, they just don't make terrible garden dogs and their tails and teeth are extremely destructive, lol! and their paws and "crashing bodies" leave indentations everywhere.

Boxo, I always sigh with such contentment whenever I see your garden. Your garden would be the perfect Birthday shoot for my little Princess E. I'd be able to take soooo many beautiful garden photos of her on her birthday and never have the torturous searching and searching of places to take her on her birthday. Usually I have to drive her all the way to a lovely Catholic church to get a better photo, and the Kansas City urban gardens are absolutely no comparison to your lovely Paradise.

And Eluane needs a gentle playmate like Rinnie. She loves dogs like Rinnie, and she is exceptionally sweet and loves little babies and children. Toddlers love bonking poor Eluane with the frisbee. They try to play with her and end up throwing the frisbee in her face and little E will still wag her tail and bring the frisbee to them, haha! What a sweet masochist!

I am also looking forward to more Rinnie piccies!

Ugh, Boxo, yes, my lumpy stupido ways lost the tag to my Sedum. The sedum I have is definitely a Stonecrop sedum, but I chose a rose-pink shade. It is not a mauve violet shade sedum. I fear getting the mauve violet because the carpenter bees are absolutely crazy about mauve violet so I stayed far away from that shade of color. It is also not a pale pink sedum either or else it would compound my problem of having way too many pinks on my pink-overloaded garden, lol! I just remember mine as being a deeper rose color...

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Well the roses are beautiful, the flowers are lovely, the cat is adorable...but I want the fish! Both the salmon and the stone one! I collect fish things. Where did you get it?

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Crash as in hard drive where all my pics were. The only ones I had left were the ones on photobucket.

I have tons of sedum. I have Dragon's Blood which is a red flowering groundcover and White Diamond which is also flat. You might have gotten one of the Autumns....Autumn Joy or Autumn Charm (the variegated one) or Suzie.

Suzie is my personal fave,this one is in front of the Abes............

This wasa the one you loved for the bees :-)

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found it a few years back at a garden statuary yard. The pup weighs about 300 lbs.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Yes, Boxo! You got my Sedum's name to a tee, hehe!!!! It is indeed Autumn Joy!!! And what a thrill to see so many honeybees on it! They are looking GORGEOUS!!! Hey did you know that the honeybees you've got are either the Italian honeybee or the Cordovan-Italian hybrid? Lol, yeah, I'm starting to learn about the honeybees. Had to get some information about honeybees and I've learned tons about them from actual beekeepers who raise them as a profession. I also found out that the young bees that are "grey" are actually juvenile bees that may have been forced out of their hive early to help get food for a hive that is under stress. There are a couple of honeybee breeds like Carniolan and the Russian honeybee as well as the feral (wild) honeybee.

I love honeybees and bumblebees, they are adorable!!!! And thanks to you, my garden will keep improving in bringing more bees into my garden! Hurrraaaaaaaaay!

I love the blanket of other sedums too! I do remember looking at Dragon's Blood and being very interested in that, except I learned that honeybees cannot see "red" so I decided against the Dragon's Blood. Didn't know the name of that sedum until you mentioned the name and it stirred up my aging brain, hehe! I do love that color as well and it must look equally beautiful in your garden.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Serena - I'm exactly the same with meat on bones. I get every scrap off and have meat juice all over my face. It's quite embarrasing for my family - but it's so delicious - and I can't seem to help myself! LOL

Carol