Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

A Morning Walk In The Garden, Part II

Aha, worked this time, so lets continue the stroll. Perhaps some rose shots in this part of the walk.

Rosa Geoff Hamilton and a Spanish Fox Glove which is hardier and more long lived than Digitalus Purpurea

{{gwi:248933}}

Another image of the bed in the front yard.

{{gwi:252528}}

Rosa "Charles Darwin"

Mixed Delphiniums, I love my Delphiniums, this is a mix of Pacific Giant Hybrids and Elatum, New Millenium varieties.

{{gwi:280769}}

Rosa "Jayne Austin"

{{gwi:287572}}

Along the South side of the house, looking to the back yard.

{{gwi:226016}}

Rosa "Bredon"

Rosa "Break O'Day", a Brownell variety, I really like the Brownell Hybrids in my climate, I now have five varieties.

Rosa "Prairie Harvest" a Buck variety. I have quite a few Bucks, interestingly most of them have finished their first flush.

{{gwi:307638}}

Rosa "The Pilgrim" one of my two or three all time favorite roses, tender here, but worth the effort, the up side is he stays a small shrub of 35cm (18 inches), or so in this climate.

And a final shot of Sam. Thank you for sharing our walk in the garden. Happy Fathers day to all the garden web fellows out there.

Cheers,

Rideau Rose Lad - aka Rick

Comments (12)

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Rick, your, and your wife's garden is beautiful. You two have created such a peaceful, wonderful oasis in this hectic world. It was sooooo relaxing relaxing joining you and Sam for this vicarious Father's Day stroll. Thanks so much for asking. And Happy Fathers day to all the garden web fellows. :)

Debbie

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Verrrry nice, and welcome to the Rose Gallery Rick! I love your delphiniums and gorgeous companion plants. I too especially love the Brownell hybrid teas you have and the Buck Prairie rose. Eluane says hi, to your doggy and blessings to him! He seems to be a very gentle great dog!

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! Your 2nd picture is everything I would like my garden to be!! Unfortunately due to rocks/trees/gravelled beds that drain into concrete sewers, etc. I just can't get the roses into the ground. So I've got tons of ugly pots everywhere and shallow beds for perennials in a few areas. What I would give to have that in my yard!!!!!

Of course your roses are beautiful too! I especially like Bredon and Jayne Austin!!

Lovely!!

Carol

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I like how G Hamilton blooms are those perfectly round little cups.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

All your pictures are nice. Bredon looks good and is not frequently posted here. The delphiniums look happy. They will not survive well here at all; it is too hot in summer. Thanks for sharing.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Bredon is especially gorgeous to me.

Are those Veronicas in your lovely front bed?

• lesmc
    13 years ago

You have a very lovely garden. I especially loved Bredon. I am not familiar with this rose. I LOVED Sam and his beautiful smile!!! Thanks for posting...Lesley

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your comments.

Iris Gal, yes those are Veronicas, the viarieties are "Blue Hill" and "Snow Hill". I believe they were bred in Germany and the German varietal names are "Blau Hugel" and "Snee Hugel". They are lovely, fragrant and can get huge. They also self seed, so once you grow them for a couple of years, you will have many, many new plants to transplant.

With respect to the comments on Bredon, it is an early Austin that does very well for me here. It is small, approximately 16 inches in zone 4b, blooms well and would likely be good in a pot. The plant habit and rebloom is quite similar to Tamora which I do grow in a pot.

Cheers, Rick

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Rick, your roses and garden are wonderfully nice. I really like Geoff Hamilton best of this group. Thanks for sharing!

Juliet

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Thank you for the names of the Veronicas! Snee Hugel looks like a very clean white. Nice upright growth.

Thanks for information on Bredon's growth. Sounds perfect for small gardens (mine).

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Iris gal, I must appologize. I made a mistake, and just realized it. The plants you asked about are not Veronicas, they are Salvias. Same general shape and colour, different plants.

Sorry for the misinformaton.

Rick

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your garden is lovely---

Florence

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH