Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Rose/Clematis Privacy Screen

boxofrox
13 years ago

Inspite of the dismal 3 day holiday drizzle, we were able to just about complete our latest birthday project for our niece. Her and her husband's birthdays are a day apart and ever since they bought their first house, we've been doing projects for their birthdays (we have no children so none are being neglected in the process :-) Most of the new construction nowadays gives you lots of house and little yard and precious little privacy. The first year we built a long arbor for wisteria and the like to block 5 of their neighbor's windows. After building a new deck last year that elevated their recreating area and decreased their privacy by a couple of feet, we decided to build a privacy screen/trellis that wrapped around the corner. At the end of last year, we set the posts, did the rough framing and planted a couple of climbers. This w/e, short of a little staining, we finished them off. Here's a few shots from various angles...............

First years project now covered with Amethyst Falls wisteria

New

Comments (14)

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Um, can you adopt me too? :-)

Outstanding workmanship!!!

Your niece is one lucky girl!

Take care,

Audrey

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Beautifully done, and how nice of you to do this for them. It will be gorgeous when it's covered with plants.

Ingrid

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Wow!! Incredible workmanship!! They are so lucky to have such a talented uncle!! Probably gave you a lot of satisfaction as well.

Well done!!

Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

What ingenious designs and layouts--tactfully shutting out the neighbors' prying eyes with beautiful well-placed structures. They will be gorgeous when the plants grow and bloom. Please post more pics then so we can enjoy and admire the final outcome.

Kate

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all :-)

The plan calls for the two Cecile Brunners to be accompanied with two carmine/magenta clematis on the one section and the other section gets two purple clematis with a Dream Weaver (pink) and a Royal Sunset (peach). Should be function and form in one fell swoop when they's all growed up ;-)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

You sure do great work. It is really beautiful. It should be stunning after being planted.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Rita, I'm just one of those 'necessity's a mutha' kinds who tries to design functional forms ;-)

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

beautiful construction----

Florence

• lovemysheltie
    13 years ago

WOW! Phenomenal. And please adopt me :D I'll be the bestest niece ever! ;-D

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Excellent. Win win all around.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Normally I would have a tendency to be more accomodating but two spoiled rotten little brat nieces are about as much as I can afford at this point in time ;-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Ohhh that is nice Boxofrox! Be sure to take lots of pics in the future.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Wow, I am so impressed Boxo! What a lovely place your niece's garden will be! I just love the color of the wood/staining and the trellis will be heavenly with the clematis and roses! Now all I have to do is sit back and watch that Royal Sunset do its blooming magic, hehe! I've got my Royal Sunset, but it ain't doing a thing now except for steadily growing. A nice healthy own root, but it's still way too young to be "mass-producing, lol!" and I have yet to see a bud on it! (crossing my fingers that I won't have to wait all the way until July, haha!)

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

If you are still deciding on a carmine/magenta clem I would recommend Voluceau.

Your workmanship is outstanding!