Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

June blooms

flaurabunda
12 years ago

Here's a few of the best of my pics so far.

About Face:

Cinnamon Girl:

Cinnamon Girl:

Dark Night/Eddy Mitchell/Garden Director Bartje Miller:

First and Foremost (always looks radioactive):

Hot Cocoa:

Irresistible:

Love:

Love, whole bush:

Paradise:

Voodoo, top of the monster shrub:

World War II Memorial:

Comments (15)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    12 years ago

What a perfect picture of Hot Cocoa! The form and color are just to die for (SO glad I planted that one a few weeks ago!). Voodoo sure looks nice and healthy also. Can you tell I like orange? lol

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Oooo, I am crazy about reversed petal roses! Wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

These are all beautiful, Flaura! You and I seem to have the same taste in roses. I have a lot of these too! But I think I need that radioactive First and Foremost!

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Great photos--interesting rose colors. My camera never does Hot Cocoa as well as yours did. I really like the Dark Night one. Did you breed it?
    K

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh heck no----I haven't dabbled into breeding at all. Dark Night is a new rose that I purchased from Edmunds this year.

I've found that I get the truest color by setting my exposure to negative 1 and snapping pics when it's really, really cloudy outside. Given the inordinate number of cloudy days we've had, that hasn't been a problem.

Seil, I'm pretty pleased with First and Foremost. It's more disease resistant than it's neighbors - Renegade and Tabasco Cat - and the flowers really last when cut. They have a very beautiful fade indoors, in a bouquet. Outside, they tend to wash out to white by about the 3rd day. All in all, not too bad. The blooms are just slightly smaller than Hot Cocoa. It's one of those minifloras that could probably be a Floribunda in another life. It has fewer petals than most FL's and a bit of a looser form.

That shot of Hot Cocoa is one of the few where I've seen it spiral in perfect form. It's usually loose & "blousy", as I call it, but still gorgeous. Those will the the only shots of her this year with that deep russet color. The next flush & the rest of them will most likely be deep orange.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Wow, I love those vibrant colors, great pics.

• damascena
    12 years ago

Hey, Flaura, I am usually more of an antique rose buff, but wandered over and found your pictures. Very pretty,and nice camera-ship (huh?). I definitely love the colour of that hot cocoa especially!

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, Krista & Damascena!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Wow!!!

That's the nicest bloom of About Face I've ever seen. Mine died over winter, and I won't replace it because it just didn't bloom - only about 2 blooms. What do you think of yours? Truly a spectacular bloom!!

I love your Paradise (mine lived over winter yeah!!) It's one of my favorite roses. Your bloom is very bright and very beautiful. Love, love it!!!

Dark Night is one of the strangest blooms I've ever seen. Looks so Goth. Truly beautiful. Is that an older bloom?

I usually steer clear of the white backed roses - but you're turning me into a believer with your Love rose and Cinnamon rose. Your first picture of Love is absolutely incredible. Wow!

I agree with everyone about your Hot Cocoa. Amazing color!!

Thanks for sharing with us. Really, really beautiful.

Carol

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Carol!
    Yes, the white-reverse roses are the most spectacular of the new ones I bought this year. I'm very, very impressed.

Dark Night does truly look Goth to me as well. That was a brand new bloom; it has a weird petal/bloom structure unlike anything else I have. It looks like crumpled newspaper and it's really tough to photograph.

My About Face is a new band-sized plant from Northland that was just put in the ground this April. She's a little wispy right now, but has already produced 2 blooms. I put her deep in the ground so that she wouldn't blow over. Winds have been ridiculous here all spring. Gotta say that I never expected such large, perfect blooms on a baby band like that. I hadn't fertilized or anything.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Great pics Floribunda!

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Incredible capture of Hot Cocoa!!! Thank you.

• davemidohio
    12 years ago

Very nice pics, Flaura, and like others, I am jumping on that Hot Cocoa. What great color. My HC didn't look promising this spring, so went to a better life! I have looked at Love many times but never gotten one. I think I need to reconsider again. I love the form on it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Dave

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I'd pondered Love for a while, and after visiting the Chicago Botanical Gardens last year, we saw a huge planting of them. It was late fall and they were gorgeous! We visited again on Saturday, and we were able to see from the smaller, pruned versions of Love that the planting was approximately 20 rose bushes. Knowing that it survives in Chicago and looks that fabulous for the whole season, we knew it would be a great rose for us a little farther south, since my main concern is hardiness.

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Great roses and photos flaurabunda! World War II Memorial is totally stunning. I just love this pale pinkish-gray color. I need to get this rose for myself in the future.

Thanks for posting!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams