Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

HFD Slide Show

boxofrox
11 years ago

They say that a picture says a thousand words........well here's a mouthful for all the fathers out there. This is what I browsed through to decide what to cut to honor mine....both past and present..............

Comments (16)

• KingsRose
    11 years ago

beautilful

• KingsRose
    11 years ago

*beautiful

• centifolia
    11 years ago

Everything is beautiful. I especially like the blue vining plant. Is it a campanula?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely--but I'm so disappointed that you did not include their names. I so want to know who they are.

Kate

• paulacummings
    11 years ago

ditto perhaps a list of their names in order would be really a relief! These photographs remind me of another version of my garden. Absolutely luscious! Wish we could transport their fragrance too.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks one and all and HFD :-)

Yes, the campanula is 'Blue Waterfall'

OK Kate, You asked for it...............

1st booket:

The Dark Lady, LD Braithwaite, Lyda Rose, Abraham Darby, Livin Easy, Easy Goin, Queen Elizabeth, Joseph's Coat, Hansa, Chicago Peace, and Sorbet peony.

2nd booket: Most of the same with the addition of Intrigue and Scent from Above.

Roses :1-4) Abraham Darby

5,6) clems

7) Blue Waterfall campanula

8) bed with Westerland/Hansa and others

9) Westerland

1. Ginger Sylabub

2. Royal Gold

3. Lyda Rose

4. The Dark Lady

5. Darlow's Enigma

6. Blaze of Glory

16-18) Easy Goin

The last four are reds I transplanted into my AD bed from my neighbor's driveway. His wife said they had to go because when she got home and went to unload the carseat, they bit her. They make great company for Abe :-)

Here's a few pics from today......I am not a father and all my father's are gone so............

Chicago Peace

My two fathers at the same cemetery

Our father's day project on the upper deck from a $5 garage sale purchase

Lillies

• Zyperiris
    11 years ago

Hi Boxo! I can't get my Clematis to do much. What is your secret?

• inga007
    11 years ago

......They say that a picture says a thousand words....

It did it for me, thanks for sharing your "wealth"

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

How did I miss this thread? Gee Boxo everything looks great!
    The FD bouquets are awesome! Happy belated fathers day Boxo...

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

So GORGEOUS Boxo! so sorry to have missed out on this thread! I was ultra busy cooking on Father's Day some delicious gourmet dinner....

Ingredients:
    First course was a layer of sweet corn as the base, and the middle section was Japanese rice with finely chopped Portebella mushrooms, salted with Sel de Gris, buttery specialty Castelvetrano olives topped with a layer of crushed Sicilian Tomato and Asiago chips as the "panko" crust. I used homegrown oregano and coriander as the seasonings. Then 2nd course was shrimp with a touch of sesame oil, butter, garlic, shallots, bourbon, coriander, a little bit of red pepper. Then the main course was the Steelhead trout filet with grapeseed oil, garlic, shallots, and homegrown lavender, and I covered the trout with strips of Angus beef with Halverti cheese and surrounded with more baby portabella mushrooms and shitake mushrooms. I'm still bragging on my gourmet cooking :O simply because I'm a better gourmet food person than I am with a successful garden, haha! Or hmmmm, maybe it's the danged thrips that consider my lopsided garden the Gourmet feast, lol!

Anyway, your Garden is One Sumptuous Gourmet Feasting for all Human Rose Experts, not just for Lumpy Ultra-Enthusiastic KG, lol! The Royal Crown of Roses is your AD and (gasp) the new Chicago Peace for sure, just breathtaking, both! To me the new 4 reds are a fantastic replacement for your Lincoln and Okie, but any idea what they could be? Love their form! Do they have strong fragrance, just curious? My Okie Climber has slunk back into being a Stingy rebloomer again, haha! It seems to be able to only bloom once every 2 months. Both your Angel Fathers are smiling in Heaven with the Heavenly Bouquets! I love the Clems, Royal Gold and Easy Goin- captivating! and wow such huge, magnificent Blooming!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yo KG, I picked up everything on that menu you just laid down with the exception of the shrooms, I just can't get there from here.....no fungal fever for moi ;-)

OMGoodness, my wife is dumbstruck by the new CP. I put it in a pot between the upper deck and the BBQ so you can see it from the dining room table and it's stunning even in this hideous rain. Not sure what the reds are, just know what they are not and that is fragrant. Today or tomorrow, I'm going to do a small bouquet with just the reds and CP and maybe a QE or two. I'll click a pic :-)

Hey Jim, thanks and back at ya.

inga, you are more than welcome, it wouldn't be prudent not to share :-)

zyp, clems can be tuff. They love food, they love water, they love full sun except for shade at the base and they are like almost all vines and climbers........years 1,2,3 are small, crawl and then sprawl ;-)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You always put together such beautiful bouquets, boxo! I love your project too!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks seil :-)

The project started out with the intent to kind of do a sideboard/buffet for dinner on the deck so we could just pass the food through. Then we started the deductive logic process as in dishes and the like stored outside would have to be cleaned before serving and it therefore kind of evolved into more of a deco piece. I had the copper stuff because I was going to make a custom rain chain out of it at one time so...........:-)

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

Lol, Boxo, on the "fungus", but at least we both share copper fever! as I remember telling you, COPPER IS MY FAVORITE COLOR!!! Everyone else says blue, green, purple, etc. etc. Me, I shout Copper is Platinum in my eyes, haha! And yes, I remember your delicious Sockeye Salmon with some beautiful copper dish as the ultra fancy plating too! But ugh, me poor brain is degenerating in other areas! I forgot to say what a joy it is seeing both Darlow's Enigma make its emergence too! and hey, Methinks that white rose is New Dawn??? it wasn't in the list. But again, PERFECTION in my eyes too. So 2 whites I forgot to mention and ugh, forgetting to say that the copper project rocks, too, lol!

Hehe, Zyperiris, Monster Kansas Rabbits loooove to destroy baby clems and baby roses too. That's another characteristic they share besides the 1,2,3: small, crawl and then sprawl that Boxo mentions.

Boxo, OOOOOoooo, I can't wait for more Chicago Peace blooms...Your expert care makes them so perfect and jaw-dropping and breathtaking! In Kansas nurseries, Chicago Peace and Peace are very cute, pouffy and ruffly, cheery and they do not!!! have the gorgeous-ness of yours! I feel like I'm in Emerald City when I look at your Chicago Peace, :D!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

Nice pictures! Thanks for the look. The Chicago Peace is particularly nice.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love your Ginger Syllabub. All of your flowers are beautiful.
    Renee