Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Mostly English Roses

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

Please take a look at my pictures I took recently.

The Endeavour was struggling for three years in a poor spot, it's got moved to the new flower bed this spring and voila! It is shining like a star.

{{gwi:1205391}}

Never fails to amaze me Golden Celebration

{{gwi:1198787}}

{{gwi:1244397}}

Finally got a good plant of Summer Song (I had three in my garden and none of them was performing). With this one I am very happy

{{gwi:1205886}}

Proud Bride is a sport of Charles Austin

{{gwi:1201400}}

Leander

{{gwi:1244398}}

Carding Mill is bountiful

{{gwi:1244399}}

Lady of Shalott is gleaming

{{gwi:1199237}}

Sometimes it treats me with huge trusses of blooms

{{gwi:1199235}}

Ascot

{{gwi:1244401}}

A friend of mine shared a cutting of Soeur Emmanuelle with me. The rose is out of this world - beautiful and fragrant

{{gwi:1201070}}

Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg

{{gwi:1244404}}

Thank you for looking.

Marina

Comments (23)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

What lovely pictures! It's really nice to see some of the less common Austins or non-Austins for that matter. Beautiful roses, all.

• inga007
    11 years ago

Thank you, for sharing your lovely rose photos, with the very apt comments.
    I will enjoy this all while viewing my slide show.

• msjam2
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing!! I love them all, the only one that I have in this bunch is Golden Celebration. I am intrigued with Astrid and Ascot.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for your comments. So far, I am really pleased with this season's blooms. Wish we had more rain here, but...
    Msjam2, Astrid and Ascot are two nice roses, may be not the prettiest bushes in the world, but the blooms are awesome. Don't recall if Ascot has any fragrance, but Astrid is one of the strongest fragrant roses. Wait till it cools down here, you will see the most beautiful darkest red velvety flowers. Disease resistance is above the average without ANY spraying.
    Marina

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Really really nice Marina! I wasn't familiar with Summer Song and the Endeavor, but they have great color; kind of remind me of Jubilee Celebration with their salmon coloring.

Also, Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg has that deep deep red that I love!

Tammy

• Longfei Yu
    11 years ago

awesome, awesome, and awesome.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Tammy and Freelong!
    Tammy, if you decide to get yourself Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg, make sure to plant her in a protected from the hottest sun spot - it will definitely benefit from that. If exposed too much to the hot afternoon sun, the blooms might burn and brown on edges.
    I have been hunting The Endeavour for a long time - it used to be available only in Australia. I've obtained mine the first year she's been offered for sale here. Initially planted it in a very poor location, and now I am so glad I didn't give up on this rose! Lots of beautiful blooms with changing colors.
    With Summer Song there is another story. I also marveled at this rose since she's been introduced in the UK. Finally, it became available from Canada - Pickering and Palatine. Sequentially I bought three plants of her from both vendors, but was really disappointed with their performance - weak growth, decent spring blooms always turned to almost micro-mini size later in the season.
    So far, my fourth Summer Song is in it's second flush and the flowers are abundant and large in size. They have a very pleasing fragrance and almost every bloom has a cute button eye in the center.

Here are couple of photos of Summer Song I took this Spring.

{{gwi:1244406}}

{{gwi:1244408}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

Very nice pictures! Of the ones you are showing, I have The Endeavor, Carding Mill, Lady of Shalott, and Summer Song. This is the third year for my Summer Songs, and they have been doing somewhat better this year. Now that the heat has arrived, I can only wonder how they will fare this year. Again, excellent picture quality. What kind of camera are you using?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Astrid stole my heart! Wow.
    Renee

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

Your Summer Song looks fabulous! Does SS repeat well for you, and did you noticed any strange pattern on the leaves?
    By the way, what lens did you use to take those close-up photos?

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Bustopher, Renee and JumboJimmy!
    Jimmy, I can not report on SS' repeat yet. My 'old' three plants have been awful in this regard and my new plant is in it's first year only. What do you mean 'strange pattern on the leaves"? No, I didn't see anything unusual on mine.

As for the lens, I use Nikkor AF Micro 60mm 1:2.8D (whatever this means). A few years ago I made a research on macro lenses for my Nikon D90 and liked this one the best. People were saying that with this lens one can take wonderful close-ups as well as portraits, landscapes etc.

I am a photography dummy, I shoot in an AUTO mode. This is by far my favorite lens and I use it all the time.

Bustopher, my camera is Nikon D90, older model but super great!

Marina

• msjam2
    11 years ago

Where did you get your 4th SS then?

I want this rose!!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MsJam2, I've got the last one from Palatine last November. I could be wrong, but I think my previous SSs were just duds and this one so far looks waaaay better.
    Marina

• MaryDanielle
    11 years ago

Spectacular shots! And beautiful roses! I think I may be drooling. :D

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the extra pictures of Summer Song...really unique color! I may have to look into them for spring! They are different colors than so many other Austins :)

Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

They are all lovely, but I have a special fondness for Lady of Shalott. Mine is new, so I don't get those cluster blooms, much less several cluster blooms, yet. Am really enjoying yours.

Kate

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Just checking back to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
    Renee

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

GORGEOUS PHOTOS Marina.

Yes, the primary difference with Nikon's and advanced Canon's is that Nikon's are far more forgiving Bustopher. I can always tell a Nikon overall versus a Canon for those using the "Automatic" setting. Canons require specific settings for the most beauty....

I NEED THE MACRO LENS! I drool whenever I see Bob71's fabulous macro closeups, droool, droool, droooooool!!!!! Was sort of hoping against hope that he'd return to our gallery too.

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness---what a gorgeous collection of roses.--I want all of them----I can only imagine what gorgeous bouquets you must be enjoying in your home----

Thank you for sharing this treat.

Florence

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, such amazing beauty. I want that!!! I can't believe how gorgeous they are.

I have Charles Austin - this is its 2nd year, and my roses haven't bloomed yet. Last year the first flush was wonderful - but just a few blooms after that. I've since learned that that is quite the norm for Charles Austin. How about its sport - does it have good rebloom?

Such beauty!
    Carol

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, ladies!

Serena, I do prefer Nikon over Canon, too. As you said it so right - it is a very FORGIVING camera for those who use it as a 'point-and-shoot' :)))

Carol, my sport of Charles Austin (Proud Bride) is in its second flush now. I think it is even better and more impressive that the first one.

Marina

• serenasyh
    11 years ago

hehe, Marina even with the "Nikon automatic" having much easier color, your artistic composition and BEAUTIFUL ROSES AND BOUQUETS are top-notch and non-duplicable, lol! You can definitely tell too that mine is the lower Canon Rebel versus the dream Canon D, but at least the Rebel is wayyyyy better than most folks' cameras. The Canon D is the best but again, you really have to know how to shut out the light to get the colors and it takes tripod and the professional steadiness to get the full glory of the Canons or else its only half *ss. Whereas all my non-professional dog agility friends get Nikon Ds instead, and their agility photos have such wonderful color captures. My hands are also too unsteady and my eyesight is poor so I have to take tons of photos to pick out which photo is clear once I download to the big screen of the computer. Because my Fancy Camera is not as good as the Canon D end and lacks the Macro Lens, I will get frustatingly blurred areas if I get too close to the bloom and I have to choose between color accuracy and beauty of shadow and light contrast versus "grain".

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I think Proud Bride is much prettier than Charles Austin. My CA is a one cane wonder.

Stunning roses!
    Carol