Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

My new Pomponella blooms--finally!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

Admittedly, it was the last new rose to be planted this year, but my patience has been wearing thin waiting for Pomponella to get on with the show.

Finally, here she is, small, healthy, lots of buds, and beginning to bloom: Pomponella . Isn't she a sweetie!

Here's the whole bush--still small. Don't know how large she will get--evidently quite large in some regions, but the official catalogues list her as much smaller.

And a final view of one of her (small) pompom clusters. They are adorable!

Think I'm going to really like this one.

Kate

Comments (15)

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I knew you would love her! She's just such a unique rose and healthy as can be even here in blackspot central :)

Tammy

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Yip-eeee....finally a bloom and it`s just beautiful. Well worth the wait. Looks so green and healthy. Thanks for sharing. lesley

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Kate,

You'll fall in love with Pomponella fairy Tale as she gets more mature. She's like a larger flowered and repeating version of Raubritter.

But yes, be warned, she wants to become a rather large rose and her cane hardiness is also very good, so you may eventually need to prune her to keep her around the size you want her.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

As soon as I saw the pictures, I wanted this rose! It's a heartbreaker!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Nice blooms Kate! I also like the whole bush shot so I know what the blooms are connected too..lol

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I've always admired Tammy's and this confirms how much I like this rose. Well worth the wait!
    Susan

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate everyone rooting for my late bloomer. Sounds like Pomponella is generally liked and admired. Can't imagine her as large yet, but I guess time will tell. : )

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I am so wanting this rose!

• mlle_melanie
    10 years ago

I think I have to have this rose! It is too charming, and maybe great for my limited space garden. Keep us posted on its performance! (P.S. Any fragrance to speak of?)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Melanie, I should warn you--charming as Pompanella is, she evidently is not a smaller rose bush, at least not compared to Marina's mature one which monster-sprawls all over the place. The catalogs list Pompanella as about 3x3, but Marina's is a big but beautiful hulking bush.

Sorry, I haven't smelled my new rose--cuz my allergies are so bad that I can hardly breath. . . period! : (

She is a charmer, however, isn't she!

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I was happy to see this June post of Pomponella looking so sweet and adorable, and with everyone so positive about her attributes. I've wanted her for some time, and these charming photos bump her up higher on my mental list of must haves. Please give us end of summer updates on how she has done since these photos were taken, Kate. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK--end-of-the-season update on Pomponella.

She came close to doubling in size by fall--but sends out some rather long canes that wave at you across the garden. Not sure if that is a permanent problem (I had to trim some back) or just an indicator of how big she will grow next year as she gains another year of maturity and fills out some more. The clusters of flowers are on the tips of the canes, so I wouldn't want her getting really big and still throwing out individual longer canes--the flower clusters would be swaying high up in the blue sky!

One thing I'm not sure I like--in the flower clusters, the individual blooms that opened first tend to deteriorate into an unattractive pinkish/light brown--lots of dead-heading, in other words. But I have to do that on a couple other roses also, so . . . . Again, I'll have to see next year how she matures.

When I see her new blooms, I get all excited about her--but when I think about some of her other traits, I'm not really sure how I feel about her as a whole. Like I've said twice already, I think I need another year or two for some maturity before I can fully judge. I do know that I really want her to work out fine in my garden.

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kate, for the info on Pomponella. Most of my Austin and some Kordes roses have started exactly as you describe P, and in every case, but Sisters Fairy Tale, the rose grew out of the long floppy canes, blooming on cane ends, etc. I usually tie them up, if possible, and it doesn't worry me much. Currently, I'm having those issues with Young Lycidas and Princess Alexandra of Kent. I learned my lesson with Golden Celebration, now a big favorite. I don't mind the deadheading issue, so I think Pomponella will remain on my "want" list. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

Lynn

• kellbell5555
    7 years ago

I know this is a crazy old thread but dublinbay do you have an update as to how big pomponella has gotten for you? I'm considering adding it to my spring order but have heard conflicting info on the final size. Thanks!