Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (12)

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

RITA.They are all soo beautiful,So Healthy and Vibrant looking.Do you dead head the old blooms.?In your 5th picture, what is the Lavender one, well,it looks Lavender or light purple.Its really pretty.wow,If I was your neighbor,I would be asking permission to walk in your garden every day to smell all them gorgeous roses.They are all just gorgeous.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No I don't headhead until the entire cluster is done and then I just cut the entire thing. That is why I take so many pictures now, before they drop petals and while they look so perfect.

When they are all done, I cut everything back and I get a second flush at the begining of August.

That is Midnight Blue. Kay saw it year before last and had to have it so bought it for her garden too. The color is wonderful and purple when it first opens. Small flowers but very pretty.

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

WOW-----what a wonderful collection of roses----Great Pictures

Florence

• burwoodbelle
    12 years ago

Rita, Thanks for the link to your Roses I just(LOVE) them ALL.Please post pictures of them everyday,because mine are not much to look at.
    Pat

LOVE them

• ramblinrosez7b
    12 years ago

Oh they look so great Rita! And I just love the way you have them close together like that. They are really gorgeous.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

I love the effect of having everything packed in like that. Everything looks great.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

You have quite a kaleidoscope of color there. The overall mass effect looks impressive. Thanks for posting.

• kasiec
    12 years ago

That is so beautiful. Now that is my kind of garden!! Looking forward to seeing more.

Kasie

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Rita--Those pics should be in a magazine. Great Job!!--Ron

• inga007
    12 years ago

Wow! what a lovely display of healthy, lush blooms.

• bluederby21
    12 years ago

ok I just HAVE to know about the planting the roses close together like that because I want the same affect with mass plantings. If I'm starting out with young 18 inch wide rose shrubs that will eventually grow out to 3.5 ft wide when they mature how close or far apart should I grow them?

Do you have any problems with yellowing leaves or disease with the inner foliage of the shrubs that don't get as much sunlight as the outer leaves or are they just as healthy? Do the canes from the neighboring shrubs fight with each other or do you do lots of inner pruning to prevent this?

I have a garden bed in my backyard that I've been prepping the soil the last month that is going to be 20 feet long by 8 feet in depth and I'd like to do 3 rows of 7 shrubs each but I'm worried that may be to close and I need to do 6 shrubs per row.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know were you are in 9b but looks to be far more south. Might be too hot and humid for my very close spacing.

This only works with certain roses. Others want to grow too large and wide and they don't work for me. For instance, I have very few Austins as they want to sprawl and take up too much room. Quite afew I tried are no longer here, didn't work out.

I have some HTs but mostly floribundas. I also have lots of Clements roses from Heirloom.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES