Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

My new roses in bloom--Wedgewood et al

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

I tried adding "updates" to my previous thread, but they seem to have been largely ignored : ( so I'm putting these last ones in a new thread. My apologies if one or two are repeats. Most of these were taken yesterday and today.

All my new roses are blooming--except Pompenella! But she has lots and lots of buds, so I guess we'll just have to wait for when she decides to bloom.

Wedgewood Cl. (Austin)--just opened this morning. Kind of a limp cane and bloom--but it has been raining all week and this is her first set of blooms. I think she looks quite promising.
{{gwi:217624}}

Here is Berolina fully opened. You'll remember I showed some earlier bud and half-open pics before--I have included them below so you can watch the progression (in reverse?) LOL

Here is Berolina three quarters open.
{{gwi:217610}}

Here is Berolina just beginning to open its first bloom.

The lovely Scepter'd Isle--first bloom. Bush is about 3 ft tall now. Can't wait to see her 5 ft tall and covered with those delicate blooms.
{{gwi:217621}}

And lastly, my most colorful beauty: Munstead Wood--her first four blooms.
{{gwi:215625}}

Now if everyone would shout words of encouragement to Pompenella to bloom, I'd know what all my new roses look like. So far, I like what I'm seeing!

Kate

Comments (12)

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Kate...sending "bloom" orders to Pompenella! Your garden is so lovely. I always enjoy your pictures. I must fine room for Munstead Wood, that rose speaks to me! Lesley

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

You have some nice ones there. That blue clematis is quite showy. The yellow Berolina, if you put it in a show, has to be shown under its proper show name of Selfridges. I have seen it show very well in the Pacific Northwest areas. As to the Munstead Wood, it is too pretty and too fragrant to just have one of them. I hope you will enjoy yours even more than I like mine.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Hi Kate. Everything looks great and nice clean colors. My Munstead Wood really grabed my attention when it gave me my first blooms. I will probably get 2/3 more for a BIG showing. My Scepter'd Isle came with me from Fl. when I moved up here back in 08. I took a cutting from my bush and grafted it on to fortuniana rootstock the year before the move and had it in a 3 gal pot. It is now a monster over 6' tall and 4 ' wide. I get 4 full flush's every year from it. Unbeleavable site. I've had The Wedgewood for 3 yrs now. Still long, thin stems that won't hold the blooms. It may be out by the time fall rolls around. I hope it does better for you.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Love Munstead Wood!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow! that first picture with Wedgeworth and the clematis is gorgeous. Love, love it!

They're all lovely - thanks for sharing.
    Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your nice comments about my new roses.

For the record, my new Pompenella still hasn't bloomed--though it is certainly sporting a large number of buds, about 4 of which show a trace of color. I had no idea this one was so slow getting started in the spring. Hopefully, it will make up for the wait by blooming profusely?

I can dream. : )

Kate

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Berolina looks like a nice yellow. Hope you will keep us posted as to its disease resistance. And lots more pictures.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

They are beautiful, Kate! They are really good size for being first year plants too...which nursery are they from if you don't mind my asking? I'm assuming they were bareroot...but still!

Tammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let's see--they came from different nurseries. Munstead Wood and Scepter'd Isle were bareroots from David Austin.

Berlina, Pomponella Fairy Tale, and Little Sunset were bareroot from Palatine.

Wedgewood Rose was bareroot from Regan Nursery--at least I ordered it originally from there, but I'm kinda remembering I had to change that--so I might have ended up ordering it from DA or some other place.

But something is wrong with that list--I have a distinct memory of planting a couple potted ones also--from Chamblees. Hmmm--I also ordered several replacement roses (the drought last summer got a couple of them), so maybe it was the replacement ones that were own root potted--they aren't shown in the pics here.

Yes, all roses I received this year were good-sized and very healthy. And since we had a mild winter, there were no late thaw-freeze-thaw-freeze cycles to endure--that always sets roses back on their heels. And then we had lots of spring rain which the roses have loved. In fact, this may be the best blooming year ever for all of them.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great blooms Kate! :)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

YUM! Love Wedgwood and the clematis. And Munstead Wood. Thanks for sharing.
    Anxiously awaiting Pomponella's show.
    Susan

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They're beautiful, Kate! I like that Berolina a lot!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz