{{gwi:1245120}}

{{gwi:1245121}}

{{gwi:1245122}}

{{gwi:1245123}}

{{gwi:1245124}}

Comments (66)

• bogie
    16 years ago

ALL of the adjectives that others used barely describe it - thanks for sharing the view!

• liane_z4_canada
    16 years ago

So much drool on my desk... I have to get a towel.
    Beautiful,
    Liane

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Wonderful, wonderful. Thanks for sharing all the beauty.

• kristal
    16 years ago

I am in absolute awe!!

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful comments. We started from scratch six seasons ago (see the link below) and have been adding something to it every year. We are slowly replacing all border material with brick, donated by a neighborhood masonry company.

The garden takes some extra work in the Spring, but it's set up for easy maintenance with plenty of mulch and pre-emergent to keep the weeds away. I spend a couple of evenings a week and most of the day Saturday working in it to keep it looking nice. Our neighbors sit on their lawn chairs along the fence just to look at the garden and take pictures.

msrose: the rose in picture #3 is Knockout. It's reaching five feet tall and five feet wide now. The white rose in pictures #4 and #5 is Iceberg. It gets so big that it flops all over the place. The roses look short because most of the pictures were taken from the deck, one story high. Actually, they are between five and seven feet tall, though I prune them back every year.

Here are a few more pictures I left out because the post was long:

{{gwi:1245125}}

{{gwi:1245127}}

{{gwi:1245128}}

{{gwi:1245129}}

Here is a link that might be useful: how it all begun

• aqrose
    16 years ago

So gorgeous! Congratulations on the stunning results of all your hard work. Y'all did a wonderful job! :)
    Since I live practically right down the road in Athens, I guess I cannot use my location as an excuse of why my garden looks so pathetic right now. LOL!

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Okay, fess up. How many roses do you grow in that fabulous garden?

• amywmiles
    16 years ago

YOUR GARDEN IS AWESOME!!!! I am green with envy and your pictures make me want to start another garden. So beautiful.

Amy

• sam0738
    16 years ago

Everybody should see these pictures.

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Berndoodle: At last count, there were 178... but I learned that some will root when I stick a cutting right into the ground. I have a bunch more from that. This method works for me, I don't have time or patience to propagate the right way.

• msmisk
    16 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen so much beautiful color in one place. Beautiful !

Carol

• rochesterroseman
    16 years ago

Reneyda, what are the pink roses that are shown close up in #5? LOvely!

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rochesterroseman: This is such a pretty rose... it has white silvery centers with dark raspberry edges that fade and spread bright pink as it opens. The label called it BHG Diamond Jubilee, but when I looked it up on "help me find," it didn't come up. I looked up Diamond Jubilee and it came up with a peach rose.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

reneyda, "BHG" is "Better Homes & Gardens" (the magazine) and the rose is listed on Helpmefind.com as Better Homes & Gardens Diamond Jubilee Â.

Beautiful gardens, thanks for the photos!

• msrose
    16 years ago

reneyda - I'm curious to know what type of fertilizers you use and how often you use them. You're certainly doing something right.

Laurie

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Diane NJ. I should have known that.

Msrose, I fertilize three different ways:

Twice a year I put down organics, such as a cup of Rosetone, 2 extra cups of alfalfa and a handful of dried molasses... plus miloganite, epsom salts and lime.

Once a month I throw a handful of cheap 16-4-8 (whatever I find at Home Depot).

Every three weeks I mix a half dose of bloom plus (10-52-10), liquid seaweed/fish and messenger and spray it as a foliar feed.

I used to do the alfalfa tea, but it took too much time and effort... a real chore in the heat of a Georgia Summer. They seem to be doing well without it.

Happy gardening!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

I am very impressed. I love a rose garden that is a riot of color. You have so many blooms that it would take me a month just to deadhead. A lot of work for you, but look how it is paying off.

• kasiec
    16 years ago

I am speechless...that is breath taking. Thanks for sharing.

Kasie

• carla17
    16 years ago

I had to take another look, everything is so gorgeous.

Carla

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Wow! That does not seem adequate but it is what I said five times back to back upon viewing it. Now, that's a rose garden!

• User
    16 years ago

WOW nice job!

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments. Blessings.

• paulieinct
    16 years ago

Outstanding. Your efforts have paid off bigtime. I am sure it is very gratifying to see such spectacular results. -Paul

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

I can't believe the sheer number of blooms! And how they're ALL in bloom. I take my hat off to you (although I'm not wearing one LOL).

Carol

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

Reneyda,

Would you mind telling us your top 10 performers, and what kind of rose they are (i.e. hybrid tea, floribunda, shrub rose, etc.)?

With 178 of them, I know you'll have a tough time narrowing it down! :-)

Deanna

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deanna, I have so many favorites, but my best performers are:

Fragrant Cloud (HT), with large, quite visible blooms that last a while.

Iceberg (FL) (keeps blooming all season).

Joseph's Coat (CL) (the ones in the arches. They bloom first in the season, and bring a taste for what is to come). Past its prime in these pictures.

Europeana (FL) (at the back of the first picture. It produces layers and layers of sprawling branches with a bouquet at the end). It was just getting started in this picture.

Circus (HT) (love the colors, always blooming)

Simply Irresistable (HT) (very pretty and always blooming).

Sunny Delight (HT) (bright, gorgeous and always blooming).

Frau Karl Druschki (CL) (you can see it at its best on the "how it all begun link)... the one in the center of the pathways.

Gene Boerner (FL) (this one keeps on blooming. Always clean and nice leaf color).

Medallion (HT) (huge - I mean huge - soft apricot color blooms... so big that it breaks the branches if I don't get to tie it back on time).

Knockout is always pretty (the one in the picture is in a pot, yet has grown to be five feet wide and five feet high).

Nearly Wild (FL) (I have to cut it back all the time).

Flower Carpet roses (have them in four colors) are wonderful, carefree and quite proliferous.

The unknown on picture seven (needs no spraying and it is always blooming). If anyone recognizes it, I would have 100 of those.

I honestly can't complain about any of them. I bought most of them at Walmart for $3 and $4 and a clearance at Kmart for $1.50. This entire garden was done as frugally as possible, which proves that you don't have to spend thousands to have a nice place to relax in.

It may be because I live in GA, but I can get three flushes each season (none as pretty as the first one). As long as I am willing to cut them back to three feet, fertilize and water well, they keep coming back with more blooms.

I am now experimenting with alfalfa and compost tea as a foliar feed.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

You sure have a pretty garden. Everything looks so healthy and happy. You list Messenger as something you are adding to your fertilizers. Do you notice a difference that you could ascribe specifically to that product over not using it?

• millieon
    16 years ago

Your gardens are gorgeous. That's a true labor of love for roses. On some beds there are hardly any petals on the ground, do you deadhead before they just fall off?
    Millie

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bustopher, I only started using Messenger late last season and have absolutely noticed a difference. The blooms are much larger in size and number, and the overall health of the plant is remarkably better. I add it to the foliar feed for convenience, but I often wonder if it would do better sprayed alone... besides, since I only use one envelope for the entire garden, sprayed lightly over the top, I also spray the bloom plus and the liquid fish/seaweed lightly. Seems to me like I could separate them in order to give them a bit more of the bloom plus and fish/seaweed.

Millie, I much prefer to get to a spent flower before it drops the petals, but it's difficult with the number of chores that need done in the Spring. As far as deadheading is concerned, I do it whenever I can get to it.

• niecey
    16 years ago

What a sight for sore eyes.
    Spectacular!
    Niecey

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

I'd love to use one of your pictures as my desktop photo. Your garden is my fantasy garden.
    Nancy

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Wow, what an impressive rose garden and so many colors too!
    I LOVE your bed of setcreasa- I have a few of those and it's high on my list to get more next yr. Thanks for sharing your photos! Brandy

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancy, I am honored that you would like to use my pictures for a desktop photo. Please feel free. These are pretty low quality for the web, but if you let me know which one you want and I can email it to you at a much better quality.

• Greg
    16 years ago

Wowza, wowza, wowza! That is a rose paradise! Thanks for giving us a tour of your superbly gorgeous garden.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Reneyda. I first looked at your post about a week or so ago. I kept coming back for another look, at least four times. I guess I was speechless each time, as I knew I was going to come back and finally put in a response. What an absolutely beautiful rose garden. Showed my husband and he knows how much has gone into your amazing project. You both must be VERY proud. What a treat even to see it on the net, but I would imagine, how much more WOW it would be in reality, actually, it is hard to imagine, but it would be a sight to behold.

Your picture, #7 - Could it be Pearl Meidiland(sp). I have two standards of it, and it looks very similar to yours. I love it!

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• loveisroses
    16 years ago

Simply breathtaking....I am at a loss for words!

Gabby

• msjam2
    16 years ago

What a fantabulous garden... I can just imagine the fragrance! Gosh ... is that what heaven looks like??

The rose in the middle on the first picture, what kind of trellis did you use? Is that one of those from Lowes that's about 6 ft tall? I need to get one of those for my climbing Eden but I wasn't sure if it can stand on it's own when it's windy.

• crystalgeorgia
    16 years ago

Reneyda
    What is messenger and where will i get it and liguid feed fish?
    thanks
    crystal

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

Reneyda, I would really appreciate it if you could e-mail me the picture. I can't decide #4 or the very last one (in the second set.) Your garden is truly and inspiration. I always feel that I have to have lots of other plants for balance, but I love roses the most. Your garden is primarily roses and it is beyond gorgeous.
    Nancy

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to answer. We took a few days for a much-needed get away to the mountains.

msjam2, that is the trellis from Lowes. You can see it clearer on the link below. My husband was also concerned that it would not stand up to the wind, so he pounded rebar in the ground and tied it to the legs with galvanized wire. It's been there for several years without budging.

Crystal, I buy messenger at the local feed/seed store in north GA where I buy my organics. I order the liquid fish from a supplier in GA. Let me know and I will email you his number. He can get Messenger for you also.
    Here are the links to order online if you can't find them in your area.

messenger: www.edenbio.com/garden/
    seaweed: www.conservastore.com/02-0159-fertilizer.htm

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

Goodness gracious! I see why you built your deck. Hmmm, which came first? The overlook or the view? Here's a case where the reality has to exceed even your wildest dream of what your garden could be. And now you're inspiring the world! Absolute paradise of color! What must the smell be like when you go for a stroll?! The Lord has truly blessed your efforts. Thank you for sharing.

• r-tist
    16 years ago

I'm new here, so I don't know if it is proper to ask, but would you mind terribly if I showed this page to another group? Would that be a NO NO. Am I going to be smacked for asking? I almost swallowed my tongue when I saw these pix! What a talent you have. Surely all this is not from just one green thumb. Are you the Jolly Green Giant? LOL!
    Jo

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Jo. I don't mind you sharing and I am sure this site's sponsors will welcome anyone bringing attention to it. No Jolly Green Giant here. My husband takes care of the lawn, but it is just me that maintains the garden all season. Keeps me from having to go to a gym for exercise. Blessings, Reneyda

• r-tist
    16 years ago

Thanks so much reneyda, all I can say is you are one "L" of a gardener!!!!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

HI, WHAT CAN I SAY THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SAID. EVERYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I AM LATE IN THE SEASON POSTING THIS BUT I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND LOOK AT ANYTIME I HAVE A CHANCE. I LIVE IN NW GEORGIA AND I AM GOING TO PLANT QUITE A FEW MORE ROSES THIS SPRING. I READ WHAT YOU PUT ON THEM FOR FEEDING BUT COULD YOU CLARIFY A LITTLE BIT MORE. HOW MUCH OF EACH THING AND HOW MUCH YOU USE PER PLANT AND ANYTHING YOU MIGHT THINK WILL BE HELPFUL. I DO REALLY WELL WITH KNOCKOUTS BUT WANT TO VENTURE OUT WITH ALL KINDS OF ROSES. MY CARPET ROSES SEEM TO GET VERY LEGGY AND YOURS SEEM TO LOOK REAL BUSHY. DO YOU STAKE YOURS ANY? THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

Reneyda, your garden is stunning...they all look so big and healthy and loaded with blooms. I think I'm going to check out the roses at Walmart this spring! Are you saying they were mostly body bag roses?

I really like the ring of purple plants you have around your tree, also. It is a great contrast with the many colors of the roses. Your grass looks great also. So you use a pre-emergent weed killer? I've been considering that but was anxious about it getting into my rose beds.

Thanks,
    Linda

• reneyda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Three out-of-town trips last month left me no time for anything else.

Thank you, pretty petals, for your lovely comments. I am sending you an email with details...

Linda, Most of my roses started out as body bags, except for a few that were gifts (maybe 4 or 5). Some died and I took them back for a replacement, but for the most part, they did well.

The ring of purple started out as Impatiens, but the ones in the shade toward the back did well and the ones in the front in full sun always looked dried out. That's why I planted this ring of Purple heart... they are no work at all. I never fertilize them and always forget to water them, but they always look good.

I use Preen all over the yard... I hate weeding!!! As long as I don't plant seed, it works for me.

Blessings, Reneyda

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

Don't know how I missed this one earlier. Words absolutely fail me. Your garden is breathtaking! Now I know what heaven looks like.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

Hi Reneyda, Just looking at your pictures for probably the twentieth time. They are just so pretty. I can't imagine growing roses quite so beautiful. But with your help I am certainly gonna try. I am looking forward to your email. Our weather these last few days have been so nice. It makes me want to go dig in the dirt. How bout you??? Thanks, Judy aka Pretty Petals

• reneyda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone put leaf/branch/pine needle ashes in the soil for roses? I have always composted them, but now I have way too much and started burning them.