Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

From Where I Sit and Some Roses Part 3

boxofrox
13 years ago

We have had a lovely little stretch of sunny weather that almost has us convinced that summer might just make an appearance afterall. We've been waiting for almost 6 weeks to try and have the family over for our annual celebration of all the May birthdays. Now that we've set a date for next weekend, watch the weather head south again :-(

Anyways,from where I sit..................hope you enjoy and thanks for looking !!!

From the dining room..............

Easy Goin and Livin Easy

{{gwi:1245861}}

{{gwi:1245863}}

{{gwi:1245865}}

Pond Pergola

Ginger Sylabub

Westerland

Darlow's Enigma

{{gwi:1245885}}

White Eden

Brandy

Comments (18)

• Zyperiris
    13 years ago

Since the holiday weekend is coming I am quite sure so is the rain

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Darlow's Enigma looks so beautiful, Boxo! I am still waiting for my Cornelia clusters, but they just can't seem to bloom at the same time like your lovely Darlow's clusterings.

White Eden and the purple clematis is spectacular. Another great showing of Ginger Syllabub and Westerland. And READ THAT WRITING ON THE WALL, Spectacular Livin' Easy and Easy Goin are making their splash!

Other cool, cool ornaments! The glass fish and glass ball are perfectly matched! with the yellow and the swirly patterns.

I am ultra-crossing my fingers that you'll still get that wonderful B-Day barbecue/Fourth of July whammy of Triple Sunshine Decker Delight! We'll be sending tons of sunshine thoughts your way, Boxo!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

KG,

You are so sweet !!! You can bet I know that if it was up to you, we'd have a DDG day for our get together :-) It's looking like one of two days will be nice now we still have to co-ordinate with everyone. It might still be a no go.

Is Cornelia similar to Darlow's and does it have that subtle sweet fragrance ?

I was thinking of you today so I shot a couple of shots, the first one I made sure to get my feet into the frame ;-)

Lounging on the sofa................

Here come them hydrangeas :-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

LOL. on the feet pic Boxofrox. Everythings looking great in your garden! Has that weather of yours cleared up yet?

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Jim and thanks :-)

The weather is much improved although I had to go on a cushion safari last night because they were talking rain. I don't like them all getting wet ifn the temps aren't warm enough to dry them quickly so I gather them all and throw them on the sofa where I'm laying in the pic :-) It still hasn't rained but better safe..................

How's that Livin Easy coming ?

• majenta
    13 years ago

Paradise! And, I like the feet too!

• msjam2
    13 years ago

Jim, do you have a whole bush shot of Darlow's enigma? I'm thinking about getting one but want to see it first. How's the fragrance?

Great pics btw, it truly is heaven !

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

hahaha, that is hilarious Boxo!

Well, I am crossing my fingers that your rooms will be filled with Happy FEET for the Fourth of July. I'm starting the countdown of good wishes FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! I can just imagine everyone sitting down on all those patio chairs and sunroom chairs for that delicious honey-glazed cherry mesquite salmon!

Hydrangeas are going gangbusters too!

OK! I'm gonna be back with the photos of what Cornelia was supposed to do. And she is very sweetly fragrant--packs a whopper in these tiny baby blooms. She's supposed to multi-cluster like your Darlow's Enigma, but Lopsided Gardener keeps creating lumps, hahaha! And she's supposed to be much larger in bloom size than what I'm getting as well. She is also supposed to be famously BS resistant. She has non-conventional leaf foliage, very bright and elliptical.

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

OK! I'm back here is what Cornelia is supposed to be like in terms of massive blooming like your gorgeous Darlow Enigma's very beautiful and prolific sprays.

{{gwi:1245849}}

But then here is my pathetic showing, lol! Huge difference between the 2.

13 years ago

Boxofrox, Glad to hear your weather has improved! Our Livin Easy is doing really good.
    We had the start of rose slug attack on every rose except Livin Easy.
    They didn't bother LE.
    This time I did not slip & fall on a slug. lol
    I used safers insecticide to control the slugs and we only got minor damage so far.

13 years ago

Here's one of our LE blooms Boxofrox.
    {{gwi:1245897}}

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys :-)

KG...............it's going to happen this weekend for sure. Hoping for good weather because the carpet is called 'Peach Blush' for a reason ;-) Ooooh, me thinks I like Cornelia, lumps and all.

Jim, I'm thinking you will like the Easy's as much as I do. I'm still fumbling around the nonspray thing and they handle my learning curve much better than all my other roses.

msjam2, I just have an old one from last year. I want to say she was 3 or 4 and the others were new. I try to keep her at about 8' tall and about 10' wide at the top of the fence. It's a compromise her and I have agreed upon ;-) She is very healthy and loves her locale. The fragrance is nice but nothing I would call exquisite or nothing. This was taken around this time last year. Now she has intertwined with White Eden (DE far left and WE far right with WS2000, Gertrude Jekyl, and The Prince between).

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Well, I am crossing my fingers Boxo, that it will drape and flower as profusely as your Darlow's. Cornelia is a borderline climber/shrub and mine definitely is acting like a climber, very vigorous which is why she reminds me so much of your Darlow's but she is still a very young own-root. By the way my Royal Sunset has already bloomed, hurray! But they won't be as gorgeous as your niece's because for one thing I don't get up soon enough to take the best photos. I constantly oversleep and don't catch my blooms at their very tip-top shape and by the end they have already become puffy marshmallows, lol! Lumps and Marshmallows instead of your spectacular firework rose displays, Boxo, hahaha!

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

gorgeous! So great!

But what is that stunning purple clematis with white eden?

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

aimee,

I'm working on trying to figure that out because at this point I don't actually know. That is such a narrow and shallow planting bed because the 4" roof drain line runs through there. In the last picture I posted of Darlow's for msjam2 you can see the raised bottomless planters I made out of 18"x18" pipe for the roses to give them a little added root room on top of the bed. The year before I planted about a dozen clematis alternately between those with very marginal success. That one came back and I replanted about 10 more. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what that one was because I am smitten with it especially as a companion for White Eden. Once I find it in my records I will let you know :-)

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Fourth of July, Fourth of July, Bday-reunion, party-family celebration, keeping those fingers triple-crossed! Gettin' closer to the DAY, Boxo!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

KG,

At this point, I don't know what to expect. Yesterday and today both were off and on rain all day. The good news is that I was able to get most of the pruning and cleaning up done, the bad news is almost all the roses are in between flushes. But it is what it is. We are trying this new recipe for beef tenderloin sandwiches and momma is cooking that in the oven so..............I'm just hoping it's garden party and not in out of the rain-orama ;-)

I actually did take a few shots of the ones I'm going to cut for a bouquet for the table. There's a bunch of Hot Cocoa which my oldest niece loves so I'll use that with LE and EG and Scent from Above ;-)

• rosemeadow_gardener
    13 years ago

Boxofrox,I hope your get together goes off well.
    My little daughter wanted to visit your Pergola area, I had to tell her it was too far away and over the ocean. Your garden looks very beautiful and tidy.