Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Traffic stoppers! Ramblin Reds' on Arbor with Champlains

pappu
17 years ago

sorry about the blotched reds, my camera does not handle reds well. The red of the champlains and the Rambling reds look so much better in real...

{{gwi:260387}}

{{gwi:260411}}

Comments (26)

• boxwoodguy
    17 years ago

Wow that is so beautiful. I would camp out on your front lawn !

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Soooo beautiful....I wish you were my neighbor!

Deb :o))

• cottagegrdnr
    17 years ago

Well, if I had your green thumb, I would fill my entire yard with roses and flowers...and if I were a rich man, I'd fly you to Virginia to take my garden in hand. Lush only begins to describe your roses...and the good kind of lush!

P.s., I don't know what camera you are using, but if you added a polarizing filter on your lens, you would retain the blue in the skies, have more dramatic clouds and temper those reds. Not all cameras take filters, but it's worth checking out.

~Mark

• katerosie
    17 years ago

car accident? beautiful, beautiful mass of red.

• sarah1
    17 years ago

That's really beautiful. You've even got the co-ordinating colour car in the last picture - well done!

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all! Ramblin' red and Champlain are two reds that everyone should have, especially the cold zoners.
    Ramblin red is iron clad hardy, does not need to be sprayed, blooms are large, last a long time and has the best repeat of any climbers. It likes to ramble more than climb (unlike, say New Dawn which has those loooong never ending canes), but with training, is finally going over my arbor. It does not like fertilizers much and promptly sheds its leaves if given too much, especially in the summer heat. A great climber for cold zoners and hybridized by the same guy who bred Knockout!

Champlain gets a lot of flak on the forum and I am always perplexed by this. Mine are vigorous on own root (those were tiny twigs planted last spring), healthy, and just is covered with blooms all season, so many that you cannot see leaves. I dont think there can be another rose more floriferous than this one. And they last a loooong time. They are known to get powdery mildew in fall, but with my monthly Bayer spray, I have never seen this. Of all roses, they love alfalfa the most and the number of basals they throw up after each application is amazing! In my zone, they are hardy to the tips. They are an excellent, if not better replacements for knockouts for zone 5 and above. They even have a great yellow fall color!

• ramblinrosez7b
    17 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your photos. What is the white clematis on the arbor with Ramblin Reds called? How many Champlains plants do you have planted there?

• paulieinct
    17 years ago

Stunning display. I can see you are a perfectionist. Not a blade of grass out of place. Yes, Ramblin' Red is a godsend to us in zone 5. Totally winter hardy, healthy, and floriferous. Mine is just starting to bloom. I bought two more. Also am trying another Radler rose - Climbing Carefree Sunshine. I've tried the bush form and it came through the winter fine. Hoping the climbing version turns out to be the yellow equivalent of Ramblin' Red. As you know, we are desperate here in zone 5 for hardy climbers. There is nothing more breathtaking than a well-grown climber in full flush. keep up the good work, and photos. -Paul

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paul, thank you!
    Ramblinrose, the clematis is Ramona. It had a great spring show and the few blooms you see are the ones aged to a white. It blooms just before the roses and the arbor is covered in blue. I planted too many chaplains in that row. 9 of 'em. I didnt realise that they did not have any winter dieback and retain all of their size every year. They are growing into a dense hedge and so far they dont seem to be bothered by the close planting. If I had to do them again, I would have planted only 6 in that row..

• tree_oracle
    17 years ago

I'm in awe! Absolutely breathtaking!!

• char_rose
    17 years ago

Someone loves the color RED. What a Show Stopper! How many accidents have you had when cars brake suddenly in front of your home? Boy if those bushes were mine, I would be prouder than a peacock! They are just fantastic. In fact, I have looked at your post several times, because I was awestruck.

Please keep posting...we need to see what other magic you can do.

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

I bought 2 Ramblin' Red last year thanks to enabling here... So far I am very please with them.

I just planted 3 Champlain in the garden room that I bought at Great Lake Roses. Sure hope mine do as well as yours. If yours were only twigs when you planted them....wow...mine were 3 gallon pots! Fingers crossed..
    Marylu

• patricianat
    17 years ago

very attractive. now that's curb appeal en masse.

• jean_ar
    17 years ago

That is simply the most beautiful site I have seen in a long time.Didn't know could raise roses like this in Illinois.All I ever seen growing up there was corn fields.
    Thank you for sharing your gorgeous yard.

Jean

• Carrie_AZ
    17 years ago

WOW, I like that, very beautiful!!!!! I like the way you kept the colors together. I planted 2 red hybird tea Mirandys in my front yard together between my house and the neighbors. Now that I have seen your picture, I think I am going to plant more reds with the Mirandy's in a hedgerow. Thanks for the idea. I really like the colors together, I wish I would of thought of that for my garden 12 years ago when I moved into my house here. It gives it a clean line look . But I think I will continue on with the red roses out front.
    Loves it!!!!!
    Carrie

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

WOW---How many accidents do you have in front of your house??--LOL

What a gorgeous sight !

Florence

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was walking thru my roses today and My Ramblin reds are sending up many strong basals and is just totally covered with huge, red blooms. Just love this rose. Zone 5'ers, you all need this one! Vigorous on own root, a small twig from Heirloom grew half way up the arbor by the end of fall...so, you still have time to plant this one!

• Paul_on_Lake_Mich
    17 years ago

Hi pappu,

Just amazing! Your garden is a perfect example of the dramatic effects that can be achieved with hardy roses. I have one of each of these and I love them both. Champlain is an invaluable landscape variety and RR is an amazing climber. (I think it's Radler's best work to date.) And they are both about as red as you can get.

And, yes, Champlain is far superior in every way to ugly Knockout which isn't that great of a rose here. ;-) It's a pleasure to see these photos.

Paul

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Pappu I thought I had left a note here for you, sorry about that, I was sure I had. LOL

Anyway, just wanted to say your RR is amazing and so is Champlain. I have both these roses and have to agree with you that RR is the best red climber around. A close second and third would be Sympathie and Quadra, both are iron hardy here too. I do not spray my roses.

You have a wonderful eye and sense of balance. Great job.

Valerie

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!
    I am just amazed that RR is not more widely available or advertised, especially for the cold zones. The explorers get so much publicity, but this full bodied red rarely gets mentioned. The bloom form and color and repeat is so much better than the canadian explorers. The canes are long and pliable and great for training. This one is totally no spray. Radler really came up with a winner with this one. In their second year, they are truely outstanding and I can only imagine what year 3 onwards will be like..

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    17 years ago

Pappu, a friend had given me the link to your thread ... WOW, that's some awesme color you've got going on there! I have seen RR available the last few years at a local nursery, I've been tempted that's for sure .... but, since 'Henry Kelsey' is not hardy in zone 3, I didn't have much hope for it's offspring RR. On the other hand, 'Quadra' often comes through our harsh winters with plenty of live wood. But, how I wish I lived in zone 5 or 6 !!!

Terry

• aamir
    17 years ago

Jeeze Louise, talking about heavenly gardens, that is stunning.

Aamir Waheed

• aunt_lou
    17 years ago

Thank you for posting these lovely pics! It has helped me make up my mind to purchase Ramblin Red. Now I must look into that Champlain. What is the lovely row of lighter pink in the background? Just beautiful!

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

Hi Aunt Lou,

I haven't seen Pappu on this forum for some time now and not sure if he still posts here. So, since i know the answer to your question, i thought i'd answer it for you. The light pink roses in the background are the rose, "Carefree Wonder".

• aunt_lou
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for answering my question, morden man. The pink "Carefree Wonder" row behind the red roses is so beautiful! Pappu certainly has gorgeous roses----and arranged so nicely too.

• teka2rjleffel
    17 years ago

I was hooked on your previously posted Ramblin' Red and had no luck finding it. I think it was past season. Season is something I forget about here. It is so gorgeous. Is the house across the street for sale by chance? I think I'd have to make an offer on it.
    Nancy